Iced In Flames said:
Jon says in the Glorious Burden booklet that he wrote that song about patriotism and what not. Well how come he originally called it Purgatory then?

I don't know and can only guess that he wrote the music for a piece called Purgatory and later wrote patriotic lyrics that fit the music and resulted in 1776.
Where does the information about the original song title Purgatory come from?

Mr Blackwell said:
I don't know and can only guess that he wrote the music for a piece called Purgatory and later wrote patriotic lyrics that fit the music and resulted in 1776.

:err:

1776 doesn't have any lyrics.

Exactly no lyrics. And I've got bootleg versions of them playing it before Something Wicked came out. Matt introduces it as an instrumnental called Purgatory. I think it was on the Dark Saga tour. Purgatory sounds like a good title for a Spawn song. hmmmmm

No it's there skyrefuge...not in the trilogy's liner notes but the little text before that where Jon explains his love for history and so on.

TheFourthHorseman said:
No it's there skyrefuge...not in the trilogy's liner notes but the little text before that where Jon explains his love for history and so on.

Yeah, I see the whole paragraph about 1776, but don't see "patriotism" mentioned anywhere in the entire booklet, much less that he "wrote the song about patriotism".

In the notes Jon is talking about how he loves history and how Horror Show was cool but he couldnbt really feel passionate about it. The he says in the third paragraph...

"I have never really explored this kind of passion in my musical endeavors before. In '98 on Something Wicked I put the instrumental 1776 on the CD which was the first time that I even attempted this kind of emotion in music. I felt that the victorious vibe of that particular piece of music warranted a name like 1776 but being an instrumental it did not allow for me to explore that realm of passion lyrically."

There. He says 1776 is about Patriotism. And like I said. I have a bootleg live version of it, introduced as Purgatory, around when Dark Sage came out

Iced In Flames said:
"I have never really explored this kind of passion in my musical endeavors before. In '98 on Something Wicked I put the instrumental 1776 on the CD which was the first time that I even attempted this kind of emotion in music. I felt that the victorious vibe of that particular piece of music warranted a name like 1776 but being an instrumental it did not allow for me to explore that realm of passion lyrically."

There. He says 1776 is about Patriotism.

Man, I guess I'm just dumb, or blind, or something. I read that paragraph about six times, and I still can't find the word "patriotism" anywhere in there. I even tried the search function in my web browser, and still no luck! Maybe you could highlight in bold for me?