Picks driving me mad

a looong time ago, I just bought a bunch of different picks and narrowed it down to gray dunlop tortexes, 0.73 or something like that. just stuck with 'em. no reason to change what feels right.

I used Tortex .88s for so long it's not funny - then switched to Dunlop Eric Johnson Classic Jazz IIIs (they are red and have the Jim Dunlop USA on one side, Eric Johnson TX on the other) for the past 3 months or so. It was a significant change in thickness and size, but I have found I really like the attack and tone I get out of them. According to the Dunlop site they are "A Jazz III pick with an even more refined and smooth tip" for what it's worth.

Oh man, what have I started. It's great to see that so many of you have found picks that you love so much. Maybe one day I'll find that too (sigh).

THE PICK

35059_l.jpg

It's the sharp version of this exact pick that I like the most but the pick scrape/attack when recording bothers me.

See I had a feeling the Pitch Black were not typical Jazz III. This is what I ordered:

Ultex Jazz III
1173408843_ULTEXj3463x342.jpg

I've never seen these. Is that some sort of a grip? Looks cool.

Nylon Jazz XL (black)
1153431342_NYLON_JAZZ_XL_47RXL_GRP_463X342.jpg

"The same great tip as our popular Nylon Jazz III picks, but with an extended gripping surface for a better hold."

These are cool

Pitch Black Jazz (what I'm using now, only mine have a silver print, not gold?)
1144641265_TORTEX_BLACK_GOLD_JAZZ_482_group.jpg

I've not tried these either, they look good.

367342.jpg

The best. I can't stand to play any "flimsy" pick any more.

You don't need a pick that thick to avoid flimsiness! The good thing about these is if you hit the string right so that the string travels along the front edge of the pick you get excellent tone. The bad thing about these is that when the pick touches the vibrating string they click really badly.

Thanks for all your help brothers!

I used the big Tortex picks for ages, tried Jazz III's here and there and kept hitting the strings with my thumb - then I realized my picking technique was just shitty and sloppy :p, and took Will (Stinnet's) quote to heart - "they're worth making the effort to get used to", and goddamn was he right, such an improvement! And yeah, to reiterate, I much prefer the black to the red (the only difference is that the red have more give, which is not what I want in a pick that tiny), and while I prefer the sound of the Jazz III's for all playing, the Tortex Pitch Black Jazz picks are more comfy for me for rhythm playing (though Jazz III's are my #1 for lead), but the scratchiness from the lack of beveled sides drives me bonkers - and IMO, the Ultex picks were rendered redundant once the Max Grip Jazz III's were released, since the only appeal they had was a grippier material (though it doesn't sound nearly as good IMO).

Once you get used to Jazz-sized picks, anything bigger will feel like a paddle!

I'm looking at the picture of the Eric Johnson's and I'm wondering the details of these "Refined tip and smooth tip" they speak of in the description. You can see in the picture that they have a much less defined razor edge, but it does seem to make a difference in my playing. Whatever it is - I do like them better than the traditional Jazz IIIs - they seem to slide of the string with a little less resistance if that makes sense.

Eric Johnson Jazz III

1203036941_47EJ3-Eric_Johnson_463.jpg

Standard Jazz III

1153431100_NYLON_JAZZ_47R_GRP_463X342.jpg