2 halfstacks, a/b box, noise supressor, overdrive

Nov 2, 2007
Canada EH
ok my friend has a 5150 half stack (orange cab with vintage 30's) and a triple rectifier half stack (orange cab with eminence red white and blues) and to run both hes gonna need an a/b box (whirlwind for example) now if he wanted a boss ns-2 in the loop would it send from the mesa, pedal, return to 5150? if so ok, if not tell me how to please. but is there a way he could use his overdrive boost in front of the amp (example if it was a single halfstack it would go amp-overdrive-guitar) how would he do that with 2 halfstacks at the same time without having to buy a 2nd od pedal? i used to be knowledgeable of this stuff but not anymore :Smokin:

You won't be making the most use of your NS-2 that way, though. Ideally you want to run the guitar into the pedal, your overdrive and amp distortion in the pedal's loop (pedal send -> amp input, then effects send -> pedal return), and then from the pedal back to your effects return. If you just stick the pedal in the chain un-looped, your amps will still be distorting the signal after it's been noise-suppressed, which'll add noise back in.

I don't know how you'd set this up correctly with two rigs at once, unless you had one NS-2 per amp...

You won't be making the most use of your NS-2 that way, though. Ideally you want to run the guitar into the pedal, your overdrive and amp distortion in the pedal's loop (pedal send -> amp input, then effects send -> pedal return), and then from the pedal back to your effects return. If you just stick the pedal in the chain un-looped, your amps will still be distorting the signal after it's been noise-suppressed, which'll add noise back in.

I don't know how you'd set this up correctly with two rigs at once, unless you had one NS-2 per amp...

ya ic, i went on google and seen that Joel from Killswitch Engage uses the NS2 in front of the amp then the maxon in the NS2's loop which is cool but i heard u get way more effective tone with the NS in the loop

The problem with just putting the NS-2 in the effects loop is that by the time the signal gets there it has so much noise that the pedal has a hard time telling what it's supposed to be gating out.

On the other hand, if you stick the pedal right up front, it can tell when to gate but the problem is that that even a dead quiet gated signal will get super noisy once you run it through a TS + high gain head.

But if you set it up the way I described it (with all your effects and preamp inside the pedal's loop), the pedal uses the initial clean signal to figure out what to gate, but doesn't actually do the gating until the very end of the chain, so it catches all the distortion and noise you've piled on.

I have the same setup for playing live. One guitar, one Lehle (don't know if you guys know this German company, they built my ABY switch), two heads and cabs.
I only use one noisegate (Rocktron Hush) before the Lehle and Tubescreamer.
No more noisegates in the amp's effect channels.
It would be nice to have a different NG setting for each amp, but so far I found that it worked really good live.
The only thing that annoys me is the ambient noise of one head (Engl). Would you suggest to get one or two more Noisegates for the effect channels? Or would that be too much since there already is a gate in the signal chain? I could imagine that it would be difficult to set up each show, since I play venues that differ in size/sound and usually the sound- is more of a line-check.
Thanks for any advise!

Wouldn't it sound better having just one head and two cabs? More tube distortion??

It's a tradeoff, because while you won't push either head as hard as you would if you just used one, the differences in gain, EQ, distortion texture, rectifier response, etc. will make two amps sound way thicker than just one played through two cabs.

Kind of the same way you double guitar parts in the studio instead of just turning them up, but more subtle.