24/08/03 - MetalFest Vienna - A Review

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Date: August 24th, 2003 (2nd day of the festival)
Crowd: ~4000
Other Bands (same day): God Dethroned, Finntroll, Within Temptation, Napalm Death, Saxon, ...
Other Bands (1st day): Amon Amarth, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Blind Guardian, ...

As this has been my 3rd In Flames show I was really looking forward to it.
I got to meet Anders as he was watching many shows on the side of the crowd. He gave me an autograph (I already had one of him...) though he didn't seem to care a lot about it...
Throughout the whole event the sound was really good, but when In Flames started it really messed up IHMO. I have been standing in the 2nd row at first but soon went back because I wasn't able to hear anything because of the bad sound. It was a little better at the end of the mosh pit.
Unfortunetaly I have to admit, that I liked the show a lot more when the were on their Retour To Remain last year. There was a lot more power behind the whole thing in October 2002 if you ask me. That's a pity. :(
Nevertheless the crowd was going with the band as much as you can imagine! Only For The Weak hit the top with 3 quarters of the crowd jumping! Even I was jumping and I prever headbanging normaly! That was amazing!
The pyro-show was also amazing! I saw Metallica a week ago and they had a pyro-show with them too. The one In Flames had yesterday was nearly as good as that of Metallica! This means kinda much!!
The Setlist was a bit to "rerouted" for me but make up your mind and tell me what you think:

Cloud Connected
Clayman
System
Watch Them Feed
Episode 666
Bullet Ride
Drifter
Behind Space
Trigger
Gyroscope
Pinball Map
Colony

I am not sure if the setlist is complete and the order is right... Please correct me if you know better!
Any comments on the show or the statements made in my review are welcome!

grtz, Head

This board is too slow... I responded to every thread on the first page to try to get some discussio then there are seven posts over a day....

Steve420 said:
This board is too slow... I responded to every thread on the first page to try to get some discussio then there are seven posts over a day....

Yeah, that's true!
Unfortunetaly there's a lot of posts that are about the same topic and those keep starting over and over again... :erk:

M4dness said:
the show was great! but i missed some songs from the jester race :(
it was the second in flames show that i saw (first in october 2002)

Yeah, finally some response from someone whos been to the concert!
As I said, there were really to much songs of R2R though I like them!
Have you been on the left side of the stage next to the exit of the indoor stage?

They should do a nostalgia tour wit honly songs from 1997 and before
so they'll play a set like this (mix the order up though)

Graveland (opener)
Clad In Shadows
Upon an Oaken Throne
Moonshield
The Jester Race
Gyroscope
Jotun
Behind Space
December Flower
Everdying
Biosphere
Everlost I & II
Artifacts of the Black Rain
Dead Eternity
Food For the Gods
Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
Dialogue With the Stars
Episode 666

the nagain, this'll never happen

DragonLady1 said:
oke, just saw that there is already a topic about that show here, sorryyy ;) I opened a new one ;) was a greaaat show btw!

Meiner Meinung nach die beste Show beim Metalfest, da waren einfach die meisten Leute dabei!!

Die Setlist:
cloud connected
clayman
watch them feed
episode 666
system
bullet ride
reroute to remain
gyroscope
only for the weak
drifter
trigger
behind space
pinball map
colony

Super Fotos hast du gemacht (auch von den anderen Bands)! Hast du vielleicht eine Liste aller Seiten auf denen Fotos veröffentlicht worden sind oder sowas ähnliches?