2003: State of the State, Take 2

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
I think I may have given this speech before, but I didn't re-read what I wrote at the beginning of the month, heh.

blah. excuse a, b, c, d which sound good at the time but are just all horrible looking at the end of January and there hasn't been an issue of a 'weekly' newsletter since the end of December. Personal crap, out of town crap, crap crap. At one point I was quite worried I'd needing to be refunding for all unsent issues, but today I found out the axe wasn't falling on our particular office of the corporation and isn't likely to (25% of my company's [you know, day job... heh] workforce is being laid off... ugh http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/business/0103/29earthlink.html ), so full speed ahead.

This Friday, the Year End/Reader Survey issue will mail. It's done. I'm just delaying the mailing now to be on the regular mailing schedule so the next issue (Swanö interview which is half transcribed plus columns) will be on regular schedule and not the 'Tuesday here, Saturday there' etc. The year end prizes will be mailed out Friday as well, and winners will be notified by email overnight tonight.

Also on Friday, a massive update will be made to the website, including last year's Swanö massive massive interview added to hopefully get some pull for the new interview.

All new orders (and contest winners from the last Seismic show) from the past two weeks are going to be processed this week and the last issue sent out to them...

Also behind in columnist pay for columns already run (and a bit backlogged on columns not yet published), will contact columnists individually on this. Haven't even had that direct conversation with garth yet (who I acknowledged as having resigned last message I posted)... hell, I'm about 2 weeks behind on ALL emails as well, so argh.

Basically, it is time for LotFP to shit and get off the pot. With Blabbermouth, BWBK and other instant news sources on the net, and then bigger mags like BWBK (again!), and Metal Maniacs on the newsstand with large circulations, LotFP has to be two things: Timely, and frickin good. I think I've given myself this speech before, and in public before, but dammit... now there is NOTHING between here and May that should cause any problems.

By December 31, 2003, LotFP will be something that's reliably on time, and a must-read (and those of you who consistently renew subscriptions THANK YOU, you let me know the work that is getting done is good work), or it'll be time to end it. We'll know at about, oh, October or so, won't we?

Yeah, there's a pep talk. Why is LotFP something you should buy NOW and be excited about NOW?

Well... as always, the best interviews in the biz*... got almost a dozen in the can which will be spat out forthwith, including Necrophobic, Manticora, Madder Mortem, Amon Amarth, etc...

Almost two dozen 2003 releases are on my desk and some of them you'll not likely hear about in the big mags (new While Heaven Wept is my hot pick of the moment!), and some I wish I'd never heard of at all...

Absolutely unfriendly to record labels and publicists (unless they're right... which happens, you know) trying to spit out crap, absolutely brutal to bands which should not be, a scythe cutting through the 'scene' to find the unique and worthy pieces of art that metal and related fields can give to us...

THAT is what LotFP has to offer. So if you haven't subscribed, hit me up for a 4 issue subscription as a test... (or through Metal Ages, Worm Gear, or The End's mail order...!)... at best, you get 4 weekly issues that'll amaze you... at worst, you'll get 4 issues not quite weekly that'll amaze you... so come on in... ;)

* contemporary interviews, anyway... 'kin Snakepit...

Obviously I don't know what you'll be asking in the survey, but if you haven't considered it yet, maybe you ask for everyone's email address and send any notices like the one above to the subscribers directly. There's a good chance that some people don't visit this messageboard and will therefore miss out on these LotFP updates.

I just found issue #2 of LotFP zine. Who's on the cover?

F

Originally posted by Nebularus
Obviously I don't know what you'll be asking in the survey, but if you haven't considered it yet, maybe you ask for everyone's email address and send any notices like the one above to the subscribers directly. There's a good chance that some people don't visit this messageboard and will therefore miss out on these LotFP updates.

I just found issue #2 of LotFP zine. Who's on the cover?

F

#2? EEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

That's Runhild of Thorr's Hammer.