2203kk gain stacking, 12 clips beaston/off master vs preamp etc

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
so, some of you might be interested in this...I just did a couple of quick clips to show you the gain structure of the 2203/2203kk.

the settings (EQ) were the same on all the files, I only changed:
Beats on/off (with the beast off the 2203 is the same as the regular 2203)
-Mastervol
-Preamp vol
-Attack (beast-circuit boost)

so here you can check how the gain structure changes in relation to the settings of the different gain knobs.

Guitar was a Jackson USA SL-1 with 18v emg 81 in the bridge. TS was on all the time. drive down level up

Cab was the Mesa 4x12, Mic was just the m201 (matches the amp quite well, doesn't it?)

ignore the sloppy playing

first the clips with the beast switch disengaged (2203)

Master:4 Pre:5 Beast: OFF
Master:4 Pre:8 Beast: OFF
Master:4 Pre:10 Beast: OFF
Master:8 Pre:8 Beast: OFF

beast-circuit ON 2203kk (even the lowest setting (0) gives a slight boost)

Master:4 Pre:5 Beast: 0
Master:4 Pre:5 Beast: 5
Master:4 Pre:5 Beast: 10
Master:4 Pre:8 Beast: 2
Master:4 Pre:10 Beast: 10
Master:8 Pre:8 Beast: 2
Master:8 Pre:8 Beast: 10
Master:8 Pre:10 Beast: 10

beast on 0 sounds best to my ears, although it does sound very good without the beast at all.

I think you might be driving the front-end a little too hard though with the level all the way up, it sounds a bit "strained". All a matter of taste though

It's obviously one hell of an amp

At least for rhythms, I think I actually prefer without the beast turned on, or at least turned on and set to 0. Love this tone though.

what i dont get is how the KK head is summat like £750, the 2203 reissue is just over £1k :-S

My local dealer was gonna give the the 2203 reissue for £800, so you might find you can get a pretty decent price for one if you haggle.
Though he also told me Marshall are doing some kind of price setting thing from now on so all dealers are selling at the same price???

NOW I see how zeuss got this incredible guitar sound on the Terror - the damned the shamed...

Great amp, I was never that interested in marshall after my first transistor amp:)

NOW I see how zeuss got this incredible guitar sound on the Terror - the damned the shamed...

guess I gotta give that one a listen.

just binned the DR tracks from the mix I'm working on atm and reamped through the 2203 (master and pre on 7, boost on zero).
two tracks of passive pups into krank with sm57 and two tracks of emg into 2203 with m201...now THAT is a unique sound ;)

I actually like best the clips with Beast off, and Pre at 8 with Master at 4, love that one! Great sounding amp, damn!

it's cool for some styles but a bit too thin for metal imo...
but just a matter of taste and setting it's being used in.
this amp definitely kicks ass!

EDIT: listening back again I don't know whether I prefer master on 8 or master on 4...both cool.
what does everyone think?

I wanted one of those soooo bad.... then I A/B'ed it with the JVM. ;)

But I couldn't really crank it like a 2203 should be cranked...

I'm not too impressed by the clips with beast on. But I guess it would have a lot better effect if you weren't using a boost in front of it already.

I really dig the first clip for a punk rock guitar sound, perhaps with the master a bit higher (it gets a nice low mid growl when cranked:))
Overall it sounds like a good marshall should, bright, ringy, open and in your face!

edit: for more high gain stuff I like this one most: Master:8 Pre:8 Beast: 2