Favourite?

• A

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • B

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B is definitely the best. It has this hard, aggressiveness to it that A and C lack (C especially). It makes the other 2 seem flat and lifeless in comparison, almost like B has a slower attack time than the other 2 clips. That said, it seems like B is slightly louder as well, so that may play a part in my preference for it.

I probably fucked up some adjusting but I went back to the project, bounced again the C clip to see if I left anything muted or something but no, it is what it is. I was quite surprised at the big difference between all of them. I could have spent hours measuring rel /att times with sine waves but they respond and feel quite the same. The controls didn't need much tweaking, just as close as I could by ear.

B>A>C

Won't guess, because I recall a similar test on here where the Waves plugin was voted the best by miles. Logic is telling me C should be the Waves, and B the blueface (though I'd like to hope it's the Lindell, I'm desperately holding myself back from buying one).

Depending on the source, next test is bass. The difference is not that big.

...I originally bought a 2-space 500 unit (A-Designs) to limit by module purchases but now I just need to buy another lunchbox.

This, I bought a 3-slot radial the cube.

Would love to hear this in the mix. Soloed... I'd say both A and B were great. C was a bit dry sounding... I bet it's the most expensive one. :D But still the reason you use compressors is the flavor and make them fit the mix so I wouldn't say anything about which one of these is best before I hear them in a mix. :)

Not saying it's the plug but would a guitar sim sound better in a mix than the real amp modeled after with the same settings? Dunno, maybe.

Could be that it ends up sounding like they all sound the same. Could also be that the transient/sharpness etc. could be emphasized better when there's more material competing for the space. :)

Would love to have time to run a proper test, maybe some day.

Yeah, very true. The thing I'd be most interested in is hearing a comparison on vocal tracks, and and then an 1176 v Lindell comparison when tracking vocals through them. That's the place I'm going to use an outboard 1176 the most on besides bass.

Any killer short clip to work with? I can do it with my Maiden Clairvoyant vocals this weekend anyway but it would be better to have a real pro room/setup nicely tracked.

Yeah.. at least the Waves 1176 is my overcompression go-to for vocals. -12dB GR? Not enough!!!! :D

More like the needle pining here :tickled:

haha, +1!

I have all of my favorite pieces out of the bunch of outboard we have just setup as external FX and then use it like a plugin; of course you can only use it ONE track but if you have enough ins/outs it's no problem.

Works GREAT for me with no delay or phase problem what-so-ever!

BTW; I like A the best. On B, I hear weird phase/stereo shifting anamolies that are very unpleasant to my ears. The harmonic distortion on the initial transients is great and in that regard, that's where A is lacking but A just sounds clearer and punchier to me. Just send that to a Buss with a 4k type comp on it to tame it a little bit and add some SMACK and you're good! =D

I'd like to run a bus compressor that way. About the phasing, good ears man, I'm hearing something now you mention it but not fully sure. Going back to the project to check. EDIT, nothing weird, everything looks fine. Maybe it's because I sent a bit of stereo oh to the mono parallel smashing but then again, it should sound the same on the other tracks too.

BTW: In my opinion this is much more about the feel of the drums, any regular listener wouldn't catch on the difference, so this is kind of a small detail, which would be determinant in a full mix, but not that much as it is.

That's what I think.

For me the fun thing is, right now I'm at work, I bough a 50$ pair of consumer akg headphones a few weeks ago, and I seriously can't heart that much difference, close to none when it comes to transients, i mean i kinda hear it's there but.. not really

It's like all the money you invest in your gear hits the wall that presents itself in the form of the listeners cheap ear buds

just a digression though, carry on

Probably but try to listen on a system you're used to, even if it's shitty. My car sound system is the stock one but I can hear everything in there.

Much smaller difference this time. I can hardly make out any difference whatsoever between A and B. It seems like B is ever so slightly tighter and more present than A, but I would absolutely never notice any difference if they weren't side by side like this. C clearly has the most sub bass of the 3, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the mix. The transients also seem more smoothed over than first two, much like the drum comparison. This, again, may or may not be a good thing.

Great shootout! Keep em coming.

B>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>C>A for me. C and A aren't as punchy but C seemed more musical to me. Just my first impressions, I might like A better with more time.

Last batch, vox:

Just compressors:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2752959/76%20test%20VX%20maiden.mp3

After some analog processing, 76 at the end of the chain:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2752959/76%20test%20VX%20FX%20maiden.mp3

Sorry for the pronunciation ;)

Much smaller difference this time. I can hardly make out any difference whatsoever between A and B. It seems like B is ever so slightly tighter and more present than A, but I would absolutely never notice any difference if they weren't side by side like this. C clearly has the most sub bass of the 3, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the mix. The transients also seem more smoothed over than first two, much like the drum comparison. This, again, may or may not be a good thing.

Great shootout! Keep em coming.

Thanks, I agree about the differences.

EDIT: I'm a useless piece of ...tester. Of course C sounds different, it's not even the same bass loop. I picked up another one. FML. But you get the idea.
Maybe these old tests I did will help some of you guys pick the differences:

Bass 1176 Rev D Clone
Bass CLA76 'Blacky'

Vox 1176 Rev A Clone
Vox CLA76 'Bluey'

I remember that one. The difference was there to me, Will help this test for sure.

Listening to the drum clip B and A are significantly better than C to my ears. I do think there's a bit of a level difference though which is making it hard for me to pick between A and B. Gun to my head I think I prefer B.

B sounds extremely punchy to me on the drum tracks. On the bass tracks I heard maybe a 5% difference between the 3. I tried to listen to the vocal tracks, but jesus those nasty reflections are just way too distracting :loco:

B sounds extremely punchy to me on the drum tracks. On the bass tracks I heard maybe a 5% difference between the 3. I tried to listen to the vocal tracks, but jesus those nasty reflections are just way too distracting :loco:

Yeap, sorry for tht. I asked for a nicely tracked clip although this was traxcked through a sm7b, but the room is still there.

Results are:
A. Lindell
B. Blueface
C. CLA76 Bluey

Matching compressors is a PITA!

Yeap, sorry for tht. I asked for a nicely tracked clip although this was traxcked through a sm7b, but the room is still there.

Results are:
A. Lindell
B. Blueface
C. CLA76 Bluey

Matching compressors is a PITA!

Ha! I figured that B would be the Blueface. I need some outboard gear, jaysus.

I'm actually really surprised how poor the CLA comp sounded to be honest. Especially when it's generally considered to be one of the better software compressors out at the moment. This has definitely reminded me that I need to use my outboard DBX compressors more often, and I should really invest in some more.