Why I love Rhapsody by Greg Massi

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
Ok time for me to get shit from the UM community but I have been listening back to all the Rhapsody albums this past week and I decided that I really love the band and I got to thinking about why this band always gets slammed by most metal fans, although their albums sell tremendously well apparently, go figure. So I thought I would look at it logically and present my opinions to everyone here.

Let's look at why they are cheesy first. There's their narrator who is so bad at speaking that it becomes humorous just to listen to him. There is the storyline to their albums which is spread out over their five releases and has the plot, originality, and character development of a third rate NES RPG from the late 80's, which in turn makes their lyrics very stupid, and they are at the core a power metal band which automatically makes the cyncial american metal fans dismiss them as shit because it seems to me the overall feel of american metal fans is that they want darkness, aggression and evil and anything contrary is "gay." And power metal has that nasty tendency to be happy.

But as I listened to rhapsody I made some observations. As I really paid attention to the parts the band members play I realize that they are probably the second most musically interesting power metal band out there, with Blind Guardian being the best imo. They have many layers of music, lots of counterpoint, and so many dynamic changes that make the music complex and interesting without overly relying on tech-y shit and trying to impress musicians. Contrast this with most power metal bands who rely on three or four power chords to make up their song because they are just trying to be a cheap helloween copy and think that by putting harmonies over the top of the chords they are making real "interesting" music. Fucking Rhapsody's harmonies in the guitar and keyboard and the other parts destroy any of those bands imo.

Next we have Luca Turilli who while being to blame for their horrendous stories and lyrics is the most versatile guitarist i have heard in awhile. His chops as a rhythm player and lead player are flawless. He shreds with ease and with actual emotion and phrasing and the riffs he writes for the band are so fucking good. Again he doesn't rely exclusively on power chords, he actually uses melodic themes in the riffs and even when they are playing faster than shit he never loses his precision, speed, and technique. To me his performances as a rhythm player on their albums put most thrash or death metal wannabes to shame.

i could go on for days about what is awesome about this band, i mean the epic chopirs which are always awesome, the way they use strings and flutes compositionally, the fact that they make Yngwie Malmsteem who is the supposed "king" of neo-classical metal look like a hack, etc. I think my main problem with the band is that i want to hear what they could do with a real orchestra instead alot of the synths they tend to rely on because nothing beats the real thing. So I leave with the question of why did I feel so guilty liking this band for so long? Its obvious to me I love them almost as much as Blind Guardian and I have stopped listening to most other power metal bands because they bore me to death but Rhapsody continually puts out at least a few amazing songs on each album and for brightening my day with their music I say more power to them.

fin

they are good.

I enjoy the first two albums...the rest I just got tired of.

two things I want to disagree on.

Luca blows...I think his chops are very mediocre..his sweep picking sounds really lazy....kinda sloppy and note much seperation between the tones.

It's obvious his a Jason Becker-phile...but I think becker can play better with ALS than Luca can.

another thing...have you ever heard him bend?
I don't think I have.

not to mention the fact that he has a mullet.

I think Malmsteen owns him (of course when I talk Malmsteen, I talk first 3 albums plus Alcatrazz and Steeler)

this is the point where I'd like to say, that Michael Romeo is Symphony X is currently the best all around metal guitarist.

He's got chops out his ass...like Malmsteen meets Shawn Lane, he's a freak nasty riffer, his solos are very well composed, thought-out and interesting, and listen to "The Odyssey" and you'll hear orchestration that simply poops on Rhapsody.

Secondly..in this genre...I would say that early Angra is the best band.

Holy Land is the best symphonic metal album ever...
it's so much more mature than Rhapsody, and there's alot more subtly involved, rather than just bombastic baroque excursions.

say what you want about Matos being a pussy, the fact is he's a brilliant musician, plays keyboards, pianos, organs, and composes very well for orchestra and choir.
Also his melodies are fantastic. And on top of everything is the ethnic instrumentation, percussion and Brazilian vibe of the album.

oh and another thing that annoys me about Rhapsody is Fabio's overstated vibrato...it's just a little too much more me sometimes.

eitherway, this band is good..they get shat on by "cool" metal dudes all the time, but whatever..they are masters of their craft.

actually after re-listening to the first two albums i would agree a bit about luca being lazyish and sloppy but i think my main point of reference for my post was the last couple albums where luca has really gotten tighter and more precise with everything and the music sounds amazing because of it.

i don't mean to diss on yngwie because i do enjoy qa few of his songs but wait of course i mean to diss on yngwie because he is an asshole. but he can back it up somewhat with his early efforts but lately he sounds tired and boring and his albums have just gotten worse and worse from what i have heard.

as for angra they are good but i prefer the bombast of rhapsody. although i do enjoy those guitar players solos more. anyway, this is all just my stupid opinion anyway. :)

My name is Luca, I live on the second floor.

Actually I'm a pretty big power metal fan. I've only got one Rhapsody cd but I think it's pretty good. But that narrator does suck.

euro power metal bands I can still enjoy on a regular basis.

Matos-era Angra
Shaman (naturally)
Labyrinth
Blind Guardian
and the last two Nocturnal Rites CDs, because they are really cool and darker than most power bands without losing the catchiness and sing-songy-ness.

tad morose bores me to tears.

kamelot is the biggest scam in all of metal...they owe 99.9% of their success to their production team of miro and sascha paeth.

but they are nice to listen to still.

the second avantasia blows. I like the first one.