1x12 Krank Cab's Ohms ?

Apr 20, 2006
Alright guys, I got 2 1X12 krank cabs for x-mas. They look good and feel solid... but I have a question.

If I use my 4x12 mesa boogie (8 ohm) + the mini cab (16 ohm). What should I put the ohm selector on for this if I run an output from the head to each cabinet?

Alright guys, I got 2 1X12 krank cabs for x-mas. They look good and feel solid... but I have a question.

If I use my 4x12 mesa boogie (8 ohm) + the mini cab (16 ohm). What should I put the ohm selector on for this if I run an output from the head to each cabinet?

you cant realy do that... the 2 cabs impedance together have to equall 4 8 or 16 for most guitar amps and that cab combination would fall somewhere in between. you could however use the 2 1x12's at the same time though. sorry man

Dude, is it really necessary for you amp to be that loud?

If you're using it to combine different cabs together though, why not just reamp the two cabs at seperate times?

Set the Head for 4ohms

1/((1/8)+(1/16)) = ~5

the 8ohm 4x12 will carry the lion's share of the load

Dude, is it really necessary for you amp to be that loud?

If you're using it to combine different cabs together though, why not just reamp the two cabs at seperate times?

I'm not going for loudness. I bought them mainly for all the venues that we play. Most sound guys we run into don't run our guitars through the monitors the way we like it so I'm basically gonna put a 1x12 on each side of the stage; the one on my side will have my other guitarists signal and the one on his side will have my signal going into it.

plus we can use them to practice instead of 4x12... and I'm sure they could produce a nice recording tone.

Not to question Keiffer's credibility, but will this be safe? Don't want to cause any damage! :erk:

a load is a load and the amp's seeing basically a 5ohm load and as long as the load has sufficient power handling with the amp set to 4ohms this will be fine. a rule of thumb is one load value up (e.g. Amp: 4 & Cab: 8) is generally Okay, although I would never run my amps that way if I'm pushing them hard for an extended period.

FWIW, 30+ years as my own amp tech and I have modified/rebuilt many amps and also BSEE, 1980

a load is a load and the amp's seeing basically a 5ohm load and as long as the load has sufficient power handling with the amp set to 4ohms this will be fine. a rule of thumb is one load value up (e.g. Amp: 4 & Cab: 8) is generally Okay, although I would never run my amps that way if I'm pushing them hard for an extended period.

FWIW, 30+ years as my own amp tech and I have modified/rebuilt many amps and also BSEE, 1980

Awesome, thanks for your help buddy!
:kickass: