the pick

Class of '85 said:
So, you can't actually tell a difference between all the various picks out there?. I was able to feel things such as drag, release, gripability, and general comfort as it relates to the size of the pick. The biggest factor was the bevel on the edge of the Dunlop Delrin 1.5mm, it just glides more smoothly over the strings. The material that is used plays a large role in this.
well yeah i can tell the difference, i guess i just don't mind them so much since i've been forced to use whatever was at hand.

SHELLCL1.gif

I use the medium ones... I tend to melt them when playing excessively fast but I really like the feel of rosin picks for some reason, and haven't broken a string since I started using em.

I use a Jim Dunlop 2.0 mm Big Stubby...I like the fact that it has the round thumb indentation which helps me keep it in place when my hands get a little sweaty. I tried these out on a whim after seeing the G3 concert and diving on stage to grab one of Satch's picks. He uses the 3.0mm Big Stubby which is way too think for me - but i liked the shape and feel, so I ordered 6 of the 1.0mm and 6 of the 2.0mm and tried them out. The 1.0mm ones are WAY to flimsy - but the 2.0mm ones are perfect...I'll stick with these until they stop making them...

I used Stubbies for a few years, but got tired of the *click click* sound eventually. I actually get all reminiscent when I see those though, they were the first picks I used way back when I first started playing. :D

tortex .73 (yellow) ONLY! i cant play with anything else. hence i always have a pick in my pocket
~gR~

I really have a hard time using anything other than the purple tortexes (both because of their thickness and the fact that everything else slips around like crazy in my obscenely sweaty fingers), though I have one single fender medium that I use for the occasional strummed section. Also, a friend of mine was given this behemoth 2 mm standard pick (I can't even fathom a 3 mm one that people have mentioned on here, but maybe only those obnoxious stubbys come in those sizes) and I love the feel of that.

Class of '85 said:
So, you can't actually tell a difference between all the various picks out there?. I was able to feel things such as drag, release, gripability, and general comfort as it relates to the size of the pick. The biggest factor was the bevel on the edge of the Dunlop Delrin 1.5mm, it just glides more smoothly over the strings. The material that is used plays a large role in this.

Ha ha ha that is amazing. I could play with a quarter if I filed it down to a rounded point like a "Fender style" pick. I prefer to have a little flex as that is what I am used to with mediums and heavies as opposed to a rigid piece of metal. Then again, from a purely technical standpoint, I am not at an elite level. I was reaching that plateau at one point in the early 90's but lost interest toward more of a "spiritual" sound ala Gilmour, Hoffmann etc. and changed my focus.
Although I am old as dirt, I am always open to new ideas and will try different things (ala my GNX4,) but I think the manufacturers got the pick right a long time ago. I could cut up a milk jug and make music, but I have yet to find a pick more comfortable and versatile than your basic teardrop "Fender style" pick.

Bryant

Bryant: thats what I use, too. and so far I havent found something I like better (except that I scratch the surface of the fenders so I have more grip)

though quite some people have called me mad for playing such tiny picks (I use the small ones).... oh well.... people also keep calling me mad for playing a set of 13s strings in D-standard tuning, so........ I dont care ;)