Alternate Picking question: how strict should I be on this part ?

caike

New Metal Member
Aug 30, 2006
Florida, USA
I'm trying to learn this part from "I'm Awake" by Intervals but I'm not sure I'm using the most efficient picking direction for this one specific note (see image attached).

The note in question (14th fret on the G string) comes right after a slide on the string above (14 / 16). You can hear it ~0:47 into the song.

The slide up is performed with a down stroke. Then, my brain wants to naturally hit the next note with a down stroke as well, which would "break" the alternate picking sequence. I'm not sure if I should just go with it or train myself to hit that note with an upstroke so I can strictly follow alternate picking all the way through the end.

Thoughts ?

Attachments

• 1__I_m_Awake_GP.jpg
    1__I_m_Awake_GP.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
This doesn't look like alternate picking. This looks like sweeping with a lot of ho's and po's. pick the descending part with all up-strokes and then come back up (down? you know what I mean).

disclaimer: no guitar at hand right at the moment.

edit: I see youtube vidoes of people playing this and they aren't sweeping it, but they are only picking the first note on each string, making the picking slow enough to do however is most comfortable. Probably doesn't answer your question, but it's definitely no just alternate picking.

Last edited: