My Top 40 of 2012

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Just in time for Christmas!

My annual disclaimer:

This list is not based on technical ability, artistic merit, production values or anything like that. I rate music on simply what I enjoy. My enjoyment is based on an emotional level. Does the music give me chills? Make me want to trash something? Or simply make me tap my toes with a beer in my hand at poolside. I really don’t try to over think this list nor play politics with the labels. It is what it is.

Furthermore, my list crosses several genres. If you are a band member reading this, please don’t feel slighted if you don’t see your disc listed. I may have really enjoyed your music quite a bit and would have ranked it within the Top 20 of a specific genre if I were filtering the list as such.

Also, it happens every year. I have no doubt I have left a great disc off the list simply because of an error. I reserve the right to tweak the list at any given moment.

Before we begin, here are ten discs that just missed the cut in alphabetical order:

Accept- Stalingrad
Bad Salad- Uncivilized
Holy Grail- Ride the Void
Imminent Sonic Destruction- Recurring Themes
Jeff Scott Soto- Damage Control
Kissin' Dynamite- Money, Sex, & Power
Ne Obliviscaris- Portal of I
Seven Kingdoms- The Fire is Mine
Southern Cross- From Tragedy
Teodor Tuff- Soliloquy

Without further ado…..

40. Andre Matos- The Turn of the Lights: Andre is at the top of his game with the mid-paced stuff that stretches things. He starts to lose me on the speedier tunes as they are just missing that special something that Kiko & Rafael added in the Angra glory days. Regardless, he remains one of my faves.

39. Blindstone- Greetings from the Karma Factory: I’m lucky to hear one good bluesy rock disc every 2-3 years. Thankfully, this was one of those years. This is all about the groove and the monster guitar licks being laid down.

38. Bloodbound- In the Name of Metal: Let’s be honest. The dumbed it down to Dream Evil’s level and it worked perfectly for them. Give me a beer and a cliché and get the hell out of the way.

37. Engel- Blood of Saints: It’s nowhere near as catchy as the last release, but it still has plenty of industrial hooks to draw me back for repeated listens. If you can’t handle In Flamez or the like, move along…nothing to see here.

36. Sabaton- Carolus Rex: It pains me to list them this low. The title track gets the blood boiling, but it’s missing those epic, faster cuts to sweep me up in the glory of battle. I’m also a total snob when it comes to having my lyrics in English so that failure is on me.

35. Susypre- Susypre: The songwriting on this disc has improved dramatically. It just feels smoother with a ton more melodies than in the past. Plus, any band that has the balls to put saxophone in their metal automatically makes the list.

34. Trail of Murder- Shades of Art: This is probably the one disc that I haven’t spent as much time with as I would have liked. If so, it probably would have ranked a bit higher. It has the crunch & heavy melody along with the return of Urban. It may be about as close to the Tad Morose era we all truly loved that we will ever get.

33. Heaven’s Cry- Wheels of Impermanence: This disc probably challenged me more than most. It took me several listens before I really started to enjoy their brand of prog metal as it’s just not that immediate. I don’t do that often to be honest as there is just too much music out there. That should tell you how good this is.

32. Dimension Act- Manifestations of Progress: Criminally under-rated traditional prog metal with plenty of crunch. I tried to hype this disc earlier in the year and got *crickets.* I haven’t changed my mind.

31. At Vance- Facing Your Enemy: I really think sometimes that folks rush on blindly trying to find the next big thing and forget there are some quality bands that have been around for years that are still kicking ass. They have tweaked their style a bit over the years and this is my favorite since the Oliver Hartmann era. Melodic power with some big hooks….

30. Affector- Harmageddon: Ted Leonard (Enchant vocalist) rules on this project. It may seem like just another prog metal disc, but there is quite a bit of technical chaos going on if you listen close enough. If overt Christian lyrics are an issue for you, skip it.

29. Symbolica- Precession: It’s about as close to Angel Dust as I have heard in recent years. It’s not as crunchy all the way through as I would have preferred, but I’ll gladly take it as is. The band needs a good label to get the word out.

28. Katatonia- Dead End Kings: I don’t do melancholy well. If I did, this would be in the Top 10. Regardless, it’s so well done that I can’t help but play it on a rainy day on occasion.

27. Mob Rules- Cannibal Nation: The guys didn’t re-invent the wheel on this one. However, what they did was continue the trend of releasing great melodic power metal with soaring vocals.

26. Nightmare- The Burden of God: Heavy/crunchy power metal isn’t exactly overflowing these days. Nightmare is one of the few bands that are keeping hope alive with the demise of Angel Dust, Tad Morose, Morgana Lefay, etc. I could use a bit more variety in the music, but I’ll take what I can get.

25. Speaking to Stones- Elements: How many of you have missed Zonder laying down the tracks on quality, melodic prog metal? Throw in Andy Engberg on vocals, a crazy good guitarist, and you have aninstant winning formula. This was a late listen for me so it will end up higher as time goes on.

24. Epica- Requiem for the Indifferent: I’m in the minority of a lot of Epica fans. While I enjoyed the last few discs, I thought this was a step up instead of backwards. Simone sounds amazing and the music just flows for me on all levels.

23. In the Silence- A Fair Dream Gone Mad: I’m rather picky when it comes to the dreamy side of prog. It has to have “soul” so to speak. Yeah, they dip their toes into the melancholic pond, but they pull back just in time before they lose me. I wouldn’t mind a few more soaring leads next time though.

22. ReinXeed- Welcome to the Theater- I called their music “cheesy” in a recent interview I did and it pissed off a few of their dedicated fans. What?! Did they not read the lyrics? Or am I the only one swinging through the jungle? That said, I maintain this is gloriously, over the top, fast cheesy power metal that I absolutely love!

21. Love Might Kill- 2 Big 2 Fail: The first of a great trio of heavy, melodic rock (AOR if you will) discs to make the list this year. The vocals are excellent and the choruses are right in my wheel house. If you miss the old Gotthard vibe, look no further.

20. Pellek- Bag of Tricks: Pellek joins the pantheon of next generation vocal studs. There is just an amazing chemistry between him and Tommy ReinXeed on this disc. Guests such as Tommy Karevik, Amanda Sommerville, & Oliver Hartmann take this Euro power metal disc up a notch.

19. Secret Sphere- Portrait of a Dying Heart: Shocker of the year. I had lost all interest in the band due to the last few subpar releases. However, not only has the addition of Luppi’s vocals excited me, but made the band a relevant player once again.

18. Delain- We are the Others: My wife would have killed me if I left them off the list. I kid! Delain are at the top of the pop metal scene for me. Charlotte’s vocals and charisma should take them to the next level with a bit more exposure.

17. Crow7- Symphony of Souls: The best “theatrical” release of the year. Oliva would be proud in places. However, be warned that there is quite a bit of pomp in places. Think Muse/My Chemical Romance, etc.

16. Ihsahn- Ermita: I was a casual fan prior to seeing him live. After that, I’m a serious fan. Most of you know the drill by now. If you can’t handle the rough vocals, it’s best you stay the hell out of the way. Once again…sax!

15. Threshold- March of Progress: Threshold is possibly the slickest & most polished prog metal band on the planet (yeah..shut up about Vanden Plas). Damian continues his magical run with his vocal performance. The only thing missing is an epic ala “Pilot in the Sky of Dreams” to really put this one over the top.

14. Gotthard- Firebirth: I didn’t think they could continue on without Stevie Lee to be honest. His voice was the soul of the band. Thankfully, I was wrong. The new guy sounds great and the melodic rock tunes continue to be first class. Honestly, I wish they would throw in a few upper tier rockers here and there though.

13. Oddland- The Treachery of Senses: Outstanding debut. Upon first listen, you get that classic Pain of Salvation vibe. However, there is a lot more going on that just that. This is a band that could join Leprous in carrying the torch with the next generation of prog metal. I’m a big fan of the passionate vocals. Buy or die for any prog metal fan.

12. Wolverine- Communication Lost: I have admitted it before. I was never a big fan of their slit your wrist style of prog metal. However, I forced myself to sit down and really absorb the emotions and lyrics with the music. It clicked. That said, I still can’t listen to it that often. I’m too happy of a guy.

11. Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pandora’s Pinata: Another fucked up winner from them. The absolute collision of styles and weirdness creates a charm unlike any other. I still have non-metal friends that love this band and ask me about them often.

10. Testament- Dark Roots of the Earth: It was a disappointing year in thrash for me (Overkill dropped the ball…). After the last few mediocre releases, Testament returned and stomped my ass into a mud puddle.

9. Xandria- Neverworld’s End: This came out of nowhere. I had written the band off long ago and still have a hard time believing the dramatic change in style. Yes..it’s old Nightwish. However, I never thought I would get to hear that sound done this well ever again.

8. Eclipes- Bleed and Scream: AOR/melodic metal release of the year. You can catch a great white shark with all the hooks on this thing. They join W.E.T. at the top of the genre.

7. Orden Ogan- To the End: Finally, another European power metal band takes the next step up. If they keep this kind of quality up, they will make the jump to headliner status. Buy or Die for any power metal fan. I have no doubt you will see them in Atlanta in the future.

6. Circus Maximus- Nine: I think you know the drill by now. I wrote a novel of a review before this came out and my feelings about it have not changed. It’s the perfect AoR/prog hybrid. However, I soooo miss the building crescendo of earlier tunes. That helped define the band to my ears.

5. Headspace- I Am Anonymous: How many of you secretly thought of this as a more progressive version of Threshold? Damian gives the vocal performance of his career here. The musicianship on display is incredible. I really hope they stay on target and keep up the pace. Another one that I want to see in Atlanta.

4. Beyond the Bridge- The Old Man and the Spirt: This is the #1 progressive metal release of the year. It’s lush, epic, stunning, and simply beautiful. I wish them all the best in the world, but I truly think they are fucked in terms of trying to top this one.

3. Kontrust- Second Hand Wonderland: I drank a lot of beer and shook my ass to this disc quite a bit this year. I bet their live show is just an amazing party. Sometimes you just need a good comic book instead of Pulitzers Prize literature.

2. Kamelot- Silverthorn: Not only did they not miss a beat with the loss of what’s his name, but they actually released a disc that ranks up there with the best in their catalog. I don’t think anyone truly envisioned just how well Tommy would mesh with the band. Youngblood remains the most under-rated guitarist in the scene. It’s just a sleek, sexy release. It would have been #1 any other year.

1. Damnation Angels- Bringer of Light: This came out of nowhere and reminded me what it was like to be a fanboy instead of a jaded promoter. Pellek is simply awesome in making me feel the lyrics. I also cannot think of any other band that has come close in recent memory to the symphonics on this disc. It’s hard to describe how you can connect with a disc on many levels. What I can tell you is that this disc gets my blood boiling and I’m ready to throw down. “Pride” is my #1 song of the year as well. It’s just a sonic landscape on multiple levels. You bastards better make room for me down front come September.

Last edited by a moderator:
"15. Threshold- March of Progress: Threshold is possibly the slickest & most polished prog metal band on the planet (yeah..shut up about Vanden Plas).

Hey...are you talking to me? The VP comment aside this Threshold CD is awesome and they need to come back to PP ASAP... You know you've got sponsor's for them :kickass:

"24. Epica- Requiem for the Indifferent: I’m in the minority of a lot of Epica fans. While I enjoyed the last few discs, I thought this was a step up instead of backwards. Simone sounds amazing and the music just flows for me on all levels."
Nope, I'm with ya on that one - it was a step up for me too, and I LOOOOOOOOVE Epica. Secret Sphere was a surprise goody for me as well, and I'm very glad to see Circus Maximus, Headspace, and Beyond the Bridge so close to the top.

That Damnation Angels disc really is killer. Very infectious album. Gave the 30-second-test to the Youtube videos with descriptions that sounded interesting to me, but Orden Ogan passed and turned into the full-song-test. Going to have to check that one some more.

32. Dimension Act- Manifestations of Progress: Criminally under-rated traditional prog metal with plenty of crunch. I tried to hype this disc earlier in the year and got *crickets.* I haven’t changed my mind.

To me, this disc is just TOO precise, if you will...... It's almost like they took a group of music students, gave them a textbook description of what prog-power music is supposed to be, and asked them as a homework assignment to compose an album. I don't want to say it sounds ARTIFICIAL, per se, but to me its VERY cliched. There are no surprises at all, and while it is all very well done, it's just a bit too fomulaic to be really blow me away.

Great list all around though.

Nice list Glenn. Quite a few of those will be on mine as well. Color me intrigued by Kontrust. Sounds weird, yet oddly interesting.

3. Kontrust- Second Hand Wonderland: I drank a lot of beer and shook my ass to this disc quite a bit this year. I bet their live show is just an amazing party. Sometimes you just need a good comic book instead of Pulitzers Prize literature.

glad I could help introduce you to their album! I envision a HUGE dance party similar to DSO if they ever played the fest!

I'm actually surprised not too see Baroness' Yellow & Green on your list. It's my unquestioned #1, and it's topping lists of a lot of zines/websites. Wondering if you ever checked it out, o capitan.

"It was a disappointing year in thrash for me (Overkill dropped the ball…)..."

:guh: 'scuse me?! I beg to respectfully differ.

and hey, you gotta look deeper than the major labels if you want true old school thrash these days...

from the heart of New England, I give you LICH KING! :kickass:

but if you're going to stick to the major labels, I'm not sure why this masterpiece did not make your list:

'Phantom Antichrist' is probably my number one thrash metal release of 2012. Yes, edging out Testament and my beloved Overkill. :worship:

edit: I need to leave my own disclaimer... if you are not at least bobbing your head or tapping your foot while listening to either of these videos I've posted, you should check your pulse. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice list. I am with you on Ne Obliviscaris, Teodor Tuff, Engel, Suspyre, Heaven's Cry, Affector, In the Silence, Ihsahn, Oddland, Testament, Circus Maximus, and Headspace. 12 out of 50 - That's pretty good given the small overlap in our musical tastes.

I was saddened to see a lack of hair metal/hard rock though. :D Did you end up liking any of these? All will be somewhere on my list.

Dynazty - Sultans of Sin
Jettblack - Raining Rock
Sister Sin - Now and Forever
Slash - Apocalyptic Love
Wig Wam - Wall Street

If you have not heard them, for thrash, I recommend (in order):

Martyrd - The Mortal Coil
Mad Maze - Frames of Alienation
Hexen - Being and Nothingness

Oh, and in case you did not check these guys out, Malrun released a cool melopowerdeath album:

Malrun - The Empty Frame

See you next fall!