1st time poster looking for mixing feedback

causeunknown

New Metal Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hello!

I'm a long time guitar player and have been working on learning recording/mixing/mastering the last couple years. Here is my latest work in progress and I would love to get any constructive feedback about it.

Djenty-ambient track

Hi man! Nice music, but your mix sounds like it a quick demo, but not a professional mix.

First of all, your drums are boring. I don't like both their sound and their beats. Overheads are lifeless, kick sounds like it a default Sup. 2.0 kick sample, snare is too far. For now your drums are your the weakest place.

I don't like your rhytm guitars tone, it sounds like a POD Farm for me(but that's just my personal taste).
Your clean guitars are too loud.

Your bass guitar sits in the mix pretty good, but you can make it a bit lower.

your mix sounds like it a quick demo, but not a professional mix.

well i'm here to change that! hahaha

First of all, your drums are boring. I don't like both their sound and their beats. Overheads are lifeless, kick sounds like it a default Sup. 2.0 kick sample, snare is too far. For now your drums are your the weakest place.

i definitely don't disagree with you there. i'm still new to superior drummer and still just using the superior beats while I'm learning. I'm spending a lot more time working on the guitar and bass tones.

I don't like your rhythm guitars tone, it sounds like a POD Farm for me(but that's just my personal taste).

Could you elaborate on what you think I could do differently? I have 4 guitar tracks. my chain currently is compressor -> 808 -> legion -> rosen digital recto cab. 2 of them are hard left and right and go to a bus with an EQ for highpass & lowpass. The other 2 are lower in volume and also go to an EQ bus but highpassed and lowpassed at different frequencies.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, remember that drums is the most important part of your mix. With good drums bad guitars would sound like that's just a guitarist's personal taste while with awesome guitars bad drums would sound like it a bad mix. Pay much more attention to this part.

As for your guitars... Why did you use a compressor before 808? Also I would recommend you to work with a doubletrack instead of a quadtrack. Learn how to get good sound from a doubletrack at first.