Guitar pick recommendations?

Feb 15, 2014
Louisiana
I feel like this would be the right place to post this. What do you use?

I've recently come to terms that my picking has been wrong, so I'm relearning. I'm planning on buying a Jazz III pack and seeing which one I like the best. Any recommendations? I like to play modern metal.

I never messed with changing picks because I didn't think it mattered. I stuck with what I learned to do a pinch harmonic with. Which was a Dunlop Tortex pick. I used to like the idea of a thicker pick but something made me reluctant to use them for a while. I started just using the typical yellow .73mm. I plan on trying to use the smaller (but thicker) Jazz III picks , and having a lose grip on the pick. I'm basically going to relearn guitar again with my right hand.

My recommendation, awesome picks... DUNLOP ULTEX 1.14 mm SHARP (transparent yellow ones).
I like how everyone likes Dunlop. Ever since I started using Tortex picks I loved them. And now I'm going for a more refined style I'm going the Jazz picks. I actually have two Ultex atm. But they are just regular Ultex .60mm. Not sure why I got .60mm.

I decided to go with Jazz IIIs variety pack, I'm going to go from there in choosing maybe the Ultex style or what.

I was inspired by a similar thread a few years ago and went on a quest to find the perfect pick. I ended up settling on the Eric Johnson Jazz 3's. The name being embossed on either side makes it easier to hold on to then the regular ones. I tried some max grip ones, but didn't like the feel. The ultex jazz 3's were pretty cool too, if I remember.

I had been using the Jazz III for a long time and I recently switched to the Jazz III XL. The "regular" ones were a bit too small., the XL were a clear improvement for me.

I've also tried the ULTEX Sharp mentioned above. Would probably be my 2nd choice, however I prefer the shape of the Jazz III XL. I like that they are somewhat wider, but shorter, than standard shaped picks, which is the case of the ULTEX Sharp (it has a very standard shape, it's just sharp that's all).

Reactions: Delitzsch
I had been using the Jazz III for a long time and I recently switched to the Jazz III XL. The "regular" ones were a bit too small., the XL were a clear improvement for me.

I've also tried the ULTEX Sharp mentioned above. Would probably be my 2nd choice, however I prefer the shape of the Jazz III XL. I like that they are somewhat wider, but shorter, than standard shaped picks, which is the case of the ULTEX Sharp (it has a very standard shape, it's just sharp that's all).
Well I have pretty small hands actually. Going to see which ones I like from the variety pack and go from there

As someone who uses several picks I don't believe that changing picks will significantly alter your technique (at least not with the picks I'm using). That said the pick I use the most is a Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.35 mm. Sometimes I use regular Tortex picks 1.14 mm and 1.35 mm if I remember correctly and also some other thinner picks like the Steve Vai pick at around 1 mm. The Tortex is a good pick. I used jazz 3 before but don't really like it.

I've used Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks for years. Was very happy with those and I got a lot of compliments about my tone when I started using them.
Then I found a chicken pick Shredder 3.5mm, tried it out for 15 minutes, grabbed my trusty Tortex pick and was like "This feels like totally cheap crap." Bought a couple and a year and a half later, still using the first one, since the stuff is so hard, there is hardly any wear. The definition is awesome because of the sharp point and the thickness allows for a good grip with my fingers cramping up. I would not reccommend them for acoustics or subtle parts though.

As someone who uses several picks I don't believe that changing picks will significantly alter your technique (at least not with the picks I'm using). That said the pick I use the most is a Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.35 mm. Sometimes I use regular Tortex picks 1.14 mm and 1.35 mm if I remember correctly and also some other thinner picks like the Steve Vai pick at around 1 mm. The Tortex is a good pick. I used jazz 3 before but don't really like it.

Definitely not true man. I've been using the Jazz III ever since it came in. At first it was difficult but it's been forcing me to play tighter and better. I can already see improvement. I was able to play 16th notes at 250 BPM without too much effort, not that I'm trying to be a speed machine, it's just something I noticed. I also changed my picking style too. But in combination, changing my pick and picking style made a huge difference. My playing will be tighter and I'll be able to play things I've never been able to play before.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is tired of their current playing limits.