how you hold your pick

serenesorrow

Asian Woman
Jan 19, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I've been playing guitar for a bit over a year now and I've been holding the pick between thumb and index finger.
Coming up at school is our music performance where me and some other people are going to play Master of Puppets. I have heard that Hetfield plays using thumb, index and middle finger on the pick. I have tried doing this and it makes the riffs decidedly a lot easier and i can play it a lot faster. I was wondering if this is a good technique or if i should just practice more and more with using just the thumb and index finger. How do you hold your pick?

I remember reading in one of Displacer's guitar e-mail instruction thingys that he used the thumb/forefinger/middle finger approach for slower stuff, but switched to just thumb/ff approach for tremolo picking and other faster stuff. Apparently he was a decent guitarist too.

I play exclusively using thumb/ff with the ff bent all the way at the second joint, counting from the tip, keeping the pick between the side of the tip of my ff and the pad of the thumb. I've never been tutored, so this is just what comes naturally to me.

i've always played with: thumb, ff, and middle finger. i've never had a lesson, that's just what came naturally. it definitely helped mold my playing style. maybe it's why i don't "shred" a lot. :)

I hold it between my ff and thumb. The skin the other side of the nail for both thumb and ff...I generally hold it with little pressure...

I generally use my thumb and forefinger when I play guitar...when I play though, I use my thumb, fore and middle finger, and generally use thick jazz (large) picks...although I use the same technique with average sized picks...I just find it gives me a bit more power behind my picking and helps me play faster...it may not do the same for you.

Thumb and index finger...

Held loosely for fast tremolo picking and sweeps, and tightly for either down or up picking as well as alternate.

Just think about it for a second....

What's most efficient for you? Think in terms of physics and your own personal physiology. Basically, find a way that minimizes excess motion and is reasonably comfortable for you and stick to that method. Practice, practice, practice and if you feel anything hurting, STOP immediately and rest. Practice with a metronome and gradually work up your speed playing each individual riff, lick, or part.

That's an oversimplified way of gathering picking technique but if you listen to your body and don't overexert yourself, you should be well on your way to speed, chops and whathaveyou.

I generally hold my pick between my thumb & first finger. I've tried a few different ways of holding it, but I keep coming back to between t & ff. I find myself anchoring my ring finger (if playing lower strings) against the guitar (like a kickstand) just under the high e string (muting it). If I'm playing a lick on the higher strings, I use my pinky finger as the kickstand. I've found that using the
"kickstand" technique allows easier string muting/muffling and makes alternate picking, string skipping, and sweep picking ALOT easier and faster, because with the kickstand technique you're almost not using your elbow at all. Instead it creates a natural "rock back & forth" motion with your wrist. For faster picking like that, I like using a real hard pick---'bout a 1.5mm. Use the LEAST amount of the pick as possible-----just the very tip (a very sharp pointed edge helps) & you'll find that you'll glide back & forth very easily.

I dont need to hold the pick following others, be on your own and just stop imitating others techniques. be yourself and keep trying. i sometimes play with the pick between my pinky finger (smallest finger) and thumb, or alternately with the pick between my index and ring finger, or any combination of fingers (excluding the thumb) its pretty easy. you should try it out too...hope it helps

I find alternate grips of the pick uncomfortable, but I'm set in my ways. If you like it, and it helps you play faster, then do it.