1 have horrible luck

i perfer Michael Madsen's scene with the cop in Reservoir Dogs. :) cut an ear off...

or of corse, the man, Denzel in Man on Fire when he cuts the dude's fingers off one by one till he gets him to talk.

OK, that blows.

So, first of all, the cops -- frets is right. Call. Keep calling. When you become a bigger pain in the ass than a slam-dunk case, they'll give a shit.

If they block you from doing that, go to your local media tip lines -- all of them. Hit them again and again. Sooner or later, one will have a slow news day and will be interested in the cops not wanting to solve a crime that is such a slam dunk. Yes, murders are more important, but come on -- this doesn't even require any real brain power.

In the unlikely event you have renter's insurance, report the theft. Believe me, the insurance company won't want to pay for what the cops can get back, but are just too lazy. THEY are a HUGE pain in the butt.

OK, so you're thinking of breaking lease. Check the landlord tenant laws in PA and Philly. In WA you are jointly and severally responsible for the rent and the apt, whether you live there or not. What that means is, you can move, your roomie can trash the place and skip, and you could end out paying all the rent and damage, and still trying to support your sorry backside somewhere else. That would seriously blow.

Level with your landlord and ask them what your rights are. If they are a professional management company, they may have suggestions I hadn't considered. At the end of the day, you might be stuck just waiting out the lease and then moving, but you don't have to renew -- nobody can make you.

Also, don't forget to check on any utilities that are in your name. Just 'cause it's the electric bill for the apt doesn't mean they wouldn't come after you. If your manager does have a way for you to break lease and run, shut off your utilities and give them the name of the new responsible person. You can't set up the new account, but the power company basically sends a letter that tells the new person what they owe and to get their butt in gear if they like having power.

Now, this is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse, but go to your Local Hardware conglomerate warehouse (Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever the hell you have out there) and buy a front door knob and latch assembly. They lock. Change out the door knob on your bedroom door for the one you bought, the one that locks, and now you can lock your door when you leave. Pay attention to how you take the old one apart and save it so you can reinstall it when you move out.

It never rains, it pours, and it really does suck. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Nightshade said:
OK, that blows.

So, first of all, the cops -- frets is right. Call. Keep calling. When you become a bigger pain in the ass than a slam-dunk case, they'll give a shit.

If they block you from doing that, go to your local media tip lines -- all of them. Hit them again and again. Sooner or later, one will have a slow news day and will be interested in the cops not wanting to solve a crime that is such a slam dunk. Yes, murders are more important, but come on -- this doesn't even require any real brain power.

In the unlikely event you have renter's insurance, report the theft. Believe me, the insurance company won't want to pay for what the cops can get back, but are just too lazy. THEY are a HUGE pain in the butt.

OK, so you're thinking of breaking lease. Check the landlord tenant laws in PA and Philly. In WA you are jointly and severally responsible for the rent and the apt, whether you live there or not. What that means is, you can move, your roomie can trash the place and skip, and you could end out paying all the rent and damage, and still trying to support your sorry backside somewhere else. That would seriously blow.

Level with your landlord and ask them what your rights are. If they are a professional management company, they may have suggestions I hadn't considered. At the end of the day, you might be stuck just waiting out the lease and then moving, but you don't have to renew -- nobody can make you.

Also, don't forget to check on any utilities that are in your name. Just 'cause it's the electric bill for the apt doesn't mean they wouldn't come after you. If your manager does have a way for you to break lease and run, shut off your utilities and give them the name of the new responsible person. You can't set up the new account, but the power company basically sends a letter that tells the new person what they owe and to get their butt in gear if they like having power.

Now, this is kind of like closing the barn door after the horse, but go to your Local Hardware conglomerate warehouse (Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever the hell you have out there) and buy a front door knob and latch assembly. They lock. Change out the door knob on your bedroom door for the one you bought, the one that locks, and now you can lock your door when you leave. Pay attention to how you take the old one apart and save it so you can reinstall it when you move out.

It never rains, it pours, and it really does suck. I'm sorry it happened to you.

thanks for all the advice. i'm gonna bother the shit out of them. and to go pretty much down the line with your tips... if the cops don't work.. i will try the tip line thing. and its kinda funny... i was just about to get renter's insurance. in terms of breaking the lease... my landlord is aware of what's been going on. i have been in contact with them, and also see what i have to do if i want to leave. i won't let me "friend" stick me with payments. also... as for my landlord... i moved in at the beginning of May. and In PA, its illegal to rent out a place with a broken stove. needless to say, they didn't get me a working stove until last week. so if they have a problem, i have a case on them. and worst comes to worst, i kick my friend out, i have several people to fill his spot.

in terms of utilites, the electric and gas is in his name. his dad set it up for him. fine by me. only the cable and internet is in my name. and since i don't have a comp, i have no use for internet. and since i don't watch much tv, i'm gonna shut both off completely.

and yesterday, when this all happened, my landlord sent out a maintenance man who replaced the locks to both the front and back door. the only ways in and out. he gave me both sets of keys. so if my roommate wanted to get in there right now, he's fucked. so i have all control with this apartment. and i am gonna fuck this kid over. i don't care if he had nothing to do with it, i'm gonna put it on him. our apartment is our responsibility. and we're responsible for what our friends do while over it. Ask Will, when i had a bunch of friends over, i shut my roommates door, and made sure no one even really went in there. and i didn't go and pass out leaving my friends to wander around the apartment. besides, everyone i brought over, i know would never do anything like this.

but thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

if i do want to get physical about it... i'm in a frat with about like 12-15 other guys. and they're already willing to beat his ass haha.

SirDidymus127 said:
\Ask Will, when i had a bunch of friends over, i shut my roommates door, and made sure no one even really went in there. and i didn't go and pass out leaving my friends to wander around the apartment. besides, everyone i brought over, i know would never do anything like this.

tr00th

try the local media too. stories like that are on the news ALL the time in cleveland. and if the police dont do anything about it, the news team will.

i feel really bad about the photos you lost thought. those would be the most valuable.

SirDidymus127 said:
if i do want to get physical about it... i'm in a frat with about like 12-15 other guys. and they're already willing to beat his ass haha.

You got alot more than just frat guys willing to kick their asses.