04 artwork hint.

wolfhoff

Dec 30, 2002
Bristol
Visit site
Great artwork again . Is it not traditional to have a subtle hint within each year`s painting as to whom may be playing. If this is so again for next year I am seeing maybe Whit Skull or perhaps Running Wild (album called Pile of Skulls). Who knows?.

The artwork is on the start page of the website , you cant miss it !. As for Nightwish there was a giveaway in the artwork with the sort of Ocean effect with souls floating in it ( in my mind anyway ) . With Blind Guardian there was a Gandalf and what looked like a few of the characters from Night at the Opera`s cover. Mind you I could be totally wrong !!

... no, I think you're right. Saxon headlined in 2001 and the artwork depicted the demon guy wearing motorbike leathers. I think you're onto something.

However, I don't think the artwork suggests Running Wild. I can see the skulls thing but the generally feel of the cover is a bit "dark" for Running Wild. It's all gloomy and grey and the figures in the background look very foreboding. I may be completely wrong here, but I've always seen Running Wild as being a bit more tongue-in-cheek than that (you know, with the whole "pirate" thing they've got going on). Also, those are unmistakably orcs in the centre circle. And what are pirates doing in a forest? :p

Not that Running Wild wouldn't totally kick ass, of course.

Does anyone know anything about Blind Guardian's next album? Specifically, are they on the verge of releasing a particularly "dark" album? Because that's definitely what this artwork makes me think of. A "dark" version of Blind Guardian. Those orcs do look very Blind Guardian-ish ... although they're by the same artist (right?) so I guess they would be. Also, there are only four prominent figures on the artwork. Blind Guardian are one of only a handful of four-man metal bands that are likely to headline (let's face it, we ain't getting Metallica :D ). In fact, the only other four-man band that I can see headlining Bloodstock 2004 is Gamma Ray, and the artwork doesn't really match their music. On the other hand, the figures in the artwork look a little menacing for Hansi and co. So I might be wrong. And I also might be reading much to deep into this.

Are Grave Digger big enough to headline yet? The artwork could be hinting at them.

(Note: I say "dark" in inverted commas to make it clear that I'm not just talking about colour)

Sadly, the orcs are the final confirmation (as if we needed it confirmed any more) that Iced Earth will NOT be headlining. :(

It looks to me like there's a slight possibility of a metal band playing next year......not sure though :p

Actually I was talking to Paul (Gregory,artist) about this exact topic you guys have started last weekend!!

As much I as would love to think that Blind Guardian will play at BS04 I think it is unlikely. They have not that long finished the tour for Night and, as far as I am aware, are taking a well earned rest before entering the studio to start laying down tracks for the new album, which will hopefully be released next year. There is a rumour that they will play at Wacken next year though I don't know if this is a ruse by Eagle to actually get me to brave the elements and go and cook for him an MentaLee, as he knows I would only do it for a glimpse of Andre Olbrich!! :p ;)

Hmm... Interesting.

What I honestly believe...I can't see any orcs at all.

The skulls would suggest Runing Wild, but nothing else does, my honest thought is Demons and Wizards, I know they have a new album out next year, it was being recorded at the same time as Iced Earth's new one.

The guys in the background look, to me, like soldiers with guns, rifles even, anyone who has seen Iced Earth's new album or single will see what I'm getting at.

Although the dealy in the middle reminds me of the Altars of Madness cover and the skulls may suggest a heavier, maybe even a death metal band, ans also one of those faces, the one on the right looks very familiar or important for some reason.

The golden ring in the middle has a definite, Viking feel to it, I'm getting an Einherjer type vibe from that.

I'm probably wrong on all counts, but worth saying anyway.

Dragonmaiden, I have inside info on these things and Blind Guardian are 100% guaranteed, definately, absolutley and categorically at Wacken next year (maybe :p)

Best read up on the best way to roast an ox anyway!

MentaLee said:
Dragonmaiden, I have inside info on these things and Blind Guardian are 100% guaranteed, definately, absolutley and categorically at Wacken next year (maybe :p)

Best read up on the best way to roast an ox anyway!

:lol: Yes......well until they are announced I won't believe either you or Eagle!! It is a big sacrifice for me to forego my creature comforts for any space of time!! I would only do it for BG!! You would have to put up with me moaning about it all the time!! That might put you off your roast ox!! :p

to be honest this whole link thing is a little tenuous or however thats spelt... for a start the headliners wont be confirmed yet and we'd be told if they were (but they arent until after christmas normally at least...) and theyre not gonna pre-empt any bands... i reckon its just some damn nice artwork... maybe vince should come and clear up this conundrum...

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
What I honestly believe...I can't see any orcs at all.

What would you say the blue guys in the centre circle are then? Some kind of non-specific demon-monster-thing? Because to me they look very much like orcs as they appear on Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth cover art, particularly the ones to the right of the ram.

Regarding Demons And Wizards - yes, I can definitely see it. That would account for the mixture of Iced Earth the grey battlefield in the background) and Blind Guardian (orcs - or whatever they are, and also the centre circle design itself looks like something you'd find in the Lord Of The Rings) imagery. As for the men in the background, I'm fairly sure that one of the four close-up figures on the left has a guitar slung over his shoulder. I'm far from certain on the "four figures equals four band members" thing, though, that's probably me reading too deep into this. That said, if Hansi handles bass then Demons And Wizards would indeed have four members. Now that I think about it (and given what you said about them having a new album on the way) I agree that Demons And Wizards could very well be the band that the image is hinting at.

Morbid Angel are another good possibility, yes, and the grey background does indeed suggest a very heavy, aggressive band. I can also definitely see the connection between the blue circle and the Altars Of Madness cover.

Of course, we could very well be barking completely up the wrong tree and the logo thing could be a silly coincidence, but it's fun to guess all the same. :D