Thinner picks are better?

I personally find the green Tortex picks to have the best ratio between tone and feel. Which makes me feel dumb, since I haven't had any around for a while.

Anyway, I switch picks pretty much all the time. I even played with the big ass triangles at one point. Yet I always end up going back to the red Jazz III's. They're so fluid to play, but still have some of that "snap" that I like. I've tried the black ones, Ultex Jazz III's etc. but the tone isn't quite there, even if the feel was okay. They kind of suck on acoustic though.

thin picks have a huge difference especially with palm mutes, much more attack, but also some might sound a bit more hollow, less bass but much more definition but of course it depends on what you are looking for the music you play.

I fell in love with the 1.14 tortex Jazz III's. The sound of tortex, the size and tip of the Jazz III. I love the smaller size. Maybe they'll make them in a few thinner variations soon

I still use the normal nylon jazz iii, I think they are 1.38mm.
Recently bought a pack of the same ones but in max grip. Wanted to switch to carbon jazz iii, cause they sounded a lot better to me unplugged, but through the amp it was a lot less clearer than the other jazz iii....no idea why.

Anyway, a guitar player I track right now used very thin picks too, and I didn't even realize that until after we where done with the album, cause it didn't sound like it would be that thin.
I guess they where around the 0.5mm mark, maybe even slightly thinner. Standard dunlop nylon picks I think, something I'd use for strumming on an acoustic guitar.
But since he digs in really really hard and through all the strings when palm muting, the thinner pick complimented that very well by being flexible enough to go over all the strings evenly,
and also preventing it from going too hard.
Really cool for stomping downstroking, pretty wobbly for faster picking parts though. But they weren't doing a lot of that stuff anyway.

Haven't tried if that would work for me too. Most of the time I think it's just getting used to playing in a different way anyway honestly...as long as it stays in a certain amount of changing it up I mean.

My band got a bunch of custom picks in the wrong thickness (1mm) that were thicker than what I normally use on guitar so I started using them since we had 200. Found my picking was more precise with the thicker picks which seems to be the inverse from what everyone else is saying. When tremolo picking I always found that the thinner picks would bend too much for my liking but maybe I just suck haha.

2mm Stubby Triangles on 13guage strings for me, maybe it's because it somehow compensates for a bit of sloppiness, I don't know, all I know is fast picking and riffs are a lot tighter..............for lead stuff (bending) I'll use a guitar with 11guage, having gotten used to bending and playing with 13guage when I play 10guage it feels like spaghetti.

I'm really loving the yellow Tortex TIII's (.73 mm), I was using green (.88) for awhile but the pick kept getting caught on the strings during aggressive strumming when playing live, so the yellows give just enough flex that it's no longer an issue, and I can still get precise by just picking with the tip

I'm surprised by the reaction to this thread. I was expecting a "just use Jazz IIIs (or whatever) and you'll be right" followed by a few +1s then end thread.

Massively so......

I cut your post down because it was too long to quote and respond to all of it. Good stuff though.

...A player with poor pick control would struggle to play metal properly with thin picks because it requires greater control, you can't rely on the pick being stable through fast picked phrases you have to actually control it yourself by not using too much tip.

I do think I'm a much better player than when I first started with the thicker picks. I was surprised at how little it bothered me using a thin pick when I tried this. In the past if I played with someone else's thin pick I hated it.

hmm, might be time to step down from 1 mm to 0.80

Try even thinner. I've been testing a lot of thicknesses and about 0.60mm seem to be the sweet spot.

Maybe I should give this a shot too.. I noticed the same for bass, but never tried it on guitar :D

Do it, it's the cheapest thing you can change. Though I'm not 100% committed yet, it's the happiest I've been with picks for a long time.

personally i have found that using a thinner pick has improved my playing technique (as has using less gain on my amps). i feel like thick picks and high gain can be a bit of a crutch if not used correctly.

Yeah, I don't know what it is but I just feel more in command, it seems more tactile, like I'm setting the string in motion, like more of my work is going straight to the string instead of the pick.

I need 1mm, if they're thinner they need to be really hard for me, but I file them pretty
often to make them more pointy so that I am only hitting the string with a sharp point.
Never found picks that are hard enough for me and still not that thick.

I've been sharpening them to a point. Makes all the difference. If you leave them just round standard pick shape you get too much of that initial pick scrape IMO. As for how hard you might be surprised, if you don't show too much pick to the string they actually feel fine.

Using Tortex III .60 and sometimes Ultex .60 for about a year and and I'm happy(used Jazz III 1.38 before), I'm really into the way the attack sounds compared to the Jazz's.

Yes! The attack is where it's at. And plus one on Tortex. It just has a nice bite to it. I find most of the other materials instead of giving you nice pick scrape on the attack they give you a horrible clicky sound.

I dont like super thin or anything. But a medium pick (.60) or so is perfect. I dont mind a think pick for "picking" but i find that a thick pick kinda gets hung up on the strings a little when chugging and shit.

Indeed. I think 0.60mm might be the sweet spot. IMO any thinner and it's too hard to play and thicker you start to lose the effect that the thinner pick offers.

I keep a bunch of Tortex .50s and 1s around and just use whatever sounds best for the part.

Actually in the Andrew Wade video both he and Keith Merrow talk about using different picks for different parts.

God I fucking hate thin picks. :lol:

:wave: :headbang:

One thing I've found kind of interesting is that back when I used thicker picks (1.14mm Tortex JIII's/the XJJ from InTuneGP) I couldn't play worth shit on thinner picks if I switched. Now that I'm using thin picks 90% of the time, switching to a thicker pick isn't an issue and I can play equally well with any thickness of pick.

Even though I've only just started playing thinner picks I'm finding this is absolutely true.

I used to use the Delrin .71s, but years ago I switched to the yellow .73 Tortex ones.
I like flat finish better.

The orange .60s seem a little too floppy, but there's a bunch of them in the "pick bowl".

I'm surprised by the reaction to this thread. I was expecting a "just use Jazz IIIs (or whatever) and you'll be right" followed by a few +1s then end thread.

Jazz IIIs are too smooth/not enough attack in them.

I used to use them religiously and I think they made me a better/cleaner player but then I switched amps and couldn't get enough bite on the attack. I experimented a bit and wound up using .88 Tortex for the better part of the last several years.

I'm currently using 1.14mm Tortex just for a change. I find they offer less attack and more fundamental than the .88s, which have a bit more snarl and bite than the 1.14s. I'll probably go back to 88s eventually but for now it's nice having my picks last a little longer.

Interesting thread! I've played 2mm for pretty much my whole guitar playing life. These here:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_110000_2.0_mm.jpg

To be honest I sound like shit with thinner picks and feel like I am playing a different instrument. I really can't go below 1.5mm, at least not on electric guitar.

The one thing I have discovered is that for solos I am starting to prefer these here, as they have a pointier tip:

med_small__JDJT208.jpg

They sound and feel great and it's the first time in 15 years or so that I am using a different type of pick regularly. For rhythm guitars (which is what I mostly play) I am not sure yet though, plus they don't seem to last as long. Ah well, life is not easy ;-)

I can just say it feels to me like I'd need a year to re-program my playing to get used to thin picks...

Hah...what a bunch of wimps that can't handle thick picks...:p

Seriously though, there's no "better" pick in my opinion, and no specific rule, whatever works for you and you picking style and whatever you think sounds good is fine.

The picks I use nowadays range from 0.88 TIII to 1.35 tortex sharps and for what is worth I don't really have any significant tuning issues because of them. Also, with the TIIIs the pick getting stuck in the strings is a non issue for me, I only get this with the thicker tortex sharps.

I've said it before in a similar thread, choosing a pick has do to a lot more with what feels right for you than what sounds better. I think that most of the time the difference in sound is insignificant, especially in a full mix, no matter what pick you use. Please don't tell me that you can tell what pick was used just by listening to a guitar track, that's bullshit.

The flex in a thin pick is what I hate, it doesn't feel precise enough.

i often flip the thing and hit the string with the side of the pick.
you can also "slightly bend" the pick with your thumb and index finger while playing, it's damn tricky to get it right though.

however...

43054186.jpg

Please don't tell me that you can tell what pick was used just by listening to a guitar track, that's bullshit.

I could say the same thing about guitars, pickups, amps, cabinets, and microphones - that doesn't change the fact that each one is a huge part of the cumulative tone.

Changing the pick changes a lot about the timbre of the guitar. As for you not having tuning issues... maybe you should pick harder. :D