Working with music you don't want to: How do keep sanity?

Gojira_, you phrased your question the wrong way.
You can't keep your sanity in this biz, after all we're all a bunch of lunatics :loco:

Question is...how do survive?

As for your problem, I think those christraping backvox might work best.
Also, practice them while you're mixing with him being present, give him some of your love!

And tell that record label dude that he's actually an emo.
If he wants to be BM he has to kill somebody else in a burning church whilst drinking
sheepblood imitating a sad pandaclown yelling "My balls are KRIEG!"

Either that or he isn't trve enough!

If he wants to be BM he has to kill somebody else in a burning church whilst drinking

Hahaha... the way of the true necro! .. err, or something.

The worst part is, I don't believe he is kidding but hey, it's his life right so...

You're in black metal for the money... wow.

Now that's quite an awkward statement.

Sounds like being in hip-hop for the intellectual challenge.

Haha yeah... well, there seems to be a lot of money in underground black metal, atleast according to the guy I'm recording. His "label guy" is paying him for all his expenses so he does seem to have some cash atleast, and he'll be paying more if I record his upcoming stuff as well (which hopefully will not be pure BM, since he said himself that he's getting tired of it).

Those true necro BM guys do buy CDs/Vinyls probably more than your average metal head, so I guess that's how they make it go around. I've got nothing to do with BM but I'm not gonna say no to some cash during these hard times.

C'omon Gojira.... you didn't like Black Metal before... you're taking this job for the money... then you can act like a real whore and stop yelling about how fat you costumer is....

Guess you've got a point there with the hooker analogy but ... everybody needs to vent sooner or later man :D

Just play a blast beat through the song. That's probably the easiest thing for you to do. The key ingredient in black metal is hate, so take all the hate you feel about the riffs, and turn it into SUPER FAST BLAST BEATS hell yes.

There's nothing wrong with good black metal...

Haha good fucking point, I can just play sloppy and shitty and say I was expressing my hate... should work!

Definitely.

And what comes to the OP's problem: it's your job, just do what it takes or pick a new one ;)

Yea I wasn't saying I regretted taking it, just that I need to find a way to mentally block those incoming BM riffs that tear my mind apart if I listen for too long :) I was able to sleep tonight though, so I guess it should be alright. If I made it through the first day, I should make it through the rest haha.

its better than having to produce kylie minogue....now shes pure black metal

Dude, I'd "produce" her in many ways... just bring her on.

Gojira_, you phrased your question the wrong way.
You can't keep your sanity in this biz, after all we're all a bunch of lunatics :loco:

Question is...how do survive?

As for your problem, I think those christraping backvox might work best.
Also, practice them while you're mixing with him being present, give him some of your love!

Ah well yes of course... you are right. It's hard to avoid becoming a psycho in this biz, but atleast I could become a funny "happy" type of psycho... atleast I would much rather wanna be that than a psycho who thinks darkness is the tr000 way.

Ah fuck, replying takes a while... now I'm almost late for my part-time job!

"My balls are KRIEG!" made me spit lemonade all over my monitor YOU FUCK

Sorry but I have to disagree here. I don't have to judge him, he automatically lets me know how much he sucks when he can't say what BPM his songs are in, and when he can't even tune his own guitar... the list goes on.

Well, i have to agree that is a big problem....but that you're paying for... even that wasn't too clear these days, the producers are more important when these guys are that bad. It could be a better oportunitty for you than if you'd got a nice musicians.

Here in Norway Black Metal is the new Britney Spears. But I like recording BM as long as the drummer is kickass and the bandmembers are kewl!

Dimmu is and awsome band, I only know half the members but they are cool and don't take themselves toooo seriously.

Well, i have to agree that is a big problem....but that you're paying for... even that wasn't too clear these days, the producers are more important when these guys are that bad. It could be a better oportunitty for you than if you'd got a nice musicians.

Yea I agree on the producer part... it is getting more and more important and has been for years, and probably will keep going on like that for a while longer.

Here in Norway Black Metal is the new Britney Spears. But I like recording BM as long as the drummer is kickass and the bandmembers are kewl!

Dimmu is and awsome band, I only know half the members but they are cool and don't take themselves toooo seriously.

Well I guess it's a whole different story when the members actually know how to play their instruments and when they aren't narrow minded fanatics.

What I mainly don't like about BM is what it's all about. I don't claim I have deep knowledge about BM and neither do I give a flying fuck, but from what I've come to understand from my narrow minded BM friends here in this crap town, is that BM started in Norway as a way to break out of christianity and the church's grip on people. I guess it's about freedom, not being bound to any religion etc. That sounds good and all, but what I see which they don't seem to see themselves, is that BM has spawned so many "necro cult" bullshits, that it has turned into a religion in itself.

A person who listens to BM is expected to think a certain way, act a certain way, dress a certain way, behave a certain way etc. And if they don't, they are simply cut off from the "necro" status and are just considered fake, not a true BMer etc. For most other styles of metal, the clothing is the only thing that is expected, or so I believe.

I can make this claim because 2 of my old friends from 7th-9th grade are BM people, and an additional 2 friends that I know via the first 2 are also BM people, and those are the people I usually party with so I'm hanging out with 4 BM people and I've come to known them and their "culture" quite well last year.

Hey wait a minute, it just hit me now... I've been hanging with BM people on and off over a year and nothing has happened to me... why am I worried a recording will get stuck in my head and change me into a tr00 necro rapist? :headbang::headbang::headbang:

A person who listens to BM is expected to think a certain way, act a certain way, dress a certain way, behave a certain way etc. And if they don't, they are simply cut off from the "necro" status and are just considered fake, not a true BMer etc. For most other styles of metal, the clothing is the only thing that is expected, or so I believe.

These people preach individualism but are the worst sheeple imaginable without recognising it. Most people making BM, their idols, have nothing to do with their stage persona IRL.

But that dress-code bullshit pisses me off in every sub-genre of metal and borderline genre (everything -core).

But anyway, dude it's Black Metal! You're not supposed to enjoy this! ;) So you're doing it right... haha.

the way i judge riffs is that if his riffs get stuck in your head, then he's making good riffs. doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, if it gets stuck in your head, you will eventually go back to listening to it. thats how you get fans.

the way i judge riffs is that if his riffs get stuck in your head, then he's making good riffs. doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, if it gets stuck in your head, you will eventually go back to listening to it. thats how you get fans.

Hehe yea there is a point in what you're saying .. BUT, there are riffs that are just so annoying that they get stuck in your head the same way as a REALLY good 'n catchy riff would. You know what I'm saying? No? Aaaw fuck! :(