1991 - 1996

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
I was talking with the singer in my band and we both agreed that our favorite sounding albums were recorded somewhere in between 1991-1996 give or take a year. Does anyone know what kind of equipment was state of the art at the time? I'd imagine ADATs. The studio we record at uses a Mackie HDR24 with Tango A/D converters. The guy who owns it is awesome, and our stuff sounds killer. but we want to get the bite that some of the older stuff had.

The enigineer and I believe some of the sounds of the old analog stuff has alot to do with the Mic pre's built into the consoles.

Some of my favorite sounding albums:
Heartwork - Carcass
Turn Loose the Swans, Like Gods of the Sun - My Dying Bride
Chaos AD - Sepultura
Stormbirds - Evereve
Nightfall - Candlemass
Adagio - Solitude Aeturnus

I'm walking a fine line between polished and raw

I heard somewhere that Carcass Heartwork guitar sound had to something with a Marshall practice amp, that is everything I know about the subject. ahahah

My understanding is that heartwork was mainly 5150 mk1, but with a touch of marshall 15wt practice amp thrown in for bite or top end.
If anyone knows which cab and mics were used, i'd be very interested.

I was wondering how stuff was recorded, IE: were the amps mic'd with 1 mic, 2 mics, sm57, 421, through a compressor, direct to tape. Straight to ADAT. Not what amps they used, having a good amp is one thing but getting it's sound recorded is a whole 'nother matter. So what seperates then from now?