Jim Dunlop Flow pick: for shredders

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I tried the new FLOW picks, by Dunlop. I'm saying "new", though I don't know how new they really are. Just saw the video from Andy James and John Petrucci saying how cool they are, bla bla bla.

For whoever shreds, I admit they are really cool. Their shape makes them "roll" on the string. It really kind of "flows".

Just on the first use I was surprised how I felt like I could play faster, and with less effort. When listening to John and Andy I felt it was sort of bullshit... But I tried and it's kinda true. They do improve your playing.

One major down point: that "rolling" or "flowing" doesn't sound so great on rythm guitars. Rythmic riffs really lack a lot of atttack when using those picks. That bite that you have on the pick strike is a bit absent with the FLOW, compares to, say a Jazz III. For leads, it doesn't matter much. Or actually I like smoother lead stuff, so for me less attack is nice.

For rythm, I just don't recommend them. Unless you have some technic to make them bite more... However from what I understand there weren't designed to bite.