Mayhem - Freezing Moon (in B)

Dec 28, 2005
well guys, I'm just doing this to test the waters on tone-ism...

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1186608/FMCut.mp3

thats a sample clip I did of a cover I'm working on of Freezing Moon, tuned to B.

Drums are Superior Drummer 2 with a slightly modified version of the "Superior Full Kit 5" settings someone on this forum made.

Bass was my Ibanez GSR200 -> Firebox (no preamp gain) -> AmpegSVX with a SVT4-Pro tone modeled after the settings Alex Webster showed on the "Evisceration Plague" DVD -> "A8x10_57_A107.wav" impulse in one keFIR and "A8x10_4033_A107.wav" impulse in another instance. For the dirty tone during the interlude/solo I used that same setup, with TSS on it (drive/level @ 10, tone @ 0)

Left guitar was my Microfrets Baritone (30" scale tuned to B) -> Firebox (again, no preamp gain) -> TSS (0/10/10) -> Wagner Sharp MkII (6/3/6 B/M/T, Gain @ 10, Preamp @ 5, Master @ 3) -> s-preshigh Awesometime impulse in keFIR

Right guitar was my Microfrets Baritone -> Firebox (no preamp gain) -> TSS (0/10/6.3) -> SoloC on OD Channel (OD @ 5, Contour @ 7.5, Bass @ 7, Mid @ 4, High @ 7, Master @ 9) -> keFIR s-preshigh.

Solo guitar on the right in the second part is Amplitube X-GEAR - Let Me Solo preset with the cabs turned off, keFIR to s-preshigh.

Master has L2 Full Reset setting on it, and it was turned down to -10.1. I believe it peaks at around -9.

I'm aware that the mix pumps and some parts aren't played that tight, but this is basically the first time I've ever had the chance to do a halfway decent recording.

any opinion on the actual tones, though? too scooped, too brittle, too much gain?
mixing isn't exactly my forte, I just slapped L2 on it as I just started this whole recording deal. when it's finished I'll probably post the files up on here and see what people can do with it