vinyl purchases

Mr. Josey Wales

UGA student
Apr 13, 2004
athens, georgia
i just went to the record store in downtown athens, ga (birthplace of R.E.M., widespread panic, UGA)

i found Pink Floyd - Meddle for 7 $ in good shape

Nektar - down to earth 5$(couldnt believe they had that, completes my collection)

Steely Dan - the Royal Scam 3$(completes my SD collection)

so i had a pretty good day ;)

anybody else find any good deals in local record stores?

two of my fav prog albums i got at this place for 2 $ caravan's blind dog, and nektars remember the future :OMG:

what do yall think about meddle, DTE, and TRS?

what is your favorite steely dan album? song?

This month I picked up 2 copies of the long sold out Agalloch's Tomorrow Will Never Come EP for $15 each, limited Edition of 500.

And got Agalloch's The Mantle on vinyl from Century Media for $13.

I'm getting more and more into vinyl, probably have around 300, need to buy a new record player, preamp and speakers...

yeah same here, my setup is pretty shitty, but i just dont have the money for something high end right now. everything soudns good to me though :)

i have way too much stuff for my little apartment room right now! records and cd's and clothes and food and books everywhere...good times i guess

what does a gay snake sound like??

thsssssssssssssssssth

what do bricks and fat white women have in common??

they both eventually get laid by mexicans.

I've also just recently got into the whole vinylthing... its pretty tough on the wallet...:kickass:

The latest ones I've bought are;

Marduk - Fuck me Jesus
U2 - October, War and Joshua Tree
Sigur Rós - Takk... (Beautiful 2-LP + 7")
Opeth - Damnation
Cradle of Filth - Vempire (limited red edition)
Metallica - Limited Box set of 5000. Includes the four first albums + Garage Days Revisited and Creeping Death EP on vinyl...

great stuff...

i used to have creeping death EP on cassette, it was the only music i had in my car until i got a CD player....

everyday after school id roll down my windows and blast creeping death on the way home....good times

best part is the DIE! DIE! DIE! part :headbang:

Mr. Josey Wales said:
yeah same here, my setup is pretty shitty, but i just dont have the money for something high end right now. everything soudns good to me though :)

At least you have a player. When I moved I couldn't take my shitty one with me, and I'm buying records I can't listen to :lol:

I'm not sure what table or I'm going to get, but I think I'm going to build a Bugle Preamp and Powersupply it gets really good reviews for the price.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
what do yall think about meddle
Amazing. Echoes is the best song ever created.

I love getting records. Just the other weekend at a flea market, I got records by John McLaughlin, Edgar Winter Group, Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues and Peter Frampton for 9 bucks. Average of 1.50 each. Record stores are a bit more pricey, but whatever. Besides, some of mine were packaged wrong, but in a good way - the Moody Blues album sleeve has TWO LPs in it, one that's supposed to be there and one of a totally different Moody Blues album. That ruled.

So far the Billy Joel is my favorite of those (Glass Houses). Edgar Winter Group pretty much is just standard, generic 70s rock except the last track "Frankenstein" which rules hard.

I probably have about 20-25 records in all.

THe problem is , my record player is an old POS I got for five bucks at another flea market. one of the speaker jacks is fucked so the speaker plugged in it gets lots of static all the time, and it spins a bit too fast so songs play at a higher tempo and about a half-step higher in pitch than they should be. But not such a big problem. I'm not shelling out 500 dollars for a quality turntable.

my friend got mirage for a few bucks at a record store, and then gave it to me....he didnt even seem like he liked it..

i was like dude! it has lady fantasy on there! at least keep it for that...

he said he didnt really want it, so i traded him the royal scam by steely dan which he loves.

i just now bought the royal scam again to complete the collection

my mirage cover has a cartoonish picture of a camel with a diamond....

what does yours look like???

Jude said:
Amazing. Echoes is the best song ever created.

Glad someone agrees with me on this.

On a random note, I just bought the DSOTM documentary last night (it was only 10 bucks, I couldn't resist) and its pretty informative watch. Anyone else seen this? I love how they show all the different parts of each song, theres so much going on in that album, even more than I had thought.

I plan to really start collecting some vinyl this summer when I bring my turntable up here from home. Its kind of a weird turntable/radio/cd player. The problem is it has built in speakers and I want to get better ones. Can someone give me a general price range and maybe certain products to look at if I wanted to get a somewhat good but affordable turntable/amp?

i got a brand new low end turntable for 150 (stanton) and a used amp for 50 bucks....that is the cheap way out..

course id love to have a better setup when i get more money, but it works great for me right now. if your looking for something cheap, that might be an option

Scourge of Malice said:
Glad someone agrees with me on this.
\m/
I plan to really start collecting some vinyl this summer when I bring my turntable up here from home. Its kind of a weird turntable/radio/cd player. The problem is it has built in speakers and I want to get better ones. Can someone give me a general price range and maybe certain products to look at if I wanted to get a somewhat good but affordable turntable/amp?
From what I can tell, anything worth getting is about 300 dollars. I have my 5 dollar secondhand one, but it's a POS like I was saying.

Everything you ever wanted to know etc... see below...

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/bbs.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/bbs.html

This is one amazing audio enthusiasts web-site...

Do a search on Opeth, there are some Opeth related subjects buried in here, see below... enjoy!

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/searc...wmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=ALL

Mike did have a Project T/Table a while back, (maybe a 'Debut) he could do alot better, imo" :) I don't have a clue about the rest of Mike's Hi-Fi system. :(

I don't think he has the time to put a full blown all singing/dancing system together although I'm sure he can afford one now he is receiving the proper rewards/aclaim for his creative genius. :headbang:

There's a plentyful amount of good old Hi-Fi on e-pay at bargain prices, feel free to ask me about anything that take's your fancies peeps...

Happy listening.

dcat.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
my mirage cover has a cartoonish picture of a camel with a diamond....

what does yours look like???

Same.

http://www.inertron.com/camel/mirage.jpg

I like the other cover better.

On another note, I just got the remastered edition of Stupid Dream on vinyl. It's meant to be nicly marbled black and grey, but the 2nd disc is just plain old grey.. A bit disapointing really.

I have around 350 albums now. I pick most of them up at three or four thrift stores near where I work. I usually go during my lunch hour. I do buy from the local used CD/Record stores. I have two near my house but they are a bit pricey. I only buy there when I'm looking for something specific. I did snag a copy of Ghost Reveries at a record store in Mississippi a few months ago.

One of my current favorite albums is Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream and Other Delights. This guy sold a billion copies of this album because it is in every single thrift store I go to. I have three copies. One near mint and the other two in very good+ condition. I paid $0.50 each. It has killer cover art!