Waves CLA 76 vs FMR PBC 6a on vocals

El_Gato

I love this gain
Oct 20, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Due to the lack of clips on the interwebs from the PBC, I decided to upload some clips for us to have some reference if somebody is interested on this hardware compressor.

Not a very scientific A/B test, I just used JeffTD DI's (guess which ones) and downloaded the first mix I found to track some vox (sorry I don't remember whose mix is, so chime in if you recognise your work and thanks). I recorded only some seconds of the chorus myself with cleans and screams to have some variety of sounds to work with. I suck, there are some loud breaths, plosives and noises while holding the mic but you can get an idea. I simply didn't put much work while tracking but it's not too bad. The vox volume is a bit louder to hear the details better.

I tried to push both as hard as possible without getting too many artifacts (there are some, anyway). Volumes adjusted by ear as peaks/rms were impossible to match so there's a difference between them. Don't come saying the test is flawed, blah blah. I could make more clips with only the dry vox and different settings on both CLA and PBC if there would be some interest.

Gear used:
Sm7b (no hpf/no boost)-> RME Babyface
CLA 76 Bluey: Analog 60hz in, Ratio 20. Top release. Attack 5
PBC 6a: Thick mode on, top ratio, top release, att 4,5
Just HPF at 100hz and some delay and reverb in parallel.
Nothing on the 2nd buss.

This test would be non-sense in a real mix cause I'd adjust them softer and work in stages but, again, you can get an idea of the sound of the unit when driven hard. Blind test for you not to get biased so feel free to say which one you like better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2752959/Rose%20of%20Sharyn%20Vox%20Tony%20Recio%20MIX%201.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2752959/Rose%20of%20Sharyn%20Vox%20Tony%20Recio%20MIX%202.mp3

MIX 2 has a MUCH more pleasing quality to the vocal. NO IDEA which is which but #2 reminds me of what I really dig about the CLA76...

MIX 1 sounds like that is not nearly as much compression action happening or else the release is just a BIT too fast... makes MIX 2 sounds very gluey and nice...

To anyone else guessing, skip to about half-way through and listen to the chorus, I found that was the only part of this clip that really showed QUICKLY, the differences...

All of you were right to a point: number 2 (CLA76) sounds better. I was really surprised to see how the plugin was able to be pushed more and keep the quality of the vox than the PBC which turns a bit muddy/honky/nasal on cleans when driven hard. Nice for screams only, anyway.

The plugin is capable of reducing the peaks/RMS relation by 2-3 dBs more than the PBC, compressing more. Also more transparent overall while the PBC changes a lot depending on the compression level.

In stages is much more pleasing to the ear when singing cleans, it's not an agressive hardware unit but it gives a nice flavour to the vocals when using normal settings. Sort of tape saturation texture with an old school vibe. Made the vocals of a ballad sit in the mix instantly and sound more like a record than the CLA76.

I made the clips with different settings so you can hear how the tone changes quite a lot but I have to upload them. Would love to have the chance to compare it against a distressor as I've seen some people comparing the versatility of both units. Of course they're still different creatures. I'll contact some distressor owners to see if they want to run 15 seconds through it. Get in touch if one of you is willing to do it.

Now testing it on bass, they say it was born for this. Let's see.

First off, I know this thread is almost 10 years old, But here goes...

Secondly, this is an excellent song and vocal performance. Congrats on that.

Regarding the shoutout, it ended up being a no-brainer (but very fun to hear).

The PBC is just such a rare animal to use in a song/passage like this. The PBC attack seems much slower, and can't compete with the CLA-76. Therefore, the vocal line seems to drag with the FMR unit here. Not to mention, the "bite" afforded by the CLA-76 is a perfect match for the vocal line here. Ultimately, we also lost some fullness on the vocal by using the PBC, whereas the CLA-76 retained more of the low mids (granted that the EQ was the same).

Personally, I Love both compressors (own them both). As far as this track goes, using the PBC is like taking a musket to a machine gun fight.

Furthermore, there was no doubt as to which was compressor was which upon first listening to the examples. Smooth versus Bitey. The Waves CLA-76 continues to be a worthy tool.

Well, I hope that you're still rocking this hard 10 years later, my Man.

Thanks for the great shootout and for the awesome music!