Big pick comparison

Yup, I've never really given the JazzIIIs a serious enough amount of time to see whether I like them more than my ultex 1.0s.

But as soon as I can find a cheap enough hook up for a gross of those max grip ones, I'm on it.

Re-reading your thread and after having some troubles myself... I'm definitely more interested in trying the Jazz III's. I'm having troubles with my pick making some scratchy noises in the palm-mutes... would you say these are reduced with the Jazz III, man?

Re-reading your thread and after having some troubles myself... I'm definitely more interested in trying the Jazz III's. I'm having troubles with my pick making some scratchy noises in the palm-mutes... would you say these are reduced with the Jazz III, man?
plectrum scrapes are completely natural...certain distortion makes em more audible, usually when you have a lot of highs

Haha, you didn't approve of my comment on your video (that or it doesn't show yet)

"Meh, just film your dog from now on ok? ;)

JK, great playing brah!!"

I remember trying the Jazz III for the first time. Playing leads two times faster in an instant felt pretty mindblowing :) On the downside they just feel absolutely aweful and inappropriate to me when playing just about every style of rythm. Been a purple toltex user ever since.

I just cant adapt to some of those small picks. I use the gator which, as you said, has the same awful scratching sound of the tortex but has an awesome grip. I also use the pick sideways (I may move it if I palm mute or do something that i am not used too or that the side-picking sounds bad), so it has plenty of space for doing that. Btw, i dont play much leads , so whatever I say should take that in consideration.

:OMG:

WANT

Hell I really want to try the Eric Johnson Jazz III as well...

HOLY FUCK, seriously - thanks a billion for that dude, I've scoured the Dunlop site multiple times and never seen 'em, how'd you find 'em? And Matt, what exactly looks different about the EJ Jazz III's? Except for his name being on there of course :D

plectrum scrapes are completely natural...certain distortion makes em more audible, usually when you have a lot of highs

Uhh, that's a negative - plectrum scrapes are only natural when you have a sharp edge causing the scrap (or your technique is especially poor ;)), and the beveled edges and not quite razor-sharp point of the Jazz III's all-but-eliminates them!

Haha, you didn't approve of my comment on your video (that or it doesn't show yet)

"Meh, just film your dog from now on ok? ;)

JK, great playing brah!!"

Haha, yeah, just didn't get around to signing in yet - done, and thanks! :)

I remember trying the Jazz III for the first time. Playing leads two times faster in an instant felt pretty mindblowing :) On the downside they just feel absolutely aweful and inappropriate to me when playing just about every style of rythm. Been a purple toltex user ever since.

I dunno, I think I did alright with the rhythm stuff I played in that ;) Just takes some getting used to, and James on here uses Jazz III's, and his rhythm chops are pretty damn impressive IMO!

I just cant adapt to some of those small picks. I use the gator which, as you said, has the same awful scratching sound of the tortex but has an awesome grip. I also use the pick sideways (I may move it if I palm mute or do something that i am not used too or that the side-picking sounds bad), so it has plenty of space for doing that. Btw, i dont play much leads , so whatever I say should take that in consideration.

To reiterate Will, they're worth making the effort to get used to (why is this such a difficult concept for people? :loco: )

well to be honest
what i love is a 54 in c
and big pick comparisons

not too fond of jazz 3's myself though paha

I'm weird about my picks. If I only had one to choose, like playing live, it's the Jazz IIIXL red. It has a large enough grip surface, is great for leads has good tone for rhythms and a large enough round side that I can use it for a softer attack on extended clean sections. But for tracking I use the Jazz IIIXL for leads, 1.14mm Ultex teardrop for rhythms and 1mm nylon for clean/acoustic sections.

Cool comparison. I actually graduated from the Jazz IIIs to the COOLs and couldn't be happier. I like the medium size and the material they are made of. It's strange that they are not a bigger company though! I've only heard of them on forums and such.

-Joe

Yeah, it was you who planted the idea of the Juratex in my mind dude, so thanks for that! But still, even it feels clumsy compared to the Jazz III's :D (though as I mentioned, I might end up using it for live playing if the Tortex Pitch Black Jazz still feels too small). And on that note, here's a size comparison pic between the Jazz III's and ever so slightly larger Tortex Pitch Black Jazz:

JazzIIIvsPitchBlack.jpg

Yeah, it was you who planted the idea of the Juratex in my mind dude, so thanks for that! But still, even it feels clumsy compared to the Jazz III's :D (though as I mentioned, I might end up using it for live playing if the Tortex Pitch Black Jazz still feels too small). And on that note, here's a size comparison pic between the Jazz III's and ever so slightly larger Tortex Pitch Black Jazz:

JazzIIIvsPitchBlack.jpg

Nice dude, whatever works for you!

My buddy still uses the regular green Tortex picks. We were jamming the other night and I was playing his axe. It feels like I'm playing guitar with a fucking quarter!

-Joe

Uhh, that's a negative - plectrum scrapes are only natural when you have a sharp edge causing the scrap (or your technique is especially poor ), and the beveled edges and not quite razor-sharp point of the Jazz III's all-but-eliminates them!
Alright! Looking forward to trying one out. Will try to score some today.

Definitely try to score the grippy ones Bekanor posted, hot DAMN do I need some! (though I doubt you'll find 'em in any store, ebay to the rescue! :D)

And Matt, what exactly looks different about the EJ Jazz III's? Except for his name being on there of course :D

I can answer this. The EJ's have a bit better grip due to the raised logo, and the edges are rounded (like they get once they are worn in a bit). I still much prefer the tortex Jazz picks as I prefer the sound of tortex and they just feel better to my fingers. I can barely strum a guitar without my Jazz pics.

Well the edges on the regular Jazz III's are rounded too, which I mentioned a few times since it's one of my favorite aspects of them :D And a higher logo I guess would help, but still not enough to make up for how fucking slippery the plastic itself is unfortunately, though those new Max Grip ones look to be just the ticket!