2009 ProgPower Interview with Steve Williams (Power Quest)

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
In preparation for their 2009 ProgPower appearance, I did an interview with Steve Williams. Because that performance was canceled, the interview never saw a light of day. I recently got an e-mail from someone, asking if I could share it with them. So I asked Glenn if it was OK if I posted it here, and he gave me the green light. So here is the unedited transcript of that interview.

As a side note, I thought Steve was one of the coolest musicians I've had the pleasure of chatting with. He comes across as completely genuine and has a wonderful sense of humor.

Greg: So first off, it’s a pleasure to speak with you, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do this interview.

Steve: Oh, no problem at all.

Greg: Although I would suspect most people who will be reading the program will be familiar with POWERQUEST

Steve: Well I guess it’s a simple mixture in some ways of a kind of European Power Metal, with a splash of 80s Hard Rock and the odd patch of Progressive Rock here and there.

Greg: And how would say that’s different from how you guys started?

Steve: I think there’s no doubt that when we started out we were straight ahead Power Metal, no frills, just what you see is what you get. As it’s gone on, different influences have come in. I think from my side, probably being a little bit older than most of the guys in the band, is where the 80s thing comes from. And certainly I’ve always been a big fan of bands like YES and MARILLION and stuff like that as well. So that explains some of the longer tracks.

(mutual laughter)

Greg: It’s interesting… when you talk about influences you tend to think about the artists who influenced you during the formative years. However, as a professional musician, do you find yourself continuing to be influenced, even by more modern artists?

Steve: I think so. There's no doubt it's a more prominent thing when you're younger. There's no getting away from it. You grow, you listen to your favorite bands, whoever they might be, and that's what kind of gets you to want to start a band in the first place. It's the same the world over, isn't really? But I think as time goes on, you get a lot older in life and a bit more experienced, you pull in influences that aren't just musical as well. I've certainly noticed that I spend an awful lot of time these days paying attention to what's actually going on in the world. Way more so than I did 10 or 15 years ago. And I think those kind of things have an impact as well. And you know, I think we all try and keep up with what's going on, new developments in the music scene, be it Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Melodic Metal, whatever you want to call it. And I think sometimes, it's more of a subconscious influence, from the newer stuff. You don't listen to these bands thinking, Wow... I want to be them." That's what you did 20 odd years ago. (mutual laughter).

But these things can seep in as you say. Even kind of curious stuff, like SOILWORK and LINKIN PARK, and things like that. You know, I would never religiously by albums by... but every so often I'll hear one song and I'll think, "Oh that's a kind of cool way of doing this, that or the other", you know? And you kind of store it away.

Greg: Interesting. So you started playing piano at the age of seven. At what age do things evolve from, Mom and Dad are forcing me to do this, to I think I'd like to make a career of music?

Steve: Well... I don't know. I think for probably four or five years after starting piano lessons before I got an inkling of an idea, to be honest with you. Growing up, I was a big sports fan as well. And I played a lot of sports. You know, I figured I had a reasonable crack at making a career in that.

Greg: In soccer? Or football rather?

Steve: No. Some of it is not really a big thing at all in the states, a game we got over here called cricket.

Greg: That's funny. Actually, I live in a neighborhood where we got a ton of little kids playing cricket.

Steve: Oh really?

Greg: Yeah, it's gaining in popularity over here. Well, maybe not so commercially. But a lot of people from India have brought the game over with them.

Steve: That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, you know, I was hell bent on being a star in that field, well for a number of years, until I had an unfortunate injury, back injury that put the kybosh on that, if you like. By this point, I had done all my grade exams in piano theory, that kind of stuff. I had also done violin lessons for six years as well, as a little sideline. But I think it wasn't until I moved away from... you always want to get a band going on. But I had never really thought about it from a serious point of view until I moved away, went to university and was thinking about what to do after that. And I spent a good portion of the 1990s trying to put a band together on the south coast of England. And it just wasn't happening, you know, for one reason or another. You'd think you found people, and then people couldn’t do it, couldn't be bothered, didn't have the dedication or whatever it might be. And this went on, and on, and on. Until, it was probably 1998, 1999, when I kind of came across the DRAGONFORCE guys, or they found me, if you like.

Greg: So then, let me now ask the obligatory DRAGONFORCE question. Which I have to imagine your sick of, because I read a bunch of interviews you've given in preparation for this, and it's the same question over and over again, so I'm not going to ask that one. (mutual laughter)

Steve: It never goes away, that one.

Greg: Yeah... and that's actually my question. Is it getting at all frustrating at this point? You guys have gone in two separate directions, it was nine years ago, the bands don't really sound much alike at this point, are you kind of sick of that question yet?

Steve: I wouldn't say I'm sick of it. I think we can say, surely I’ve answered it already. But having said that, you’re always getting opportunities from different people in interviews and I always take the approach that if somebody wants to talk to you, the least you can do is actually be polite and if the topics are on, offer. Certainly not got to, “Oh Christ, not that again” attitude. (mutual laughter)

Greg: But certainly you’ve got to have that thought in the back of your mind, like, “Come on, mate, I’ve been asked this question 200 times.” (mutual laughter)

Steve: I just look at it really, from the point of view that I can just roll out the answers. (mutual laughter)

Greg: So you mentioned you’re from the South of England. Is there much of a Metal scene there?

Steve: I’d say the broader question probably is there much of a Metal scene in the U.K. generally. The U.K. is really too small in terms of space to look at different scenes… now. Maybe in the 70s and the 80s, it was more fractured if you like. But now bands, right from their inception are more prepared to get outside their local area. They always want to get to play London, they always want to play further afield. There’s more of a scene spirit about it these days. We, with POWER QUEST certainly try to encourage younger bands, who are maybe only 17 or 18 years of age. So when we go out, in England and Scotland, we always get some of these bands to play with us, you know. Rather than get someone who might be on the same level as we are or whatever. But it’s always good to give opportunities to people when it comes to supports slots and all that kind of business.

Greg: That’s great.

Steve: There’s plenty of bands out there. You have to dig a little bit a lot of the time, they’re certainly not on the tip of the tongue of most Metal fans. But having said that, it depends on what your particular Metal bag is. If you’re into more extreme stuff, there’s a lot of decent up and coming Death Metal bands kicking around in the U.K. at the minute. There’s also a lot of the older style, you know the 80s type bands, like in the states are making a reappearance after a number of years. So the scene is there, if you want to call it a scene. The biggest problem I can see is that, as a musician and as someone who goes to gigs often as I can, is that people don’t actually seem to want to go to shows these days, which is a bit of a shame really.

Greg: And do you think that says more about the state of the economy or does it say more about the state of music?

Steve: I’m not sure. I don’t really think it’s a financial thing or a credit crunch thing, or whatever you want to call it. What I know is, the older fans still come out. It seems that a lot of the younger fans don’t see the need to go to the live show. They’d rather watch someone on YouTube or something like that. Which I think as all tied with the whole issue of downloading and stuff like that. It all comes as a bit of package as far as I can see. The whole idea of going to a show or even waiting for an album to come out, like we use to do in the 80s., when you were almost counting down the days. Nowadays you know it’s out there before it’s even released, so that kind of excitement is gone. And I think when you were waiting for an album to come out you didn’t know, and then you heard, “Oh, there’s going to be a tour” and then it was like double excitement. And that whole thing seems to have been lost a little bit. I think it’s all part and parcel of the same issue.

Greg: That’s interesting as well. Obviously the scene is not prominently featured on radio or MTV any longer. Given that, do you feel MP3s have helped your band more than they’ve hurt it or hurt it more than they’ve helped it?

Steve: Yeah… it’s a good question. I think you can take to polar opposite sides as well. I think certainly, when we started out in 2001, without the internet it would have been pretty impossible for us to get off square one, if you like. I think it was a definite boon and a boost. For example, had the band started in 1991, I doubt we’d still be playing, ten years later. The flipside of the whole internet thing is, it has on your financial situation if you like. You know, we don’t sell tons of albums, as you can imagine. It’s a frustrating thing when you think, hold on a minute, there’s all these people who have heard the album, in chat rooms, I know you haven’t bought it. And how do you think you’re actually supporting the band? Now the worst thing for me is, people who will buy the album and then upload it for everybody else. I don’t understand that at all. I can’t get my head around that. Why would you want to do that? But I think also, there’s an education thing or issue if you like. I think kids. a lot of the time younger kids, have no concept of how much it costs to make a record. They also have no concept of how much contribution there is from record companies. It’s certainly not like the old days. You’re not going to get a six figure or even a five figure advance a lot of the time to do a record. Still, the thought we always have is, ok we understand current situation regarding the industry. For example, if we got 8,000 pounds to do a record, but it’s not enough, we want to make a 12,000 pound, 16,000 pound record, than we’ll bump up the difference ourselves. But then the problem is, you’re not stealing from the record company, you’re actually stealing from us. That frustrates the hell out of me, when you work nine to five, Monday through Friday to finance the end product and people are taking it for nothing. I know it’s the nature of the beast now and we’re certainly not the only people who feel the same way, but I don’t what the answer is to be honest.

Greg: I don’t either. And it definitely seems to be a generational thing and it’s likely only going to get worse.

Steve: Oh, I have no doubt. I think the concept of physical product when it comes to music is probably something that’s gone out of fashion, very, very quickly.

Greg: It certainly does seem that way. So let’s change direction a bit. I noticed that while you’re from England, most of your band is from Italy. So, how do you feel that impacts you? How does that change the dynamic, than if they were all in the U.K.?

Steve: Well, I suppose it’s something that’s become normal, if you like, for us. Certainly with Alessio (Garavello) and Andrea (Martongelli) who have been in the band since 2002, so that’s pretty much the entire existence of the band anyway. Francesco (Tresca) came a long in 2005, so he’s been with us nearly four years as well. Yeah, I’m the only person actually in the U.K. Our bass player, Steve Scott, moved back to New Zealand now. He was previously based in London, that was just a short bit away from me. But now we’ve got Oliver Holzwarth playing bass for us, of course he’s based in Germany. So yeah, four guys in Europe and me. (mutual laughter)

Greg: Does that make it difficult to get sharp prior to a tour?

Steve: It doesn’t seem to. I think the key to that is that whenever a show, festival or tour comes in or even when we’re doing an album everybody seems to be so fired up without me actually needing to fire them up, that it all comes together quite nicely. We do some ridiculous thing sometimes. The tour we did with ANGRA a couple of years ago, three weeks around Europe, we didn’t actually have any rehearsals.

Greg: Really?

Steve: No. Nothing. Not a half hour session. We didn’t even head for the tour, we all arrived from different places, set up and played. Everybody was saying to us after, “Great show, how much rehearsal did you do?” I’m like, “Well… none.” (mutual laughter)

Greg: That’s amazing. So how do you all practice? Are you playing to a metronome? Are you playing to a CD that had your part removed?

Steve: We do a combination of those things really. We have CDs tracks, with parts missing that we substitute ourselves on when we’re practicing. And because everyone’s been playing these songs for a while, apart from the new ones, playing the older songs for a long time, they’re kind of engrained in everyone I think. You can turn up at rehearsal having changed a 10 or 12 song set list. We’ll go through the songs and you think, OK, that one’s not quite working. So we’ll say, “Right. What else you know?” OK, we’ll try X. That sounds better, we’ll do that instead. It’s quite fluid process if you like.

Greg: You’re obviously a studied musician, are the other guys as well? Or are they more the type ho picked up a guitar and learned by ear?

Steve: No. I think Andrea, the guitar player, he’s been music, music, music all the way, you know. And even now, he’s got the best job title in the world for his day job, he’s Director of Metal.

Greg: Director of Metal?

Steve: He’s head of this guitar section, of the guitar school in Italy. And that’s the job title that comes with it. (mutual laughter)

Greg: Director of Metal. That’s awesome.

Steve: Alessio as well, he’s teaching singing, as well as performing. Both those guys play in a couple of other bands out in Italy as well. Francesco is not so much a formally trained musician, but he’s a (inaudible) student if you like. He’s a big fan of bands like RUSH and DEATH and bands like that, bands with very technical drumming. And he’s kind of worshipping at those altars, you know. Learning everything he can from those kind of guys. He’s got a slightly different approach. And of course Oliver’s been a pro for twenty odd years. So he’s as comfortable playing Peter Gabriel as he is playing Power Metal, which is fantastic.

Greg: So that’s the current line up. And you guys have had five members who have passed through…

Steve: Oddly enough we were talking about that the last time we were all together, a few weeks ago and I think we came up with seven.

Greg: Seven. Is that a factor of this not being a scene you can make a lot of money in? Is it a personality thing? Creative differences? All of the above?

Steve: I think it’s a mixture of all the things really. We’ve had the guitarists whose been in the band right at the start, he played on the first album, he’s now a qualified doctor. So he’s maybe gone his own way. One of our former drummers, Andre Bargmann, he’s a drum tech, whose teching with bands like HEAVEN & HELL, DIO and people like that. Of course we had Steve, who emigrated back to New Zealand, change of life, got fed up with life in the big city. So yeah, a myriad of different reasons for people heading off and doing their own thing. That’s the beauty of it. I think nobody whose left has left under a cloud. Everybody is still, if you bump into them from time to time, it’s all just like it was yesterday when left off.

Greg: So you guys are playing ProgPower in September, it’s your first U.S. performance, what are your expectations for the show?

Steve: Well, it’s the first trip stateside, so it’s a pretty big deal in and of itself. To be able to come and play at an event like ProgPower is also a big deal, because I’ve followed the event from a distance, pretty much since it started. And friends of mine, bands like THRESHOLD and PAGAN’S MIND have been over there and told me, what a great experience it is, not just from the performing side of things but from the actual social side of things as well. Getting to actually hang out with people you may have communicated through e-mail or MSN for a number of years, actually getting to meet in the flesh as you were. So I’m looking forward to that, almost as much as I’m looking to playing.

Greg: Well, I can tell you this. When they ran the video, at the conclusion of last year’s festival, announcing this year’s line up, there was a very boisterous cheer that went up when they announced POWER QUEST.

Steve: Oh cool.

Greg: So I think you guys will be playing to a very receptive audience.

Steve: You know what as well, I suppose that people don’t say thing very often, the fact that we’re going to be the first band, is actually a good thing from our point of view. We’re looking forward to sort of launching the weekend with a furious boot up its ass to be honest. (mutual laughter)

Greg: So, when you play a festival like ProgPower, there’s obviously a lot of top tier musicians. Is that something you’re even aware of? Do you think, there are some guys here with some serious chops, I have to really bring it? Or are you pretty much oblivious to that?

Steve: For me, and I don’t know if it’s an age thing or whatever, I don’t tend to get too caught up in the competitiveness between bands and musicians. It’s more the case, as we always say, whether you’re playing a festival to a thousand people or you’re playing a small show to 50 people, it doesn’t make any difference in terms of how much effort we’re going to put in and how much we’re going to enjoy it.

Greg: I read that you were hoping to do some U.S. dates either before or after ProgPower, and I guess that didn’t work out. Can you talk at all about what sort of happened there?

Steve: It’s very simple really. It’s all down to money I’m afraid. We just didn’t have the where with all to fund it ourselves and we didn’t have people prepared to put their money in the pocket and back it for a few shows. I think primarily, that’s due to the fact that our last album came out last year. Had it only been out for a month before ProgPower for example, probably would have been a different situation.

Greg: So that brings me to another question I have. I believe you guys have had four labels?

Steve: Yeah.

Greg: So you’re now on Napalm Records, which did your first U.S. release, Master of Illusion. So are you happy with the level of support you’re receiving from Napalm Records?

Steve: The first thing I have to say is the leap in professionalism when signing with Napalm was fairly large, in terms of how the business machine operates. I went from doing 20 or 30 interviews for an album to doing a hundred interviews. That was the first thing I noticed… well this is pretty good. And yeah, just getting the name out there, getting the adverts in magazines, not relying on the internet, has been a big bonus. In the past, we’ve had relations where, foe the Magic Never Dies album, there was hardly any promotion at all. What there was, was word of mouth than anything else. Yeah… Napalm has done a great job really, particularly when you consider they haven’t got too many other bands like us on the roster.

Greg: So you mentioned the press, and talking about the presses coverage of Master of Illusion, it seems it’s been overwhelmingly positive. And it seems that many see it as something of a shift in direction for POWER QUEST. How do you view Master of Illusion?

Steve: I’d actually say, to my ears anyway, Master of Illusion is probably our heaviest album to date. Without a shadow of doubt, in the sense that it’s the first album we’ve ever tuned down for, for starters. There was conscious effort with that record to make it more guitar-oriented. I think both Neverworld and the Magic Never Dies were both very keyboardy records, which of course is my fault entirely. (mutual laughter) Where as Wings of Forever was quite guitar-oriented album as well. So we wanted to get back to basics a little with the guitars, Make sure there’s more riffs in there, more crunchy riffs, but still leaving the melodic as well. Try to meld the two different styles as well, if you like, to try and take us on a slightly different path.

Greg: And the title track to Master of Illusion is about out former President. I’m guessing you’re not a fan?

Steve: Not exactly. (mutual laughter) It’s difficult when you talk about specific people. But the way, Mr. Bush has kind of portrayed himself, has been one the most comedic things I’ve seen for a long time.

Greg: (laughter) For the record, I couldn’t agree more.

Steve: I just quite couldn’t get my head around how someone like that could be elected in the first place. That was my thing. I’m sure he’s a perfectly pleasant bloke, but he just comes across as a little bit dumb. Not aware of his surroundings half the time, not aware of the impact of what he’s actually saying. But you know, I can’t exactly sing the praises of our guys over here either.

Greg: So I understand, you guys are working on a new CD.

Steve: Yeah. It’s pretty much written to be honest. I went out to Italy in February (2009), spent a long weekend out there with the boys. Took some ideas I had and some completed songs and all that kind of stuff, took seven or eight songs out with me. And normally what happens is I’ll take that number of songs and the guys will go, “Yep. Yep. No. Yep.” And so on and so forth. And this time it was yep, yep, yep all the way through. And I was saying, “You like everything… I got plenty of these?” And they’re like, “No. No. Can you write a couple more, than we’ll have an album.” So we hammered out several while we were out there for four days. Had a curious bout of writer’s block for a couple of weeks. Than another piece came along shortly after that. So yeah, the material is all ready to go. We were, actually going to start recording it, this week? I think it was today actually. But we took a long hard look at the situation to be honest, and it comes back to the current financial situation and all that kind of thing. We have an album out 12 months ago. People haven’t got a lot of money in their pockets. Do we really want to be in a situation where we put out a record and it’s just going to get downloaded for nothing again and get lost in the noise again. OK. We’ve got the album written. Let’s sit on it. Let’s come back to it in a couple of months. Let’s listen to the songs we worked on. Let’s see if we’re still happy with what we were happy with and then we’ll pick it up from there. So we’re probably looking now at maybe September. We should have set the date by them, as to when we’ll start recording the next one.

Greg: With the songs you have written, how would you say they compare to your previous works?

Steve: I’d say it’s almost like the same difference between Magic Never Dies and Master of Illusion. The same difference again for the next record. Again, quite guitar-oriented, short songs as well. I think that’s another thing with Master of Illusion, the length of the songs started coming down from the sort of seven or eight minutes to sort of four, five, six, we even had one that was under four minutes I think, which was a first. I think there’s a conscious thought process now to weed out unnecessary, lengthy solo sections that don’t do anything other than show off, you know. I love guitar solos and keyboard solos as much as the next person, but if they don’t actually hold some sort of purpose in the song or are critical to the actual structure of it, they why do it? That’s the kind of philosophy we’ve been looking at recently

Greg: You mentioned earlier, touring with ANGRA. And you guys have been out with a lot of big names; HELLOWEEN, DREAM EVIL. Is there any one moment that sort of stands out as something special or unique?

Steve: Yeah… I think the U.K. tour we did with HELLOWEEN was definitely one of the highlights for sure. Being a fan of HELLOWEEN since probably 1985. So to finally get an opportunity to play with the guys was incredible. Not only that, their fans really seemed to take to what we did as well. Even better, obviously. Yeah, big memories of the crowd reaction on that particular tour. And the HELLOWEEN guys themselves were really sort of kind and gracious with us as well. Which is always nice, when you’ve been a fan of a particular band. You don’t want your illusion to be shattered, if you like. No… they were all real gentlemen to us, to be honest. We couldn’t have asked for anything better. Yeah… the ANGRA tour was great, again everyone treated us like long lost friends if you like. The crowds were interesting on that particular tour. Over three weeks you’re going to get a variety of people. You can see the differences in the cultures, from country to country, by how they reacted at shows. Spain and Portugal pretty much go nuts all the way through the show, without pausing for breath. The French are a bit more reserved, they stand and watch, then applaud politely during the break. (mutual laughter)

Greg: That’s interesting.

Steve: Yeah… that was kind of interesting from a people watching perspective, if you like. And I think playing with THRESHOLD, another one of my favorite bands. we played with them a few times.

Greg: Have you ever been surprised by a crowd reaction? Where you were received better than you would have ever imagined?

Steve: Yeah… I think it was Madrid, was the one that surprised me the most. Quite a small venue really, only a couple hundred people in there. But that night, we seemed to get 10 or 20 times the reaction that the other bands got. Which as the opening band, was quite surreal, to hear your band name chanted when the next band is starting to play.

Greg: That must be an amazing feeling.

Steve: Well, it’s kind of bad isn’t it. It’s good from your perspective, but when you become friends with the other band, over the period of time that you’ve been out with them, you kind of feel for them as well.

Greg: I know you’ve been over to the ProgPower forum and I know you have your own forum on Ultimate Metal, so I’m guessing one of the questions you see a lot is , which POWER QUEST disc should I start with? Which one would you recommend to people?

Steve: It’s a good question, I’d say… most people would say the new album, wouldn’t they, the most recent one. I think for POWER QUEST, if you want an accurate starting point, probably the best place to start is the Neverworld record, our second one. That would give you a broader appreciation of what that band is about, in the sense that it’s got Power Metal, it’s got Hard Rock, it’s got the progressive stuff. It gives you a taste of all the different angles that we can cover, from time to time. But if you’re a traditional Power Metal fan you probably want to start with Master of Illusion or Wings of Forever.

Greg: So my last question… what’s your goal for POWER QUEST? If I asked you, where are you hoping to be in three years or five years or ten years?

Steve: I guess I’m a realist at heart. I don’t anticipate the band being mega big or anywhere near mega big, to be honest. My ambitions, and it’s the same for the rest of the guys, is if we could make some kind of living out of doing this, it would be fantastic. And I’m not talking hundreds of thousands of pounds or dollars or whatever. If we could all be in a position to make what we do from our day jobs, from music, I’d be happy. Even if that’s not the case, I think for me and the rest of the boys, it’s a case of we enjoy what we do so much, we’d be doing irrespective whether anybody was paying any attention or not. We enjoy playing together, we enjoy each other’s company, we enjoy writing songs together. Even if we didn’t have a record deal, we’d still be making albums and putting them out.

Greg: Steve, I really appreciate your time. I look forward to your set in Atlanta and I hope you have a kick ass show.

Steve: Thank you. Pleasure to talk to you.

Thanks for this Greg. I really appreciate it. Great interview. It still pains me that I didn't get to see PQ that year as they were one of the deciding factors for me to attend the fest.

Thanks for this Greg. I really appreciate it. Great interview. It still pains me that I didn't get to see PQ that year as they were one of the deciding factors for me to attend the fest.

Ditto. However - that year was my first ProgPower, and I've been going ever since, so I'm still calling it a "win" for me.