Iced In Flames said:
There. He says 1776 is about Patriotism.
No he doesn't.
He says "I have never really explored this kind of passion in my musical endeavors before. In '98 on Something Wicked I put the instrumental 1776 on the CD which was the first time that I even attempted this kind of emotion in music. I felt that the victorious vibe of that particular piece of music warranted a name like 1776 but being an instrumental it did not allow for me to explore that realm of passion lyrically."

Iced In Flames said:
The music..... is about patriotism......

No, it's actually about a trip Jon took to the grocery store one day when the total bill came to $17.76. It says so right in the booklet. It's written in invisible ink, right next to the invisible part where he said that he wrote it about patriotism.

If you don't believe me, I'll just repeat myself a few more times, and eventually it will become true; apparently that's how these things work.

skyrefuge said:
No, it's actually about a trip Jon took to the grocery store one day when the total bill came to $17.76. It says so right in the booklet. It's written in invisible ink, right next to the invisible part where he said that he wrote it about patriotism.
:lol:

Have to say skyrefuge won this one with the grocery store post. :) Come on IIF,he doesn't say that it's about patriotism in the booklet though,does he? And why exactly are you thinking it's Neil? :err:

skyrefuge said:

If you don't believe me, I'll just repeat myself a few more times, and eventually it will become true; apparently that's how these things work.
HAHAHA!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I've already said that the song doesn't really deserve such debate, anyway.

It's slipshod and unremarkable as instrumentals go.

Because it is Neil :)

In that paragraph I quoted. Jon explains he never tried that kind of emotion before in a song and it came out sounds very triumphant and voctorious so he called it 1776. 1776 is indeed a big time in American history yeah? sO I'm kinda thinking 1776, victorious, triumphant, never tried that kinda feel before, does ANYONE see where I'm goin with this?

Besides, my question was, why was it called Purgatory :)

The Purgatory song was reworked a lot, Jon probably decided it worked better as a patriotic type instrumental.

Rottuated said:
Yes, I know where you've been going since the thread started. :)

How do you know it's Neil?
All I wanted to know is why its called 1776 (even tho in the pics section its says the George Washington statue was the inspiration for the song) used to be called Purgatory. Thats all.

Cuz it is. His first posts on this board gave that away. Not in this thread but others.