2x12 cabs that record well

Brandon E.

May 9, 2007
NJ USA
Want something a little more portable than my 4x12s. Not sure if theres a huge difference in sound between 2x12 and 4x12. What would you get? Are there any 2x12s that will sound as good as my mesa oversized? :saint:

So far I'm looking at avatar contemporary 2x12, orange ppc212, and the harley benton 2x12 because its so cheap. I've heard that its best to get an oversized 2x12 though like the bogner one because they have more wood to them. What do you think?

Wasn't a fan of the Bogner Oversized 2x12, a bit fizzy; honestly, the best 2x12 clips I've heard have been of the Mesa Recto 2x12! (but if you already have a Recto 4x12, why bother? :D)

Yeah, in the used market they're hardly cheaper than the recto 4x12s which really makes it feel like wasting money buying one haha, but if they sound better than the rest...well

I have a Mesa Boogie Recto 2x12 and I think it records fine.
I would love to hear a comparison of the 2x12 and the 4x12 using the same amp and mic and the same DI.
I have a 6505 and a dual rec and a SM57, does anyone have the same so we can do a comparison test ?

i agree with gabriel man...i did a lot of searching before i bought mine, and i ended up buying the orange ppc212

it's tight, punchy and a little dark sounding (which i like)
i heard tons of crap on forums about the mesa one, that's why i didn't get it.

Plus my Orange is White! haha :lol: