Using a pick and thumb at the same time

MetalHeadMarc

Dark Lord of the Sith
Sep 7, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site
Is there a technique for using your guitar pick and managing to thumb some notes too. I'm sure Mike from opeth use it. I think Eric Johson uses the same technique. Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about, and if so, please talk more about it because I'm trying to work it in to my playing.

I can do it....but I couldn't really tell you how, it's just a result of me not knowing any technique whatsoever, just the way I play guitar basically.

Well......I'm not sure about what Mikael from Opeth uses, I don't incorporate that into my playing.

One method of using it is what's called "chickin pickin," and it's used in country. I imagine they're similar. How I would basically say is just to hold your pick between your thumb and index finger, and then use your middle finger to pluck a higher string. So I imagine for Opeth type playing you could just use your middle, ring, and possibly pinky fingers while picking with thumb and index. Play around with it and figure out what is most comfortable for you.

No offense, but aside from BP's post.... stop acting like children. Pumpkin is absolutely right about the country style. Bluegrass players are probably the best in the world at picking technique. Bluegrass is to country what prog is to rock or prog-metal is to metal. Many Bluegrass players (certainly not the majority though) are minimalists when it comes to chords. Open chords (as opposed to barred) on acoustic sound very strong so many bluegrass players show their virtuosity by their picking technique.
Combinations of pick and finger are very common in bluegrass as is the use of multiple picks. Many banjo players use picks on all fingers in fact. Does that translate into metal ? Absolutely !! Most metal bands just haven't adopted the style but some have.

Bryant

i don't know about thumbing stuff and using a pick....would you have to hold the pick with your middle and pointer fingers? maybe you mean, hold the pick between your thumb and pointer...and then pick with the other fingers...i know someone who does that....he is possibly one the the best guitarists i have ever heard...and he's like 18 yrs old.

and no, mike doesn't use a pick when he uses his fingers to pick...he does do some pretty fast arpeggio stuff with a pick though...but he never uses a pick and his fingers at the same time.

I pick the root note of a chord with my pick and use my ring, middle, and fingers to pick out the other notes, and I have a few banjo rolls I do when Im playing blues based stuff. I can play the solo to "space truckin" by deep purple and it has some blues string skipping and I play the notes on the upper strings with my middler and ring finger. Im sure that makes no sense but thats what it is man.

It is nothing strange or unusual, I guess that George Lynch of Dokken and Lynch Mob was first guy I have heard that is using his pick and the rest of his fingers for playing riff.
You can get chopped sound with that, or play notes that are on non-adjacent strings at the same time. As other have already said, quite usual technique in country music.