2 Generations of the same amp : A/B Comparison

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I've been talking about doing this for quite a while, but I was just never able to, until today.

This is an A/B Comparison of an older generation of ENGL Savage 120 (with the orange switch) vs a newer generation (with the red switch).

Both amps were set to the same EQ (I have first set the EQ I liked on the newer Savage and then copied it on the older one). The Lead Volume is at 10 to 11 oclock and the Master is very low, roughly 8 oclock.

Both amps have JJ ECC83s in the preamp and 2 JJ KT88 in the power amp. However! The old Savage has a Mesa 12AX7 in the Phase Inverter.

The cab used was an ENGL XXL with both SM57 and e906. The SM57 is on the dust cab edge and the e906 is slightly more off center.

Recorded 2 tracks (2 takes). The same 2 tracks were reamped on both amps. They are from a song I'm still working on, and they were recording very quickly. There are imperfections, therefore, sorry.
--------------------
New ENGL Savage Files:
e906 only:
dl.dropbox.com/s/s4933vlw1bxlc0f/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20New%20Savage%20e906.ogg?dl=0

SM57 only:
dl.dropbox.com/s/sugfgb2k1dpwwcf/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20New%20Savage%20SM57.ogg?dl=0

Blend of both mics
dl.dropbox.com/s/98ukmgd5w9w6wnz/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20New%20Savage.ogg?dl=0
-----------------------
----------------------
Old ENGL Savage (and no, I haven't touched the mic position!)
e906 only:
dl.dropbox.com/s/jczw74chfm34y3a/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20Old%20Savage%20e906.ogg?dl=0

SM57 only:
dl.dropbox.com/s/3kwybpoclo9d8rq/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20Old%20Savage%20SM57.ogg?dl=0

Blend of both mics
dl.dropbox.com/s/3i4fenlvln0patj/ENGL%20Savage%20Reamp%20Test%20Old%20Savage.ogg?dl=0
-----------------------

Why they sound different like that, especially the Old gen with a tone more bottom, is a mystery to me... Perhaps the bias is very high on this one, bringing in the bottom from the KT88?

Hope you liked the comparison! (and I know someone was curious to get a mix with the SM57 and the e906).

Wow... that was really cool. I liked the new Savage 120 with the SM57 only. It sounded the brightest, clearest, and most articulate of the clips. I'm thinking the older/smaller output transformer (less filtering in the power section) gives the darker/more bass sound in the older Savage 120. I'm sure mic type and position can play a big part to. I'm used to the sound of the SM57 more so than any other mic. Thanks for posting those clips!

In retrospect I'd probably move the e906 closer to the cap edge and perhaps lower it's volume versus the SM57, just to add an interesting layer, but keep the SM57 as the main mic.

That said, it wasn't that relevant because the purpose was to showcase the difference between both amps.

Glad you liked it! :)

Forgot to mention that every track was recorded using a boost, a TS9, gain at 0 and level at roughly noon. Tone knob slightly lower than noon.

Last edited:
Interesting , that's quiet a bit of a difference. Can a bias adjustment be so influencial in the bass response?

According to Wizard of Ozz, which is I think a long time ENGL user, the older generation had a different transformer which was perhaps responsible for less bass filtering.