2/3 at Galaxy in Santa Ana

At Dusk

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Completely as expected Opeth was fucking amazing last night... I believe it was the last show of this American tour. The whole time they seemed to be having the greatest times of their lives on stage and were extremely pleased with how the crowd reacted... the setlist was I believe what they've done pretty much the whole tour, including credence :)grin:!!!) and serenity painted death, with demon of the fall as the encore. I don't quite remember the order of the songs they played but like I said it's been posted for the past shows on the boards here several times I think...

got to meet Mikael after the show, he's great.

was anyone here on the boards at the show and took pictures? I think every other person in the crowd had a digital camera, so surely somebody has some... if you do, let me know, I'd love to see some.

overall last night just proved what I already knew.... Opeth is the most amazing fucking band in the world.

That was an awesome fukn' show, but sorry to say, I didnt bring a camera. I forgot that they dont give a shit if u bring them, O WELL! Regarding Serenity Painted Death, that was only the second time they've ever played it live, the first was the night before in Pheonix.

Opeth played a flawless set. The sound technicians were excellent in mixing all instruments properly. Lopez's drums were clearly audible, Mendez (looking a lot like the dead girl from the film "the ring" the entire concert with his hair in his face, cool though) provided the perfect low end, Lindgren and Mikael's riffs were perfectly timed and executed, the effects used at the proper moments. Mikael's voice: beautiful. Both the death and clean vox sounded clear, his breath control seeming better than ever.

Mikael has a way of speaking that completely captures one's attention, not only from his choice of words, but his reverberating baritone as well.

Tapping the Vein wasn't bad. The female singer had a great voice. BUT, every song seemed to follow a similar pattern, and the guitar/bassist were nearly inaudible.

Paradise Lost....eugh.

And the first band that played: how the fuck did some disgusting nu-metal act get to perform on the 4 absent friends tour?? My guess is that they're a local act given the spot at the last minute.

STILL, it was somewhat of a pain to have to sit through three hours of mediocre to terrible music before Opeth came on. Hey though, the wait was worth it.

I have a few pictures from a digital camera that I'll post here soon. I also brought a tape recorder and caught a few prime moments of the show that I'll attempt to digitize.

Can someone please post the setlist for this show? I was there, but I'm relatively new to Opeth and still don't know everything by name. Recognized most of it, but don't know names, nor do I remember the order in which they were played...

Thanks!

I'll attempt to put down all of the songs I remember off the top of my head... I'll try to get them roughly in order too...

The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Serenity Painted Death
Credence
A Fair Judgement

encore:
Demon of the Fall

I'm pretty sure I may be forgetting one or two songs...? I can't for some reason remember if they played Bleak... someone help me out here

nothing from Orchid :(

I didn't mention in my post earlier how much I like the galaxy... probably my favorite venue in the LA area. plenty of room so you don't get knocked around too much if you don't want to be, and if you just want to stand and watch the band (which I much prefer to do with opeth than other bands) you can... I stood at a table on the first row of seating and the view was perfect and surprisingly close to the stage. if only I'd brought my camera :mad:

Yeah, they did play Bleak. Right out of the ending of Credence they went right into Bleak. Since they don't stop, Mikael didn't actually call out the name.

And I have to agree with everyone else.. The Galaxy is a great venue. The sound was awesome. The band was great. Great show overall. Except for the jackass security who tried to stop people from moshing during Demon of the Fall.

(Then again I still can't figure out why the hell people were moshing to A Fair Judgement!)

headbanging: fuck yeah
moshing: fucking stupid

IMO

I was too enthralled with the band to notice the moshing on A Fair Judgement, what a great performance.

Moshing to that song? heh. Sure there are a few semi-heavy moments (esp. the outro), but only about 30 percect of it. I guess meatheads will find any reason to bash each other.

BTW if any non-meathead was moshing, no offense. I just don't think that activity is a necessary one.

@Aeternal. I agree with you. Fuck those morons jumping like monkeys. On top of suffering thru 3 bands before Opeth, these dudes and a little blonde kid in front of me taking pictures, have no better idea that ruin other people's time.
The Galaxy, it's great. I live in Redondo and missed the show in L.A., because of the same reason=parking and venue.
The show was very good, but seems to me that Opeth is only Mikael and Peter. The Martin's are just painted and don't participate at all. I tried unsuccesfully to talk to them, but next time.

The First band was not as bad as Pardise lost, man they realy sucked. did you guys see how there guitar player on the right was playing? He was struming the guitar like he was doing karate on it LOL.

Any way when opeth came on i was right in the front. And man i can tell you that i like opeth alot more now after i saw them live.

to me, the most painful part of watching that first band (bleed the sky, I think they were called) was that they were the 'replacement' for lacuna coil... had lacuna coil been allowed to tour, that band wouldn't have been there...

...ugh. :puke:

Originally posted by CERVEZA
One more thing. I saw a guy who's probably 15 years older than me (I'm 39). That made me happy.
Hey, I'm 15 years older than you and I was there--front and center!! So now you can be double happy. ;)

actually, i beleive tapping the vein replaced lacuna coil...not bleed the sky...who were just a local band filling the first slot, as did all the other venues.

as for opeth...amazing show...i had a blast...however, i was a bit dissapointed in the setlist, as it was very very similar to the last time i saw opeth live...a bit of variety would have been nice. i got to meet the band after the show again...and talked to mikael for a while about our shared love for 70s progressive rock...good times indeed, cant wait to see them again.

Tapping the Vein was on the bill from the start.. Noone re-placed Lacuna Coil on the tour.. Bleed the Sky, or whoever the hell that band was, was also going the be playing the show regardless. They were listed on the bill on the Galaxy's website when it was announced they were playing there.. I didnt get there til the last song of Bleed's set, and it looks like I didnt miss much thank goodness. ;-)

I went to both the L.A. show and the Galaxy show and I must say the differences were amazing. The sound was better at the Galaxy. The parking was definitely better at the Galaxy (I managed to get my car towed in L.A., so in the end the L.A. show cost me over $200 (still worth it)). The band was not quite as energetic at the L.A. show as they were at the Galaxy, but the vibe was just totally different. The vibe of the band was complimentary to the vibe of the audience at the Troubadour, and that vibe was just flat out MELLOW. In fact it was more mellow than the vibe at some jam band show's I've seen. I prefer mellow when seeing Opeth.

At the Galaxy the crowd wasn't so mellow. At least not down on the floor. Yeah, moshing to A Fair Judgement. There you go. Let's mosh to 60 BPM Doom. Apparently there were quite a few people there not necessarily to see Opeth, but to mosh because you know, moshing shows just how metal you are, which in turn shows just how manly you are, which in turn proves to yourself and ALL the people at the show that one, you're not gay, and two that they better leave you alone cause you're tough. I mean, if you're at a Death/Grind show that's more understandable. The music can just bring on a sort of possession, if you will. But when people are moshing to A Fair Judgement, it's obviously not about the music. I can't believe that I felt compelled to tell people at that show to pay attention to the band on the fucking stage. "Hey look! Opeth's up there!". I saw so many heads turned the opposite direction. I think this is the first show I've been to where I felt the urge to beat a couple of people to death. :D

Opeth takes me to other worlds, and throughout that set I was constantly dragged back into the world of juvenile-jock-mosh land. Go mosh to Morbid Angel, or Cannibal Corpse (I must admit that I've seen Deeds of Flesh, and nobody moshed (when the music is technical I find people want to actually watch the band play)). At the L.A. show a few of us (including myself) stirred things up in the pit during Demon of the Fall, but that was per Mikael's request. It's a little more fitting to mosh to that song. One thing about being a good mosh-er is to know WHEN to mosh, not to see how much damage you can inflict. Like during the "white faced, haggard grin/ this serenity painted death..." chorus of serenity painted death, decent time to mosh, if you absolutely must mosh. That's fitting, I guess, though I'd rather time travel than constantly try and regain my footing.

Oh, and let me say something about crowd surfing... Do you morons want to know why it just didn't seem to work at that show? Because nobody was interested in helping you fucking crowd surf. OPETH WAS ON THE STAGE!!!!! Go see No Doubt you pitiful losers (I think that's a fair judgement, pun intended).

Oh, and at the L.A. show during the quiet part of A Fair Judgement, right before the Morbid Angel-esque outro, you could hear everyone singing along with Mike. And in key. It was truly an uplifting experience. During the same part at the Galaxy, not only was half the singing audience tone deaf, but hardly anyone was singing along and there were even some dipshits who were shouting at Mike, and louder than he was singing. Why would you try and distract him in the middle of a fucking song. This isn't Punk Rock mother fucker.

As far as the set list goes, it was nearly the same at both venues. The only difference was instead of Serenity Painted Death, they played Godhead's Lament at the Troubadour. My overall impression is the band was better at the Galaxy, but the crowd was better at the Troubadour. I've now decided once and for all that Orange County on average is very immature, and they on average lack heart and security. Not like this is new news to anyone from Southern California. Unless you're one of the immature ones of whom I speak... For the eyeball cannot see itself. But anyway, Opeth for life!:D :D :D

The people in southern ca are idiots this is a main reason for the galaxy show. The amound of punks and hard core kids at the show was a very sad sight.