24 Fret Ibanez S Series

I don't know, it does look ridiculously nice.

Does Ibanez have a custom shop like Jackson and ESP do, where you can order your own axe built to ones' own specs? That's one way to get a 24-fret S-Series, but other than that, I don't think they have any.

As far as I know, it was/is the only 24 fret s series in existence. Since ibanez doesn't have a custom shop that is open to the public (at least not at the present) we probably wont see another any time soon. I don't think they'd make a standard production model, but Herman Li posted over on jemsite once saying that if he were to have a custom gutar built for him it would be a 24 fret S-series guitar. That'd be pretty cool and not entirely out of the question since DF has been getting pretty well-known lately.

Yeah, I think Dragonforce would be much more respected if Herman Li and Sam Totman cleaned up their act. Like Sam drinks a LOT, which effects his playing. People think Dragonforce cannot play shit. So I think they need to take a little break and have their technique cleaned up. Also, I was reading on the Ibanez forum, someone said that mick thomson from slipknot has a 24 fret S.

Yeah, I think Dragonforce would be much more respected if Herman Li and Sam Totman cleaned up their act. Like Sam drinks a LOT, which effects his playing. People think Dragonforce cannot play shit. So I think they need to take a little break and have their technique cleaned up. Also, I was reading on the Ibanez forum, someone said that mick thomson from slipknot has a 24 fret S.

Well, regardless of their playing ability (I'm not a DF fan myself), I think it'd be cool if they made a Herman Li 24 fret S signature model. Ibanez does seem to be expressing more interest in the S series recently so we might as well keep our fingers crossed.

I'd never heard of mick having one.....did anyone over there happen to have pics?

They also said something very important. They said if Ibanez did make a production 24 fret S Series, it would baisically eat away the RG. So I guess becoming an endorsee is the only way.

I think that might be true to an extent, but I also think there would still be enough differences to keep the markets separate. It seemed to me that the RGA series was an attempt to bridge the gap between the two, and those have been pretty successful, so maybe we'll even see a trem equipped RGA, which wouldn't be all that far off from a 24 fret S. And either way, I'm sure Ibanez could give a shit less if RG players were to jump over to the S series because they still sell guitars either way.

So say I got sponsored by Ibanez, could I ask them to make me a 24 fret S Series? Or would I have to be a player of the same calibur as Vai, Satch, etc? btw, RGA = my next guitar!
I love the arch top feel.

So say I got sponsored by Ibanez, could I ask them to make me a 24 fret S Series? Or would I have to be a player of the same calibur as Vai, Satch, etc? btw, RGA = my next guitar!
I love the arch top feel.

Ibanez (last i heard at least) has different levels of endorsement deals. The guys at the bottom of the barrel basically just get stock models (but at least it's for free). They can get upgraded pickups, different finishes, and little things like that but not full custom jobs. I'm sure their stuff gets more attention to detail than something coming right off the shelf too. Guys on the higher end of things (like vai and satch) pretty much get whatever they want when they want it.

The RGA's are great, I've considered them a few times but I'm pretty set on an EBMM now.

I recently attended a Dragonforce concert and I could not believe my eyes to what Herman was playing, A 24 FRET S SERIES! I met him and talked to him after the show and he said he got it custom made and he is getting another one in a couple weeks. He even said there might be a production model in about 6 months! (Although he might have been kidding)

I recently attended a Dragonforce concert and I could not believe my eyes to what Herman was playing, A 24 FRET S SERIES! I met him and talked to him after the show and he said he got it custom made and he is getting another one in a couple weeks. He even said there might be a production model in about 6 months! (Although he might have been kidding)

I hope he wasn't kidding.....It's not that much of stretch really

Actually Ibanez made Custom 24 fret S series guitars from 87 to 89, you had the option of the S or the S custom. THEY ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND!!

Other features that were available at that time were H - S - H configuration, S - S - H Configuration, Reverse Headstock on the Custom.

Good luck finding them.

Ibanez (last i heard at least) has different levels of endorsement deals. The guys at the bottom of the barrel basically just get stock models (but at least it's for free). They can get upgraded pickups, different finishes, and little things like that but not full custom jobs. I'm sure their stuff gets more attention to detail than something coming right off the shelf too. Guys on the higher end of things (like vai and satch) pretty much get whatever they want when they want it.

The RGA's are great, I've considered them a few times but I'm pretty set on an EBMM now.

This is pretty much how it is except on the LOW LOW end, you dont even get to choose pickups. I was an Ibanez Endorsee from 89 to 92 and never got past their 2nd level of endorsement deals.

Ibanez is HUGE on the Guitar Clinic thing. It was their major form of promotion in the late 80s early 90s.

Their levels were as follows:
1st - 2 Free guitars, 75% discount off retail
2nd - All guitars free, have to do clinic tours
3rd - Access to custom shop everything within the current ibanez line can be customized
4th - Free regin over the custom shop (Satch, Vai, Gilbert) have this.

Shawn and John Petrucci were level 3

Well, regardless of their playing ability (I'm not a DF fan myself), I think it'd be cool if they made a Herman Li 24 fret S signature model. Ibanez does seem to be expressing more interest in the S series recently so we might as well keep our fingers crossed.

I'd never heard of mick having one.....did anyone over there happen to have pics?

Ibanez has been getting hammered for over 10 years with requests for something done on the S series guitars. Their big 1st move was with the 3 years they did the 24 fret models. It met with HUGE success although RG sales diminished.

From there they did the 7 string version in the mid 90s and again sales increased in leaps and bounds, Sales on the Ibanez Univerze virtually were non existant and the RG7 sales dropped in a big way.

RG models are cheaper for Ibanez to make cause of the Basswood body vs the Mahogany found in the S series.

When ibanez saw diminishing sales due to their quality lacking from 94 to 2005 the S series wasnt practical for them to push cause it cost them more to build and it was difficult for them to compete with other guitar manufacturers as far as price was concerned.

Schecter and LTD almost killed ibanez dead in the mid to late 90s, they were making MUCH higher quality instruments for the same price. If you look at the late90s to early 2000's they didnt really have any major names on the METAL end of things.

Satch, Vai, Gilbert, and Petrucci arent very "METAL" and pertrucci was the closest thing they had till he jumped ship for EBMM.

They have actually come close to losing Vai AND Satch more than once.

Recently ibanez has really stepped things up. Their guitars are starting to reach the quality standards they had in the late 80s when they were at their peak.

I think that Ibanez are realizing that they can't just sell the guitars they think that will sell and are finally listening to the fans and that will definitely get them some more ground. Check out how fast those rg20ths sold out! And I'm sure this new 24 fret S is going to make them lots of money. They just need to realize what the fans really want and come out with those guitars. Not everyone wants a black guitar lol. Ibanez guitars feel amazing, they just have to be appealing to people.