Another Picks Thread

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Ok, so I usually use Dunlop Tortex 1.0 mm picks. You know - the regular-shaped blue ones. When they're new, they rule. They have just enough sharpness at the tip to get a nice feel and pick attack on the strings. The problem for me is as soon as they wear down even a little bit (like after a couple playing sessiosn even), the pick doesn't feel so good anymore. It's harder (for me) to shred. The magic of the new Dunlop Tortex is lost :lol:

So I decided to try the Dunlop Tortex Sharp picks (.88 mm because they didn't have 1.0 mm), because it seemed to me like it would feel like a new Dunlop Tortex for a really long time since it has the really sharp end. Well, I was pretty much right. The grip on the strings is totally there, and it rules. But these picks really sound different than the regular Tortex picks. I'm hearing a thinner tone. With the increased grip/control of the strings, I'm hearing less bass. Am I crazy? Or could the tone difference be because I'm using .88 mm instead of 1.0 mm?

What picks is everyone using to get good tone with good control/ease of play?

I really need a sharp/pointy pick for my ease of play, but I prefer the thicker tone of the regular Tortex.

Thanks

Am I crazy? Or could the tone difference be because I'm using .88 mm instead of 1.0 mm?

Not crazy, my guess is the difference in tone is a result of the change of thickness and shape of the pick.

The Jazz III shape is very popular, in original red, black, and the pitch black Tortex versions:headbang:...caution, much fun, experimentation and option anxiety ahead as you go down this road grasshopper...:)

Pickboy carbon nylon 1.0 mm.
Great sharp attack and nice to hold because of the weedleaf inlay.
Only problem... exactly like you described, the tip wears down quickly and thus they lose big degrees of awesomeness. :(

white tortex sharp picks over here....what's that, 1.5mm or something.
kinda weird when they are new, but once they are slightly broken in they rock imho. i pick really fuckin hard, so i just can't stand anything thinner than at least 1mm. the thicker the better.

i used to use the regular shaped ones but also found that once they are broken in you don't get as much attack and control.
the tradeoff indeed is a slightly thinner/edgier sound with the sharp ones.

Pickboy carbon nylon 1.0 mm.
Great sharp attack and nice to hold because of the weedleaf inlay.
Only problem... exactly like you described, the tip wears down quickly and thus they lose big degrees of awesomeness. :(

I love the Pickboy's, just can't get my hands on any of the 1.14mm ones. 1mm is just a little too thin (given that I'm playing a 5 string bass tuned ADGCF).

Just tried the Jazz III's today. So far, digging them...

They definitely pump a little bit more low-end than the D'Andrea .88 Tortex-ish ones I was using. :D

Yeah, that's the big reason I like 'em so much honestly, they just sound much fuller than even the Tortex Pitch Black Jazzes! (which sound slightly more snappy in a not-so-good way to my ears)

white tortex sharp picks over here....what's that, 1.5mm or something.
kinda weird when they are new, but once they are slightly broken in they rock imho. i pick really fuckin hard, so i just can't stand anything thinner than at least 1mm. the thicker the better.

i used to use the regular shaped ones but also found that once they are broken in you don't get as much attack and control.
the tradeoff indeed is a slightly thinner/edgier sound with the sharp ones.

Ditto here. But, I tend to like them best as new as possible. I used regular-shaped ones until I realized that I don't pick exactly perpendicular to the string (very few people actually do), and it made little sense to me to cram 1/8" of plastic through the string every time I pick a note.