3 fingers holding a pick...is that normal???

demondeath

Metal
Sep 10, 2002
Philippines
Visit site
I've been playing the guitar now for two years and I just realized that the proper way to hold a pick is with 2 fingers...I hold mine with 3. Is that normal or should I really change it??? Im used to it though..but still it feels weird...just a lil tip.....

The proper way is however it is most comfortable for you to play it. If it's with three fingers, fine, 2, that's okay too.

Just as there is no "right" or "wrong" brand, thickness or style of pick, it's what you like and can do that is most important.

I agree totally. If it works for you, why change it?

I hold the pick with my thumb and my index finger (always did), because I feel it's the most flexible way for me to hold it. This lets me position the pick in very different angles if I'd need to.

I've noticed one odd thing I do with my picking hand though:
Instead of extending my three remaining fingers down (like other guitarists do), I keep the last two joints rolled up into something that looks like a "leopard fist" (or half closed fist if you like). I haven't seen many other people do that. At one point, I tried to weane myself off of it, but it just messed my picking up, so I went back to the "fist style". =) Works for me.

Without even having a guitar pick on me, I can't even remember how I hold one. lol.

I think I only use two finger... but I'm not sure. It probably doesn't help that I'm a bass player and don't use a pick anyway. :p I hardly play guitar anymore.

I also used to grab the pick with 3 fingers, but once I realized that holding it with the index and thumb, I increased my speed as I only focused on shaking faster, instead of putting extra strength to hold the pick

...as does Mr Hetfield (well, at least he used to back when I gave a damn).

eddie van halen plays with his thumb and middle finger

freak
:lol:
Hmm...wait, doesn't he do a lot of tapping? That could be a reason.

I rarely resort to tapping but when I do, I tap using my middle finger. That way I don't have to fiddle with the pick to get it out of the way.

Axe Shredder Paul Gilbert use to hold his pick with 3 fingers but then later switched over to just using his thumb & index finger after watching footage of Yngwie Malmsteen's picking technique!

And Yes indeed, James Hetfield does hold the pick with 3 fingers!

Whatever works for you is all that matters though in the long run!