Guitarists: What are my pick (excuse me, PLECTRUM) options?

Those COOL picks, are they grip textured on both sides? I know the Ibanez ones like that are and I can't stand it... I only want the grip on the thumb side, I want to still be able to shift my finger position on the other side comfortably... I just stick a scrap of skateboard grip tape on one side of all my Jazz III XLs, works like a charm... No chance in hell that would ever slip.

Those COOL picks, are they grip textured on both sides? I know the Ibanez ones like that are and I can't stand it... I only want the grip on the thumb side, I want to still be able to shift my finger position on the other side comfortably... I just stick a scrap of skateboard grip tape on one side of all my Jazz III XLs, works like a charm... No chance in hell that would ever slip.

Yep, both sides I think. I honestly don't find it to be a problem at all. I can still shift my grip quite easily.

-Joe

Another vote for standard Jazz III's (the red ones)

I thought they were horrible at first, and way too small for sure (I have big hands too), but they are worth making the effort to get used to.

Damn you for planting seeds of doubt in my mind Will :lol: I guess I'll swipe one of my housemate's Jazz III's again today and make a valiant effort with it!

My problem with the regular Jazz IIIs isn't the size, but the material. The plastic is too soft for me and they don't sound powerful enough. I A/B'd them with the COOL picks and it was pretty clear. This is just preference though.

-Joe

I have a question..

Why are you interested in changing picks all of a sudden. I don't quite understand how the picks you have been using just start "feeling clumsy."
You have obviously been playing for a while cause I've heard your leads and shit, so what fucking gives?

You have something against turtles all of a sudden????

I only quickly scanned through the topic, but... has nobody mentioned the Pickboy 1mm Carbon nylons yet? The sharp ones with the weed leaf?
http://www.tone-toys.com/de/Hi-Modulus.html

Once I seriously tried those, I never went back. Awesome attack with SNAP, but without slowing me down like the Tortex Sharps did. And they don't bend either (like the normal Dunlop nylons I played before).
They don't slip at all and I have perfect control because I can feel the position of the weed leaf. I have very little of the tip sticking out the bottom too...

Still got a few Jazz picks lying around (never liked them, and their lack of attack), as well as many others I've tried over the years (stubbies, Gibson nylons, all varieties of Tortex etc.)... they collect dust.

Ive tried Jazz III XLs and i just found them disgusting after using Jazz III's lol

Also, there is MAJOR difference in tone between red and black jazz IIIs. You'll get a lot more chunk if you use the blacks.

I ONLY used the blacks and had the experience described above.

Different strokes I guess, but Marcus...grab a bag of those COOLs. Seriously brah...do it up!

-Joe

Oh, to add...

I used Tortex picks for a while too. If I try to go back to them now it feels like I'm playing with a quarter. I totally known what you mean by clumsy.

-Joe

pitch black
Oh god, but do all those Jazz picks have rounded edges? Arrgghh, I hate rounded edges, I feel like I'm stroking the string soothingly, rather than snapping the hell out of it!

EDIT: Ooh, nevermind, Tortex Jazz to the rescue! :)

Yeah uh, you gotta pay attention to the Tortex Jazz picks and the M1, M2, M3... The higher that number the more pointed they are. Most shops near me carry the 1's which are really round. Why would I want to buy a pick that's been... 'Relic'd'? I use the Purple ( .88mm ) or black ( 1.14mm ) Jazz III's. I'd like to check out the XLs but honestly I like the size of the regular Jazz III. I refer to the 'regular' sized picks as Doritos. They're so big and awkward to me.

EDIT: Here's a comparison shot; one too big, the other too small! :(

DSC00457.jpg

So that's a Jazz III and a regular pick? Doesn't look like the XL Jazz III is gonna be much different if it's only half the difference between the two.

Nonsense.

Your opinions are mere placeholders until you find out what my irrefutably superior views of existence really are.

OBEY.

Jeff

Seriously, Broll should be obeyed. Denying truth is utterly futile.

i used to use jazz III's in my band days but always was pissed at the lack of "chunk" when muting -
switched to orange tortex .60mm and they sound great!!!

Jim Dunlop Nylon .73mm and sometimes .60mm for FTW and I don't care what anybody says against them. I also use Planet Waves .61mm tortex picks for some songs but I find them to be a bit soft and muffled.

I went from Jazz III's to Dunlop tortex like most of you here. Till I found my pick.

My other guitarist just handed me the Paul Gilbert signature and said try it...
For me, It was basically the best of the tortex and Jazz III in one pick.

Not only was there enough grip and space to hold the pick without worrying if it'll slip, (while still being fairly small) for some reason it also increased my pick attack, and my notes are more articulate. Especially when I get up to 16th triplets around 130-140.

Interesting - so the Paul Gilbert picks are smaller than the standard shape, Dean? Hard to tell from the pics...

Paul Gilbert sigs are great, but they can be a bit small if you like digging into the strings.

I use these since a few years back. Wonderful picks, really lets you dig in and are sharp enough for shredding aswell.

fender_xhvy_lg.jpg

EDIT: Although the one on the pic looked a bit dull.