Amp Advice

thats always a possibiliy, anyone know where i can find some clips of a GOOD sounding 5150 (prefferably metal) :headbang: . And if anyone has got settings that should produce a quality tone thatd be great too...all I know is that Im about ready to burn the damn thing :yell:

Katalepsy said:
50 watts isn't nearly enough power in a 6 piece band, trust me, I would know

That's the power of the amp I was using at those practices, and it was fine. I had the keyboard on about 1/3 volume, running through the -15dB channel on the amp, which was running at about 3/4 volume. The only reason that it wasn't as audible as it should have been was that it was a bass amp, which is not designed to handle the higher frequencies of a keyboard amp.

All other things (like size and number of speakers) being equal, the difference between a 50watt amp at maximum volume and a 100watt amp at maximum volume is 3dB.

So are 3dB worth the extra money? You tell me.

On the other hand, doubling the number of speakers at the same level of power will double the apparent volume.

More watts = impractical
more speakers = smart

Only pay for what you need.

First off 5150 is an INCREDIBLE amp BUT...

For GOD'S SAKE DON'T SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY ON ONE!!

Get a 5150 head on ebay for like $500. I've gotten a couple on ebay for closer to $400 just to resell for profit. The original 5150s are better than the 5150 II's, and furthermore the block letters sound better, but have to be biased on changing tubes, so your call if you want to deal with that.

For cabs, nothing beats a Legacy Cab. Steve Vai's signature (actually uses on stage rather than endorsing) with vintage 30's and super cheap. Musician's Friend will sell and ship it to you for around $500 for a 4x12 and closer to $300 for the 2x12. I got one on ebay for like $400 free shipping. Those are the best cabs for the value IMO. However, Mesa Boogie and VHT both make outstanding cabinets.

Oh, and if you want to hear 5150 tone in a rock setting check out the tunes on my bands myspace page (particularly lessons in love). That's the nice full crunch with smooth powerful leads the 5150 can give ya.

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=3777251&Mytoken=20041203092837

Hope that helps ya!