20 minutes ago: disappointment

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
walk into local record store, looking for either the Mare ep or the new ISIS.
i look in ROCK section, where i find an ISIS bin with only an old ep in it.

store clerk walks by, dressed in all black with pointy mohawk and piercings, and asks if i need help finding something. i think to myself "Maybe this guy will actually be helpful!" and i say "i was looking for the new ISIS?"
he says "ISIS? i dunno, let me look in the computer."
i then look to the right of the register and see a METAL section, and find it therein and say "nevermind." he says "oh, yeah, Chris is our metal guy. he'd have known."

My point: is it discriminatory of me to assume that since he was in all black with piercings and stuff he'd know something about metal? and even so, not counting my snap judgement on what kind of music he himself listens to, but shouldn't you, if you work in a record store, at least be apprised of what new releases there are, especially if you are considered a boutique record store, and at least be somewhat knowledgable about your field?

or did i just write this thread to be able to say ISIS in all caps 5 times?
nevermind the fact that having two ISIS bins is misleading.
make that 6 times.

I think I have encountered about two knowledgeable record store clerks in my life so I am not surprised. My new favorite store is actually a couple of blocks from my job and one of the guy there is like an encyclopedia, much like Dick in High Fidelity but just about everything independant. All my friends look at me like a weirdo when I start suggesting music and making connections between them but I am a lightweight compared to this guy. He is also very rude with customers, which is something I like, it feels like I have my own presonal store.

There's this place called VIntage Vinyls in NJ....woodbridge? somewhere central NJ.

anyway...that place rocks, because everyone working there really has their shit together as far as music goes.

If I owned a record store, which hopefully some day I will, and you walked into my store, and came up to me, and you asked about the new ISIS, I would be able to help you out.

I do that "this guy knows about metal" generalization in stores as well though. Probably shouldn't since I don't look metal in any sort of way.

oh yeah, i meant to add that i walked in wearing khakis and a sweater.
that was a pseudocrucial cog to the story i left out.

and azal, they have a vintage vinyl here as well, which is really one of the only awesome record stores in town. they have in-store performances a lot-i think dysrhythmia may have even played there when they came through once.

I think record stores should be obligated to hire people familiar with a wide range of music, and I'm surprised they didn't have Panopticon in stock, most places here have multiple copies on the shelves and I've seen it on the listening stations...

The only knowledgable music clerk I've ever known, I ended up playing in the same band with. Same store, different clerk (weird swirly colour t-shirt and unkept long hair guy), I pick up a random Ozrik Tentacles cd and at check-out he goes "wow, you must really know your stuff if you like the Ozrik". I told him it was for a friend and I didn't listen to this "hippy music" at all and gave him a stern look :(