(2x) RME ADI-8 DS vs Lynx Aurora 16

Ouroboros

Amateur Audio Engineer
Mar 26, 2008
Toronto
Since I've decided to invest in a good AD/DA converter, I am curious as to how these two devices compare. Getting a pair of ADI-8's is $1000 more than the Lynx Aurora 16, so that right there is almost enough to push me towards settling on an Aurora. But, are the RME's any better? Can they be interfaced via firewire? The LSlot firewire expansion for the Aurora is another $300, but well worth it, from what I've heard about this device. My profs mastering engineer has apparently done a converter shootout, and decided on the Aurora 16, but I don't think any RME devices were compared, just Cranesong and Apogee.

Any help would be appreciated.

Worry more about mic technique & how to set your amps up than converters. I've heard some absolutely stunning work done through the lowly Berhinger ADA8000. As for RME's... they're great. I really like mine, anyway.

Now I realize not everyone is going to agree with that statement, and that's fine. But great converters are no substitute for great engineering technique.

-0z-

Of course, that takes precedent over anything in the chain. I would go even further and say that good recordings not only come from good placement, but also good musicians, nice sounding rooms, and well tuned and maintained instruments.

I am currently a student in an audio recording program, and I have already done some sessions, so I have more than a basic understanding of gear, engineering technique, and production method. Thanks for your advice anyway, I respect a lot of the opinions floating around here.

But, I am getting serious about becoming a mixing and a mastering engineer, and after treating a room, I want to spend the money on gear that is of high fidelity, craftsmanship and reliability.

One you go past a certain price point, the differences will be very, very slight. ...and then you'll pay through the nose for minuscule improvements.

What school are you at? I'm a Sheridan grad, myself.

Since I've decided to invest in a good AD/DA converter, I am curious as to how these two devices compare. Getting a pair of ADI-8's is $1000 more than the Lynx Aurora 16, so that right there is almost enough to push me towards settling on an Aurora. But, are the RME's any better? Can they be interfaced via firewire? The LSlot firewire expansion for the Aurora is another $300, but well worth it, from what I've heard about this device. My profs mastering engineer has apparently done a converter shootout, and decided on the Aurora 16, but I don't think any RME devices were compared, just Cranesong and Apogee.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using a Lynx Aurora 8 converter and love it. Big upgrade from the converters in my Digi 002R. Another plus is that the Aurora has great analog components in it which allows you to clip the converters for a few extra dBs during mastering w/out it sounding like crap.

I don't have any experience with the RME converters you are also looking at.

What school are you at? I'm a Sheridan grad, myself.

Private college called TARA. Short program, but it has been packed full of useful and practical information. Their facilities are nice as well, but, I've learned how to troubleshoot a lot of different problems, since everything isn't in perfect condition.