ZZ Top

HUGE fan of their Tex-Mex blues days (Up to El Loco) Don't care so much for their MTV friendly output, but yeah, OLD ZZ was and still is the shiznitt!

Edit: THAT'S what I'm talkin' about John! Great pic!

I saw them earlier this year and they were great. One mention about old ZZ versus new ZZ; yeah, old ZZ is definitely better than the MTV stuff, BUT....the last 3 cds (Rythmeen, XXX, and Mescalero) are quite possibly the best albums they've ever released. Talk about a dirty sound! Some of the raunchiest rockin' blues you'll ever hear!

I LOVE ZZTop! They are in a genre all their own. I never get tired of any of their music. Yet to see them live, though. :(

Opened up for them in June. Billy Gibbons can't sing it anymore, still can play guitar though. They weren't really accomodating to us as openers, we were denied the opportunity to meet them, take a picture, and were held from the VIP area for 2 hours per orders of the band directly, even though they were no where to be found period during this time. I guess it's not a huge deal, just disappointing, as it was the first National act I've opened for that wasn't so accomodating.

We opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Doobies last year, and they were all very friendly, I hit it off well with Michael Cartelleone, and chatted with a bunch of the guys in both bands, as well as all their crew who were all very friendly, easy going, non-egotistical dudes. Gary Rossington, JVZ and Billy Powell showed up o nthier own bus less than 3 minutes before going on stage, so I didn't have a chance to talk to any of those 3, but the rest of the band, all the hired guns per se- were all great.

I'm playing with Phil Vassar at the end of September, I have a feeling he's going to be a great guy.

I got to know zzTop in early 80's mainly due a friend discovering and purchasing their 70's LPs and became a fan of their bluesy tex-mex rock. Never was a huge fan of their later Eliminator era with fancy cars & hot chicks videos, but despite went to see them live in 1990 when they came here to perform at a track&field area in northern Helsinki. The area was completely packed with over 20 000 people like sardines in a can and everybody had great time because they made really good live performance and got the crowds in gear.
Later they got lost behind the horizon for a good decade and a half, but this summer their DVD "Live From Texas" unexpectedly skyrocketed #1 on Finnish music DVD charts, so I guess the old fanbase is taking a nostagia trip on their couches drinking beer and watching the furry ole zzTop playing the granddad style Texas Boogie. Lolz!

Opened up for them in June. Billy Gibbons can't sing it anymore, still can play guitar though. They weren't really accomodating to us as openers, we were denied the opportunity to meet them, take a picture, and were held from the VIP area for 2 hours per orders of the band directly, even though they were no where to be found period during this time. I guess it's not a huge deal, just disappointing, as it was the first National act I've opened for that wasn't so accomodating.

We opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Doobies last year, and they were all very friendly, I hit it off well with Michael Cartelleone, and chatted with a bunch of the guys in both bands, as well as all their crew who were all very friendly, easy going, non-egotistical dudes. Gary Rossington, JVZ and Billy Powell showed up o nthier own bus less than 3 minutes before going on stage, so I didn't have a chance to talk to any of those 3, but the rest of the band, all the hired guns per se- were all great.

I'm playing with Phil Vassar at the end of September, I have a feeling he's going to be a great guy.

What band do you play for and what kind of music is it? Phil Vassar is country, so that's what makes me ask.

~Brian~

ZZ TOP Announces Intimate Venue Tour For The US
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 at 20:25:58 EST

BW&BK has received the following press release:

ZZ TOP - Billy F Gibbons, Frank Beard and Dusty Hill - after touring and recording for the past 39 years and have decided to embark on a tour that will bring them even closer, literally, to their legions of fans. Kicking off in Wichita, KS on September 26, the ZZ Top In Your Face Tour will bring the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers to the kind of intimate venues they played much earlier in their tenure as rock's the longest running band with original personnel intact. For six weeks this fall, the trio forswears stadiums, areas and festivals for small theaters where they expect to connect very directly with their audience.

Guitarist Billy F Gibbons explains, "Earlier this year, because of a routing quirk, we accepted a 'fill-in' date at a little old theater in Knoxville. That experience reminded us of our roots, both in terms of a stripped-down, gut-bucket musical approach and the direct connection with the people who came to see us. So we said, 'why not do this on a more extended basis and have some real fun?'"

Though they've just come back from Europe where they played to monumental crowds at festivals in eight countries, the band was game to revisit the experience and, as bassist Dusty Hill puts it, "We figured it would be a kick to, so to speak, get in people's faces and the idea for this tour was born."

Drummer Frank Beard added, "To actually be able to see whole audience and interact with them like this is a throwback to our early days and who wouldn't want to go back in time?"

Earlier this year, at the Nokia Theatre in Dallas, the band was shot for the Eagle Vision DVD release Live From Texas that went on to debut at #1 on Billboard's music DVD chart the week it was released. The title has since returned to the top slot on that chart where it has stayed for two consecutive weeks. They are currently touring the U.S. with Brooks & Dunn packing arenas and sheds around the country. On September 9th, the anniversary of their breakthrough album, Eliminator, will be celebrated with the release of a special Collectors Edition of the RIAA-certified Diamond album (over 10 million units) by Warner Bros. through Rhino Entertainment.

The ZZ Top In Your Face Tour runs for six weeks this fall and brings the band to some major markets including Minneapolis, Nashville, Cleveland, St. Louis, Denver, Indianapolis and Kansas City and some much smaller locales where they haven't played in many years, including Grand Forks, ND; Fort Smith, AR, Huntington, WV and Sioux Falls, SD. A complete ZZ Top In Your Face Tour itinerary follows.

September
26 - Wichita, KS - Century II
27 - Ft. Smith, AR - Convention Hall
28 - Tulsa, OK - SpritBank Event Center
30 - St. Louis - Fox Theatre

October
1 - Kansas City, MO - Midland
3 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
4 - Huntington, WV - Keith-Albee Theatre
5 - Cleveland, OH - Allen Theatre
10 - Columbus, OH - Palace Theatre
11 - Indianapolis, IN - Murat Centre
12 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside
17 - Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum
18 - Grand Forks, ND - Chester Fritz
19 - Sioux Falls, SD - Great Hall
22 - Portland, OR - Arlene Schnitzer Hall
23 - Pullman, WA - Beasley Performing Arts Center
30 - Colorado Springs, CO - Pikes Peak Center
31 - Denver, CO- Paramount Theatre

November
1 - Amarillo, TX - Civic Center Auditorium

I was at the Deguello, El Loco and Eliminator Tours.... Those were good times and great shows...

I saw them after that when they mailed it in... 90 minutes and LATER PEOPLE!! But I know when they are on they are awesome!

Deguello they had themselves on a huge screen each playin' Sax with themselves (is that a sentence?), it was like 6 of them all jammin' very cool...