What are you learning?

At first, they look hard, but they're really alot simpler than you think, but then you remember that it's John Petrucci we're talking about, and you realize that it's hard by default.

Ptah Khnemu said:
At first, they look hard, but they're really alot simpler than you think, but then you remember that it's John Petrucci we're talking about, and you realize that it's hard by default.

+1

It didn't take me terribly long to learn those sweeps for the most part. Once I got it good at a slower speed I just blasted through it up to speed, it was great fun.

These days I'm not learning much, but I'm in a learn stuff on an electric guitar that's unplugged phase...it makes learning quicker licks very meticulous. So to even further test this theory of playing unplugged will equate to better plugged in abilities, I'm learning the intro to The Damnation Game. It's a blast to learn and it accidentally helped my string skipping too. After I get this up to speed it's onto the solos and interludes of that tune...woo boy will that be a workout.

Well, the way it happened to me was I played unplugged for about a month due to the absence of an amp, then when I got one it was making all sorts of noise... Mainly because when you play plugged all the time you gotta mute the strings you don't play and it's not necessary to do so unplugged. I guess I just had to get used to that again.

I was playing DI into the computer yesterday with a clean signal running through Amplitube for distortion. But I don't think it can patch the distortion over realtime so I was pretty much playing unplugged until I played it back with distortion..... and it was crap. I totally agree that unplugged will help with picking, but other stuff like dynamics u just don't have much of a clue on (sea of lies tapping solo in particular since I tried it and couldnt hear myself).

bball_1523 said:
man I feel so behind. All of you are working on these technical songs and I'm hear struggling to play master of puppets lol.

Master of puppets isn't that easy man, if you play it right. Not like some dude on youtube who misses half of the notes, :cool:

hell I can't play that song right, downpicking the whole damn thing, I respect hetfield for being such a badass:kickass:

Ptah Khnemu said:
Alternate Picking FTW!!
Rep points +1

I'd rather alternate pick than sweep, mainly cause I'm infinite better at it in comparison :lol:

PS: Under a Glass Moon is a super-fun song to learn. The solo took me like a day to get right but it's well worth it to see your friends' reactions in the end :headbang:

I was going to learn some Racer X stuff since I don't know many of their actual songs, I just learn PG licks but I prefer to work on technique than learning songs nowadays.

urinalcakemix said:
I was able to develop a blastbeat technique (TOP SECRET) that lets ME at least - play George Kollias Blastbeats without straining myself

by "develop" you mean "steal from gary" right?

I am working on schubert moment musical number 2, scarlatti sonata k. 2, stuff in my metal bands and my scales :)