I think I've developed a very bad picking habit

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I began to really take notice of this the other day when I started learning "Knuckleduster" by COB. It's occured to me that whenever I have to alternate pick something fairly fast, I change the position of my index finger holding the pick.

Normally I would hold it at an angle between the side of my finger and the back "where the finger print is" but leaning a lot more towards the finger print part.

But when I have to play something like I mentioned earlier, my finger moves so that I'm using the side of it and only the side. I find this gives me better speed and accuracy for alternate picking notes, but when I go back to riffing I absolutly can not use it because it feels akward and uncontrolable "and vice versa".

Note that when alternate strumming I dont do this side of finger thing, only alternate picking.

Normally this wouldnt be a problem. When its time to switch I switch, but in a song like the one i mentioned earlier i have to integrate those notes into the riff with no time to switch back and forth.

So basically I'd like any advice at all. Is there a certain way I should be doing this and only that way? Sorry for the long post. What really worries me is I've been playing 2 years.

MetalMessiah9999 said:
So basically I'd like any advice at all. Is there a certain way I should be doing this and only that way? Sorry for the long post. What really worries me is I've been playing 2 years.

I have been playing 21 years and I do the exact same thing. I also tend to play an acoustic with a more flat angle for more volume (just as an example.) Those pick shifts are merely part of the technique of playing and it doesn't show poor picking technique at all, but rather an unconscious effort of getting the best sound/control due to altering your technique as the passage requires. You are doing things right, not wrong.

Bryant