Whats your drum pan like?

I go by audience perspective generally, so obviously reversed values for drummer perspective. Also my kit has two rack and two floor toms. Sometimes I pan a little bit wider and sometimes a little narrower, but these are around normal for me.

Also, I use ORTF for overheads and record them to a stereo track. I like the spread it gives me, seems natural yet wide. Not crazy wide, but also not even close to mono. I get plenty of Hats in the OH, but I mic up the ride since it can get lost in the craziness.

Kick: C
Snare: C
Tom 1: 35% R
Tom 2: 20% R
Tom 3: 25% L
Tom 4: 40% L
Ride: 50% L
Overheads: 100/100

Naturally, the rack toms are more central in the OHs, but I still pan them a bit for a balance and their own space.

I like some spread on the toms, but can't stand those 100/0/100 panning and can't believe they can be found on pro mixes.

steel-drum-pans-drums.jpg

LOL

Nein. I prefer Glyn Johns vs. spaced pair though, as I try to go for more natural sounding drums. You have to pan them oddly to get the imaging right, and even with the one mic hard-panned the overall spread of the kit is not as wide.

I ask for Spaced pair because I know lot of pro drummer also in production world and all pan 60 L/R max with huge kit for get something like a real kit picture...

Hats-50L
Kick-C
Snr-C
T1-45L
T2-20L
Flr1-40R
Flr2-70R
Oh-85L/R
Room-according to mic placement.

It depends on the song really.. most often:

Kick - Center
Snare - Center(The reverb panned 15% left.)
Hihat - 25% left
Ride - 75% right
Tom1 - 100% left if over 120bpm, 50% left if below 120bpm.
Tom2 - Center(Slightly panned either direction depending on style.).
Tom3 - 50% right(If there is only 3 toms = 75% right.)
Tom4 - 75%-85% right
OH - 100 - 100 (Most of the time.)
Ambiance - Depends on how it was recorded

I like really wide drums, especially when there is a fast fill i want it to kind of "run through your head" if you listen with headphones.

This is the most realistic sounding, and as for audience perspective, the only member of your audience that actually cares will be a drummer, and he will want to air-drum along.

My mother will never tell me a mix of mine sounds weird because the sock cymbal is on the wrong side, but a drummer might.

DRUMMERS PERSPECTIVE ALWAYS.

In a basic kit, I pan this way :
Kick:C
Snare Top and Bot : C
Tom1:60L
Tom2:15R
Flor: 60L
Oh: 100L/100R
Hat: 50L
Ride:60R

This is the most realistic sounding, and as for audience perspective, the only member of your audience that actually cares will be a drummer, and he will want to air-drum along.

My mother will never tell me a mix of mine sounds weird because the sock cymbal is on the wrong side, but a drummer might.

DRUMMERS PERSPECTIVE ALWAYS.
and what if the drummer is a lefty?!?!?!?!?! (just kidding :p)

Kick: Center
Snare top and bottom: center
Hi-hat: anywhere from 20-50 left
toms: if there's 5 then it usually goes something like
1: 100L
2: 50L
3: 10L or 10R
4: 50R
5: 100R
Overheads: hard left and right
room mics: hard left and right

I try to base it around how the kit was set out so the panning of the mics compliments the OH and vice versa...

normally

Kick - 0
Snare - 0
Hi-Hat - 100
OH L/R - 100/100
Rack Tom 1 - 25
Rack Tom 2 - 35
Floor Tom 1 - 80-100 (depending on cymbal setup/ whether there is a second floor tom)

I stick to Audience Perspective. Hearing it at drummers perspective just throws it off for me......I feel that the music should give a more listening vibe than playing along to it. I want people to feel like they are watching something spectacular. LoL When has music ever sounded good when you play live and listen from the drummers seat? hahaha

Kick-0
Snare-1 R
Hi Hat-13-25% R
Ride-50% L
OH L-100% L
OH R-100% R
TOm 1-30% R
TOm 2-30% L
Tom 3-60% L
Room Mics-80-100% LR

I stick to Audience Perspective. Hearing it at drummers perspective just throws it off for me......I feel that the music should give a more listening vibe than playing along to it. I want people to feel like they are watching something spectacular. LoL When has music ever sounded good when you play live and listen from the drummers seat? hahaha

I use audience perspective as well