Alternate or economic picking ?

Sympozium said:
Alternate picking enables you to play much faster, and it sounds much better than all downpicking in most situations. Some riffs sounds better with downpicking.

I asked my guitar teacher on that matter, and he said, economy picking is way faster. He taught me to use economy picking... but then he's not a learned teacher. I guess that's the way that works best for him. Maybe doesn't work best for learning guitar?

It sounds a little different, economy more *legato* and alternate more *staccato*, so I guess the decision should be based on what suits the song best.

Alternate Picking rules !
I see no difficulties in playing licks, scales of CoB with alternate picking. Of course in arpegios, sweep picking is way better ..
I guess I play alternate picking coz there's no need to think about your right hand and just concentrate on the left hand ..With economic u have to think before playing of the picking, there ..down, and there ... up .. too dumb !

Midnightblueshade said:
I asked my guitar teacher on that matter, and he said, economy picking is way faster. He taught me to use economy picking... but then he's not a learned teacher. I guess that's the way that works best for him. Maybe doesn't work best for learning guitar?

It sounds a little different, economy more *legato* and alternate more *staccato*, so I guess the decision should be based on what suits the song best.
Read my post...I wasnt refering to economy picking at all. I was saying that alternate picking is much faster than constant downpicking.

Again it all matters on the type of sound you want. if the sound you are after is the hard sharp downpicking motion then obviously that is the best technique to use.

i do alternate when going from low to igh note and economy from high to low! i started out with economy but i had a hard time going to a high note so i learned alternate after watching an yngwie movie.. i think it's better causa the playing gets more accurate i think.. but i dont do it in some riffs and so on!