Dunlop Ultex picks

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
I'm sure most guitarists don't give much of a thought to the picks they use, and typically just settle in on a style that is comfortable and tend not to deviate much from it. Nor do they probably think a different pick could help improve their playing. I'd been using the Tortex Jazz picks for years and yesterday I was hanging with a guitar playing friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while. I noticed the clear, yellow, pick he was using and asked what kind that was, since I hadn't seen it before. It was a Dunlop Jazz III but made out of some material called "ultex" unlike the black nylon or red nylon ones. I don't know what's so special about this ultex material, but to best describe the feeling, its almost like the pick becomes an extension of your hand. You can "feel" the pick's contact with the string, and thus, can be more accurate. I immediately ordered a few bags from Musician's Friend as soon as I got home. They come in regular sized picks and also elliptical. I really recommend checking these out if you get the chance.

Sounds interesting, I've been using the Jazz III XLs for a while now and my only gripe with them is that the texture doesnt respond that well to sweaty fingers (considering it's summer now).

Sounds interesting, I've been using the Jazz III XLs for a while now and my only gripe with them is that the texture doesnt respond that well to sweaty fingers (considering it's summer now).

Yeah, i have to agree with that, still, they're the pics i use. But i would like to try those Ultex, they seem to have a better attack/response against the strings.