2015 AOTY

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
It's that time folks.

Ghost - Meliora

Gunship - S/T
This video is meh, the other ones are much better but this song...

Ghostbath - Moonlover

for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
My top 5 as per today:

Earthside - A Dream in Static

Iris Divine - Karma Sown

Arcane - Known/Learned

Lonely Robot - Please Come Home

Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase

Symphony x - Underworld

Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud

Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart

Leprous - The Congregation

Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall - Kingdom Of Rock

Warren Haynes - Ashes and Dust

Admittedly, I probably don't have as much time nor the inclination to listen to as much music as many other here but some of my favs for the year include:

Symphony X - Underworld
Scale the Summit - V
Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine
Caligula's Horse - Bloom
Teramaze - Her Halo
Vanden Plas - Netherworld II

This thread usually helps me find some gems I have missed over the years so please contribute!

I haven't been on top of things this year, but for now...

Best album released this year:
Leprous - The Congregation

Best pre-2015 album I listened to for the first time this year:
Haken - Aquarius

I am sad I didn't listen to the latter a long time ago; it's a gem.

For me it's been an interesting year in terms of music as I've listened to more music that was new to me than ever before, almost 300 albums in fact, but only 30 or so have been from this year.

But most of those 30 were at least pretty good. Here's some of the best that I can remember enough about to write some impressions on:

Joanna Newsom - Divers
It's great. She's great. Shorter than Have One on Me, but far more varied in terms of instrumentation and style. Excellent song-writing, interesting lyrics, melodies, emotion, all the good stuff.

Laurie Anderson - Heart of a Dog
I'd been listening to a couple of her earlier albums when I saw this had come out. Apparently a soundtrack to a movie of hers, it's mostly ambient stuff with a spoken-word narrative. At times quite bizarre, at others very moving, definitely worth a listen if you are into this sort of a thing.

Boduf Songs - Stench of Exist
Like earlier Boduf Songs releases, it's thoroughly dark folk music with whispery vocals. A great soundtrack for middle of the night existential angst or what have you, probably not one for the optimists.

Tamaryn - Cranekiss
The earlier Tamaryn albums were a pretty decent shoegaze affair, but this time they've gone all Cocteau Twins-esque dream pop. I quite like Cocteau Twins, and it's not a poor imitation so I don't really mind. Several really good tracks, but don't expect anything that hasn't been done before.

Ghost - Meliora
I haven't listened to this in a couple of months now, but I immediately had the impression that this is probably the best Ghost album. A heavier direction with harder-hitting riffs than on the last album, but the melodies and hooks are as good as ever.

Arcane - Known/Learned
This was the one proggy metal album I heard this year that stuck as pretty damn good to me. It's probably too long (which I basically think about any double-album), but it's good.

Marika Hackman - We Slept at Last
More good new contemporary folk, well produced.She's an another one who writes about darker subjects with an all-around melancholic tone to the music, which is something I appreciate. A good debut.

Some other pretty decent albums:

Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
Dark, heavy, brooding, dronier in the first half, mellower on the second. She has a nice voice and I really like the soundscapes and the atmosphere, but after listening I find that most of the material hasn't been particularly memorable. I still like it.

Timbre - Sun & Moon
Pleasant folky stuff, but it's no Joanna Newsom.

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase
Is good if you like Steven Wilson.

Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes
Mark has decided to abandon conventional songwriting in favour of rambling about what's happened to him during the last couple of years. With mixed results. As a fan of his music, sure, it's worth listening, even several times, but he's done better music than this.

Barren Earth - On Lonely Towers
I thought this was an another good melodic prog/death metal album from Barren Earth, and a bit different from their first two as well. Reference points to early Amorphis are still there - a couple of ex-members write some of the songs. I'm not super into this type of music currently, but do check, if you are.

I'll do an update after re-listening some albums I listened to earlier in the year, and after checking a few from this thread.

I've never really listened to Ghost before, but I decided to check out Meliora and so far I'm enjoying it. I have to say that it's a lot mellower than I was expecting.

I checked out that Joanna Newsom album. I wanted to like it, but her voice is terrible, despite everything else being great. I just can't get over it.

That's a shame. I suppose her voice is one of those things that splits opinions quite heavily. I know what you mean in the sense I have in the past quickly given up on some otherwise interesting albums because I didn't like the vocalist, but lucky for me, I really quite like Newsom's voice.

It's a bit dispiriting in the sense that I don't know if there's much to do about liking or not liking voices. I can't remember if there are any vocalists I initially disliked and later greatly liked, 'getting used to it' is really about it.

The single from the new album for reference:

I watched a bunch of Gunship videos. A couple are really great visually, and although one might think that the 80s glorifying synth pop would have gotten a bit old by now, I guess not! Works for me.

That's a shame. I suppose her voice is one of those things that splits opinions quite heavily.

I think the same happened with Kate Bush too, when she started her career, but then people started to appreciate her voice. To be honest, Newson's voice is unique, I give u that, but doesnt have the same power what Bush had and almost sounds like she is not sure how to properly use that technique.

That being said, the song itself is pretty good.

I can't sing. I suck horribly. And I know a lot of people who DON'T suck at singing. And what's clear is that this is an untrained voice. With control and training, she could be quite good. I think it's part of a growing trend to sound lo-fi. Women like Feist and Regina Spektor have done it successfully, blending harsh pitch changes and minimal processing with melody and, in some cases, a lot of overdub self harmonies. It's worked well. But it doesn't work for everyone, and I think it's a mark of experience to be able to pull it off.

Joanna Newsom might be 'untrained' in the conventional sense - she's said so herself - but she has been doing this for over 10 years now. Her singing is already markedly different from the 2004 debut when she had in fact only been singing for about a year since stopping in childhood. In her words:

"I used to do musicals. I used to do a lot of theater, and I would always get cast as the wicked witch or the little kid. It was always a character role because I had this really intensely charactered voice. I didn't have a smooth, classically beautiful voice, and I just got self-conscious about it and thought I couldn't sing, and so I stopped singing."

(She also explains in the same interview that she only started singing again when she heard more unconventional singing in old folk music recordings for the first time.)

But talking about technique, technically acrobatic abilities are quite secondary to me when it comes to singers (And I do like many 'unconventional' sounding singers), but I think you are wrong when you say Newsom doesn't have control; she's got plenty to be able to do certain things she does.* The difference is that she doesn't attempt to hide the natural characteristics of her voice.

*The final crescendo of Sapokanikan or, for more subtleties, a song like 'Easy' from her previous album:

Maybe it'd be worthwhile to start a new topic just to talk about singers? I could bring up several other interesting cases like Alison Shaw, Devin Townsend, Mat Sweet, Layne Staley etc., as well as the many more mainstream popular unconventional singers like Axl Rose, Freddie Mercury, or the already mentioned Kate Bush.

I kind of like her voice. But then I do have a bit of a thing for weird female singers like Björk and Fever Ray and so forth.

As for the album of the year, I once again have no idea at this point. Currents by Tame Impala? The opener is certainly a strong candidate for song of the year. The new FSOL album seems pretty legit. I'm sure more will reveal themselves in time.