2x12 Cab Question

deckrg

Jun 30, 2010
Portugal
So I just ordered a 5150iii 50w and I'm now searching for a 212 cab for it. I want to record/gig with it so I've narrowed my options to a Marshall 1936V or paying an extra 150€ for an Orange PPC212, I really need some feedback.

http://www.zillacabs.com/ You can customize the tolex, grill cloth, piping and speakers and they also offer options for removable grill cloth and removable back piece, so that you can change it from being closed back to open back.

Really depends on what you prefer. The "standard" around here seems to be 5150 into Mesa cab. I've heard nothing but good things about Mesa 2x12's. Pretty sure Orange is V30s as well, but the Marshall is G12 if I'm not mistaken, which will sound a lot different from a V30.

They are G12 Vintage 70w, but from what I've heard they are the marshall's v30's (don't really know how close they sound).

The Marshall 1936's have Celestion G12T-75's and they are not at all the same as V30's, they are quite scooped and have a sharper high end that some people really dislike. The Mesa Rectifier 2x12 and the Orange PPC212 both have V30's in them but they will both sound different due to the construction of the cab itself and the fact that mesa has their V30's specially made for them with a slightly different voicing. Also, keep in mind that not all mesa cabs have V30's, some have C90's which are a completely different sounding speaker.

Another option would be the EVH 2x12, they are a little more affordable (around here anyways) than the mesa and orange and they supposedly sound really good paired with the 5150. They have G12H's which are yet another type of sound.

I know this is probably not the answer your looking for but, seeing that you don't really know the difference between the speakers, i say the best thing you can do is go to your local store and try them out. I would suggest getting familiar with the different type of speakers first before committing to a purchase, blindly purchasing could lead to unpleasant results (For example: Purchase the 1936 and then realize a few months later that you actually hate G12T-75's). Even if you use a different head just swapping from cab to cab should give you a good idea of how different they sound and you should be able to pick which one has the character that you prefer the most.

That said, if you just want to go the "safe and default" route, just grab a Mesa Rectifier cab and at least you know you have an industry standard combination.

I already have G12T-75's on my marshall amp, and I'm looking for a different option for sure. However the Marshall cab is 1936V (not the 1936 with g12-75) and is using Celestion G12 Vintage Speakers 70w (the so called "marshall's v30's").
As far as price goes from cheaper to most expensive Marshall 1936v >>> ENGL Pro Cabinet E212VH > Orange PPC 212 (the mesas are just way too expensive), being the Engl (+-50€) cheaper than the Orange.

My main issue is I can't try the cab's in a store near me (actually not even in 400km), so I'll really need some help... does the orange sound much different from the Engl ? Is Harley Benton (the 220€ cab from thomann) a good solution or just a temporary one ?

I already have G12T-75's on my marshall amp, and I'm looking for a different option for sure. However the Marshall cab is 1936V (not the 1936 with g12-75) and is using Celestion G12 Vintage Speakers 70w (the so called "marshall's v30's").
As far as price goes from cheaper to most expensive Marshall 1936v >>> ENGL Pro Cabinet E212VH > Orange PPC 212 (the mesas are just way too expensive), being the Engl (+-50€) cheaper than the Orange.

My main issue is I can't try the cab's in a store near me (actually not even in 400km), so I'll really need some help... does the orange sound much different from the Engl ? Is Harley Benton (the 220€ cab from thomann) a good solution or just a temporary one ?

I've read on here that the Harley Benton cabs are not too well-liked for the most part but I can't comment - never owned one or any of the others you mentioned. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Marshall, Orange or ENGL.

But since you just bought a 5150, EVH used or still uses not sure, 20W/25W Greenbacks. I would say get a cab and mix speakers within the cab. Don't get 2 of the same if you are looking for a different flavour. That's what I do with mine - a G12M UK Greenback with a UK V30. Sounds awesome! :headbang:

Tried a Orange 2x12 recently, didn't like it. Had a "boxy" characteristic in its midrange.