Worse Show

RaptorGTA

Nov 1, 2003
PA,USA
www.angelfire.com
Well...anyone in a band has had them..a show where something or everythign didnt go right..post em up...

Heres mine:

OK, before this day even took place my band did a show last night where we wernt able to leave and be home till around mindnight. The show for today was a diabetic walk for our highschool (note.. this was last year). At around 8:30-9 am we got their to set up. It had been raning allnight and continued even now. There was a smallbuilding with a roof that hung over to offer some shade so we set up under it. We were set up but our other guitarist was no where t o be found..we called his house to find that he had a fire call...shit. Now with no way to reach our guitarist we had no choice but toplay our songs with only one guitarist. Luckyfor us..we knew alot ofpunk song so we first played thoseto keep everyone happy. Within 2 songs the wind picked up making it freezing cold out and now blowing rain at us and on our equpment....shit again! use our coats and anythign we couldfind we covered our amps and the drums but continued playen...

Eventually our guitarist shows up and we jam to some good song...but finally the rain go so bad and we were so cold that we had to stop. We packed up and left after only an hour of really playen. and to make things worse for us..we had another shows to play at around 3pm...that day was hell...but fun..east nothing was damaged...

I think over the amount of shows we've done, gear failure has been the biggest problem in the past. Also, one show we played we were about to start an encore and a roadie for another band tried to pull our bass player off stage as they didn't like the idea of us getting an encore so that nearly turned into a riot :D Basically if it can go wrong, over the course of a lot of shows it does go wrong ... it's all rock n roll at the end of the day :D :headbang:

I don't think i've had a worst show(there is usually something to redeem it)though i have had a lot of incidents.I could probably write a book of mishaps that have occurred.The thing is its all part of the learning process of playing live and makes it a bit more exciting.No doubt there will be more in the future.
Anyway i'll kick off with a gig that occured way back in my first band "Euthanasia" i must have been about 16 or 17 and was quite new to playing live.Basically we were a wannabe thrash band playing Metallica, Megadeth,Sepultura and the like and with a name like ours i would of thought the people that booked us should know what they were in for.
Well we get to the venue-a nice quiet English pub deep in the Surrey countryside and the walls were covered in posters for folk and blues bands.We aren't talking Stevie Ray Vaughan or Clapton either.So we start our set at 10 ish and the handfull of people that are there get into it(incidently who we have brought a long)and the barlady starts ringing the bleedin' last orders bell at 10.20.The band are all looking at each other during our rendition of some Thrash classic ,finish the song and "last one " she goes.(by the way last orders is usually around 11 in England ).The landlord had told us to stop,this wasn't the kind of music he wanted in his establishment,and so our hour set was cut down to a mere 20 minutes.As you can imagine we weren't a happy bunch,i think also the fact that most of the pub were underage didn't help ,but it was a lesson learn't-do your homework on the venue if you can.I've got it recorded on 4 track somewhere and you can hear that bleedin' last orders bell above the din of our music,clear as a bell ,funny enough.

Funny about equipment failure...when that happens to bands down here you don't notice until they've packed up and stomped off stage :D

Closest I can get to one of these stories is about a gig that never even happened...my band and our mates' band were going to both make our live debuts at an open mic night in a pub back in August. Our drummer quit the band the week before. No problem, we thought, our mates don't have a drummer either and we've gone for a year without one anyway! But then our 'singer', who I'd only got in contact with a week or so before never turned up for a rehearsal. To this day I've never met her and can only guess who she actually is :loco: so the night before the gig I'm debating whether or not to do an instrumental set as a three-piece, more inclined to go for it, when the decision against is made for me. Our rhythm guitarist and our mates' rhythm guitarist were playfighting on top of the climbing frame in the park that was our favourite haunt back in those days, and they both fell off. Their guitarist was completely unhurt, ours sadly broke AND dislocated an arm. When we saw him next he told us one of the nurses said it was the worst break she'd same in 10 years. That effectively killed my band...there was only one practise between then and October when I put it on ice and we're just about the get it started again on Saturday.

Funnily enough, that day I'd had a call from a friend who's band had had to pull out of a gig at another pub the next day. I offered it to our mates' band (the one who's guitarist broke our man's arm!), they played it and impressed the headlining band so much they offered 'em another support slot a month later! Our mates did three more gigs before splitting up last month, their singer is curremntly in another band that is a side project of 'headlining band''s bassist. Funny how things work out, eh?

We had a problem with drummers, one of them never turned up, so we fired him a week before our gig, and this guy from my college turned up, cool guy, but the damn technical students (putting on the gig) basically put him up playing for us, without having heard any of the songs. Crowd seemed to enjoy it though.

The problems with drummers seems to be a recurring theme here. I'll counteract those claims by saying that I've never really had a terrible show, and whilst I acknoweledge that i'm tempting fate, I've never had a bad Intense gig either. Except for playing at a certain lesiure centre that has already passed into Intense folklore. But even then there was no real disaster, just a crap, crap setup. The only thing I can think of as being pretty naff was when one of my kick drum pedals flew off during a performance of a Joe Satriani song that one of my mates was doing for a popular music degree. The judges were all sitting there so intent on the guitar performance they didn't even notice me switch feet to start playing with my left foot. Suppose that just shows what one person may consider a disaster is just part of the show to someone else...

One of the problems with bands down here is that nobody seems to know how to cover up disasters. You don't notice something gone wrong until the guitarist starts making funny faces, the singer shouts "I forgot the words!" or the band has already stomped off stage and given up playting :loco: all based on true stories...