2012: We are off to a good start....

Hey... have you heard the 66crusher CD, Blackest Day? I would think you'd be all over it. I described to a friend this way... Picture a world where it's 2005. Evergrey has just released Inner Circle. And instead of incorporating influences from Hard Rock, Tom spends a month in the woods listening to nothing but Opeth's Still Life and Enslaved's Isa. That's what we have here. The melodies may take a few listen's to sink in, but the music is just phenomenal.

I made a promise to myself to not spend any money on records this month since, over the past couple, I've been going way over my allotted budget. Time to cut back a bit.

Thanks for making me break this promise 4 days into the month :devil:

Zod, this is excellent (listening to the song Blackest Day). How is their first album?

This year is off to a rather good start for me. Those I have enjoyed....

Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man & the Spirit
Caligula's Horse- Moments from Ephemeral City
Devil's Train- Devil's Train
Dimension Act- Manifestations of Progress
Epica- Requiem for the Indifferent
Furyon- Gravitas
Imminent Sonic Destruction- Recurring Themes
Iron Fire- Voyage of the Damned
Lacuna Coil- Dark Adrenaline
Mustasch- Sounds Like Hell, Looks Like Heaven
Opera Diabolicus- 1614
Rage- 21
Savage Messiah- Plague of Consciousness
Silent Lapse- Birthright
Southern Cross- From Tragedy
Van Halen- A Different Kind of Truth
Xandria- Neverworld's End

My favorite tune so far is the 31+ minute melodic prog epic, "Perspectives Chapter 1" by Dimension Act.

I'm still on the fence with the new Van Halen.
Furyon wasn't too shabby
Lacuna Coil lost me a few years back, I'll check out the Amazon samples
Iron Fire has been on my radar for a while, but for whatever reason never picked up an album to try them out, the samples I heard were good on this!
Mustasch seems to need more digging by me
Xandria was a blind buy for me, liked the other albums I have

Devil's Train - WOW, love it, it's on my order list.
:yow:
Thanks for posting your current list, Devil's Train just made a sale.

Check out a band called Sideburn (either one actually, both aren't bad) for some good old rock'n roll... one is more doomy/Sabbathy than the other.

There's a new Lord Of Mushrooms disc?!? Their first was one of the most underrated discs of the last decade. Must get...

Ditto. Glad to hear they are still around. The first album was great.

I am yet to listen to any 2012 release. Am I wasting my life?

I only just bought my first release of 2012 today, and that's the new Van Halen.

I don't know how many of you do it. It is a lot just to catch up on a lot of the stuff released last year. I'm always playing catchup.

My favorite releases of this year so far have been:

Of Glenn's list, I loved Beyond the Bridge and Van Halen, but they weren't AOTY material for me. I'm really pumped for Angel Witch, Paradise Lost, Periphery, Rhapsody and a bunch others.

Last edited by a moderator:
First impression....this is what I want Wolverine to be.
Wolverine is such a talented band. But I just don't care for how melancholy and dark they are. Which may sound odd, coming from a fan of some of the more extreme genres. However, dark and depressed, without aggression, is just depressing to me.

I haven't heard any of the rest. It's on my To Buy list near the top.
I'd be very surprised if you didn't love this disc.

I made a promise to myself to not spend any money on records this month since, over the past couple, I've been going way over my allotted budget. Time to cut back a bit. Thanks for making me break this promise 4 days into the month :devil:
LMAO.

Zod, this is excellent (listening to the song Blackest Day). How is their first album?
Have yet to hear it. I've heard it's much heavier.

Devil's Train - Devil's Train
Axel Rudi Pell - Circle Of The Oath
Ecliptica - Journey Saturnine
Unisonic - Ignition
Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control
Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue
Savage Messiah - Plague of Conscience
The Sacrificed - III

My favorite Hard Rock CD so far of 2012

Dynazty - Sultans Of Sin

My favorite Heavy Metal CD so far for 2012

Knight Fury - Time To Rock

Some killer singles released from SHOK PARIS, and EDEN'S CURSE as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXms5XNwP4w&feature=player_embedded

Hi Metal Madman

My name is Tom-Vidar Salangli. I'm the singer of DIMENSION ACT.
I was recommended by a old friend of mine, Ronny Tegner from PAGANS MIND to contact you. You see we are releasing our debut-album on the 7'th of March _\m/

We wonder if you or someone else in this forum, working with reviews, would like to review our album?

please contact us for full digital or CD on mail:

tomsalangli@hotmail.com
or facebook:
dimension act

best regards
Tom-Vidar salangli

Let's see, for 2012 releases...

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Ame
Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
Lanfear - This Harmonic Consonance

Still in the process of digesting:

Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man & The Spirit
Southern Cross - From Tragedy

And thanks to Zod on the suggestion of 66Crusher. I like that a lot.

Yeah I was trying to detect sarcasm as well but I couldn't be 100% sure. Maybe he liked it the freak! I thought I was the only freak who can like Sonic Station AND Napalm Death though! Spill the beans Aeonic...are you taking the piss mate or what??? lol!

I'm serious! It reminds me alot of Rush's Hold Your Fire album which (even though I know it gets alot of hate) is a favorite of mine.

Seriously? That band makes Toto look like Motorhead.

I suppose it does. Toto (the s/t anyways - their only good album as far as I'm concerned) was 70's rock (not unlike Boston, Bad Company, and Foreigner) and this has more of an 80's synth pop vibe. Apples and oranges to my ears! Unlike most of the stuff Frontiers puts out, I felt this actually sounds like a classic 80's pop-rock record and not a bunch of 50 year old Italian dudes pretending they're in a Survivor cover band.

So far for 2012 its been all NIGHTWISH - I'm still catching up on some late 2011 stuff.

Looking forward to the new ones from:
UNISONIC (can't freaking wait)
TYKETTO
TRIXTER
JEFF SCOTT SOTO

So far, I've liked:

Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man & the Spirit
Iron Fire - Voyage of the Damned
Xandria - Neverworld's End

For 2012 releases, I've had Rizon - Masquerade in light rotation. Melodic power.

I thought that what I've heard of the Epica album was sort of phoning it in. It was ok. Wasn't into the Savage Messiah either.

I look forward to hearing the Lacuna Coil, Caligula's Horse, and of course the rest of what comes out this year...

Last edited by a moderator: