Guitarists: What are my pick (excuse me, PLECTRUM) options?

i thought tortex sharps would give me more agility and bite. Instead i just broke strings regularly...
So i'm still with yellow tortex wedges.

In the past I used to use Paul Gilbert picks but 2 years ago I switched to Dunlop. I bought some Tortex and some 500. I prefer much more the 500's...tortex are a little too much big and they doesn't work well for some shits.
The 500's (I use the 1.14mm) are thinner and I can hold them way better in every situation (fast picking, pinch harmonics, etc...)

Try as many different picks (size, thickness, material) as possible!!!

my main Pick is the pickboy carbon 1mm, since many years..the ones with the weed leaf on it.
and as alternative the firestone 0,8mm (these are carbon mix too).

and for acoustics, i sometimes play with different wood and bone picks, depends on the sound i want to achieve..
also on bass i often play with a wood pick, you get kind a "in between" fingered and picked (with a nylon pick) kind of sound.

cheers
chris

I use Jazz III's pretty much execlusively now. I can't go back to normal picks, it feels like playing guitar with a paddle.

Öwen;8262937 said:
I use Jazz III's pretty much execlusively now. I can't go back to normal picks, it feels like playing guitar with a paddle.

Exactly, once you go Jazz you wont go back!

Thats after using them for a fairly long time, at first I could hardly hold the thing but as Ermin said, you feel more like your fingers are doing the work rather than your fingers moving a chunk of plastic which then hits the string. Never tried these XL versions however, sounds interesting. I think im more acustomed to the original ones to chance now however :hotjump:

The Tortex Jazzs are nice (I find Jazz IIIs too slippery) - just make sure you get the pointed ones and not rounded ones :D

I've also been trying out these:

1144640983_TORTEX_SMALL_TEAR_DROP_423_250x185.jpg

They're about 3mm longer than a Jazz, but a little bit narrower. I'm actually quite liking them at the moment. There's a bigger version too:

2551.jpg

Which are the same length but about the same width as a Jazz - but because they're wider, the point isn't as defined.

Steve

I've always enjoyed the Dunlop Nylons. I'm usually happy with the .73mm, but every once in a while I'll use the .46mm for fun. They suck on acoustic though.

I'll use the 1mm for bass when I need a really cutting tone, but I've found (for me at least) that 1mm pick is too much for rhythm guitar.

I'll use a purple 3mm "Big Stubby" when I feel crazy. :D

The great thing about Jazz IIIs is that they make you feel closer to the instrument. I always feel like the pick is a buffer between me and how I want to actually be operating the guitar. With the Jazz III that distance is ever smaller. You get a similar sort of intimacy as when you finger-pick, which results in greater control.

Meh, too small IMO, as I said with the way I hold the pick every other downstroke was an accidental pinch harmonic!

I use these, COOL picks:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PKAGJ-H.htm

They were relatively unknown to me for a while. I tried them and fell in love with them. Bigger than a Jazz III, yet not as a big as say a tortex. They last longer than any pick I have tried and sound great. The sandpaper grip is nice too. I can't imagine using anything else now.

-Joe

Those look mighty promising, thanks Joe! And they don't have the rounded edges like the Jazz III XL's, very intriguing...