Big pick comparison

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So since I started this thread a few months ago asking about pick options, I've been buying pretty much everything that was suggested (and a few that weren't but looked like they had potential), and after much trial and error I'm ready to give my findings! So here's the lineup:

Picks.jpg

1 - Dunlop Tortex Purple
2 - Dunlop Jazz III XL
3 - Dunlop Big Stubby
4 - Cool Picks "Phat Cat"
5 - V Picks Medium Pointed Light (I filed a bit down, here's a pic of it originally next to a Jazz III)
6 - V Picks Small Pointed Light
7 - V Picks Medium Rounded
8 - V Picks Medium Pointed
9 - Cool Picks Juratex
10 - Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz
11 - Dunlop Jazz III Ultex
12 - Dava Jazz Grip Delrin Tip
13 - Dunlop Jazz III
14 - Dunlop JD Jazztone 205

Impressions:

The whole top row is out without a doubt, all too huge and paddle-like for me, and the Big Stubby also felt very blunt and clumsy on account of how heavy it was

The V-picks were an interesting batch; I really wanted to like them because of how surprisingly grippy the plastic is, but I just can't jive with the equilateral shape, having a point digging into my thumb is very disconcerting and I couldn't get used to it. FWIW, though, my favorite was definitely the Medium Pointed Lite (#5), but even after filing it down as you can see in the picture, it still didn't do it for me.

9 and 10 were both great; I'm between them for my live pick since the Jazz III (my favorite, but we'll get to that ;)) is just a bit too small for crazy live antics. However, the Tortex (10) was just a bit too thin and unpleasantly snappy in feel of attack (hard to describe, but that's the best I can do) - I preferred the more dull warmness of the Juratex (9) and the sandy grip is AWESOME, but it's just a bit too big for comfort (though maybe not for live, but if so, then the Tortex wins)

The Jazz III Ultex (11) I liked at first cuz it was way grippier than the Jazz III standard, but the attack on this one too was just a bit too "snappy" like the Tortex, so sound-wise I wasn't diggin' it. The rubber of the Dava (12) was too grippy, so if the pick slipped from the ideal position I usually had to use my left hand to get it right again, no thanks. The Jazz Tone 205 (14) just felt too fat and blunt, but MAN did it grip nice, such a pity :erk:

So the Jazz III wins for me, not only in terms of feel but especially in terms of sound! The material just has such a warm full sound to it, and the beveled edges reduce those awful scratches that come from the Tortex picks and any others with flat sides. And here's how it looks when I hold it:

JazzIII.jpg

And while it took me awhile to get used to it, that's plenty of surface for some diesel chuggas as long as you develop the accuracy to use it! ;) (took me a few days, but GOOD GOD it was worth it for my speed and fluidity)

Obviously this is all personal preference, but I figured an explanation of my thought process would help other people determine how much they can relate to my findings and thus whether this is of any use to them! :D

Oh, but I do have to mention that the slipperiness of the Jazz III can get very trying, though I'm planning on ordering some skateboard grip tape to remedy that (thanks for the suggestion Adam!)

Shootout plz ... :p
Nice findings. Next time i ask myself in a store what pick should i buy, i now have some structure to my thoughts, thanks.
I agree with you about the with the scratchy pick noise thing coming from the tortex standards.

Oh, but I do have to mention that the slipperiness of the Jazz III can get very trying, though I'm planning on ordering some skateboard grip tape to remedy that (thanks for the suggestion Adam!)

Ooh, thats a good idea! I've nearly dropped a pick many-a-time at a show, but I've always been able to recover without fucking it up too bad.

Nah, haven't gotten around to it with the III's, and see no reason to with the XL's since it was the size that bugged me ;) How are they different exactly?

The red ones have sharper edges!
I used the black III's before, then I got blessed by the red ones (and the Ultex are nice aswell) - havn't used black III's since then!

Hmm, definitely wouldn't want that then, as too sharp a point still has that scratchy sound a la unbeveled edges IME! (the two lite V-picks were like this) The black Jazz III is perfect in terms of sharpness for me :cool:

Are you implying I left one out? Which one? If you're gonna say Tortex sharp, I DESPISE that thing, too long and bizarre shaped

Yes, Jeff Loomis uses it, and so do others - and then there are amazing players who use Jazz III's, and amazing players who use purple tortexes, and a certain amazing player who uses giant pizza slices :D It's all personal preference, I really hope you're not trying to actually prove something! ;)

Marcus dude, don't pay for that skateboard tape man. Go to any shop that tapes up boards (West 49 is the big one here, there is like 6 in every mall) and just take the scraps. The stuff comes in rectangular sheets and has to be cut to fit the shape of a skateboard so the left overs are MORE than enough for a lifetime supply of picks, I've done like 50 picks and I'm still on my first scrap sheet.

mob-griptape-l-prod.jpg

That's the shit I'm talking about btw, and I only put it on the thumb side, if you put it on both sides it's too grippy and you lose the ability to adjust your grip for different techniques.

Here's a pic of the first guinnea pig version I did, happens to be the only one in my wallet right now (taken with and uploaded to the web directly from my iPhone 3GS btw :D)...
pick.jpg

As you can see this is after trying the razor blade method :lol: and I didn't get the tape centered either haha... Shit sticks incredibly well though, even to a glossy pick surface. I've had that pick in my wallet for over 4 years.

Yes, Jeff Loomis uses it, and so do others - and then there are amazing players who use Jazz III's, and amazing players who use purple tortexes, and a certain amazing player who uses giant pizza slices :D It's all personal preference, I really hope you're not trying to actually prove something! ;)

Haha no no. Of course I was kidding but take a look at this and I'm sure there's millions more of people who use it on this very board, I'm just too lazy :D

Andy Sneap said:
definate better attack with the tortex. I'm a green tortex man myself.

DSS3 said:
I think my .88 Tortex's sound a bit better recorded.

metalkingdom said:
Every since I read that Kirk Hammett uses the green tortex picks, way back in like '87 or something, that's all I've used.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
.88 dunlop tortex (the green ones)

SickBoy said:
Always dug the green Tortex .88 picks

Kazrog said:
Same here! It makes a big difference and I've done recorded passes and a/b'd the stuff and I definitely prefer the attack of tortex to anything else.

Sweetnothing said:
About picks, the best balance I've found is the green tortex ones, they are thick enough for me without making the usual "pop" on thicker picks.

Tommy Gun said:
Dunlop Tortex "Greens".

Hapexamendios said:
Tortex .88

Herman_theGerman said:
Dunlop 0.88

Afaik, James uses them too but I'm not sure.

Last but not least I play the green ones too :heh:

Greens are good, but purple ones are my choice, my attack is hard and i don´t like picks that bend, yellows bends, greens don´t bend but purple are perfect, however i feel confortable with greens as well.

I have a gross of custom made intunegp picks, with my bands logo and, like the purple ones but in black!

Neato Bernhard, and I'm sure you could find just as many quotes from equally respected guitarists favoring Jazz III's (or any other pick :loco: ) And for the lulz

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, nice video!

I use something similar to the Green Tortex as well! :D

d351g.jpg

Honestly, I've never quite given the Jazz III's a chance. I always thought they were too small, but then again, I guess it would be just a matter of adapting. I'll see if I can score a couple next time I go to buy some strings or something.

All you guys with those massive paddles, I'm telling you - I played the purple tortexes for like 6 years, and only a few months ago forced myself to get used to Jazz III's, and now I can never go back; give 'em a try, you may find you feel the same! (but they definitely take a few days to get used to, but oh so worth it)